• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Rescue Insurance??

A skydiver gets hung up in trees and needs to be rescued. Authorities figure the cost to be $10,000. Maybe rescue insurance would be in order...if there is such a thing.
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/26392053/detail.html

• Armini
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

There is. Some jurisdictions require it for things like backcountry skiing or ski mountaineering, where rescue situations are not that uncommon because of mountain weather changes. In those areas, they are not making a judgment as to negligence or anything of the sort, it is just a straight user fee.

But skydiving would not be an activity that would make as much sense for it - things do not normally go wrong in the same way, and when they do the opportunity to rescue is not likely to be there.

Comment

• Shep
      • Nov 2008
      • Columbus, OH
      • Hitachi C10FL

I can understand a need for insurance for backbacking, or being out remotely if you need major assistance and funds are used for search and rescue, gas, airplane, etc. What I don't understand is how it can cost 10k to get a guy out of a tree.
      -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by Shep
        I can understand a need for insurance for backbacking, or being out remotely if you need major assistance and funds are used for search and rescue, gas, airplane, etc. What I don't understand is how it can cost 10k to get a guy out of a tree.
        Easy, it's figured in government dollars.

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

Why the handsaw alone, GSA approved of course, was over $1,000.
          Nothing but the best for our citizens!
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

If you look at the number of men, the equipment used and the cost of the training it seems that 10K is rather inexpensive. Imagine being in the hospital and had 21 doctors worked on you. Or, you had 21 lawyers working for 4 hours.

Insurance seems like a good idea, you are doing what the general public does not do and when it goes wrong it should be at your expense.

Bill

Comment

• vaking
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2005
              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

Ditto to what Bill said. Skydiving is not a necessity - it is an entertainment. In order to engage in it the user needs access to airplane and other assistance. In other words skydiving is an entertainment for which user pays in advance to participate. Rescue is the responsibility of either the user or whoever facilitated the jump and accepted payment for it. So between the user and service provider (airport where that took place or company that provided the plane) - somebody will have to pay the bill.The debate whether need for rescue was result of user error or equipment malfunction or insufficient training or whatever else is immaterial. Fire department is right demanding payment and it is between airport/plane company and user to fight out who covers it. I would say government should collect from whoever is the easiest to collect and let other parties sue each other if necessary. The user who engages into skydiving most likely has enough money and/or insurance to cover $10K.
              As for the cost - the article says that 21 firefighters needed 4 hours to get the guy to safetly - that is over 100 man-hours. Rescue team is highly trained and specialized and probably needs some special equipment. In this setting $10K is less than $100/hour of very skilled labor. I do not think price is high.
              Last edited by vaking; 01-10-2011, 03:40 PM.
              Alex V

Comment

• os1kne
                • Jan 2003
                • Atlanta, GA
                • BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                Insurance seems like a good idea, you are doing what the general public does not do and when it goes wrong it should be at your expense.Bill
                I agree with this. $10K may or may not be a fair price, but it certainly isn't a cost that should be covered by the general public.
                Bill

Comment

• thrytis
                  • May 2004
                  • Concord, NC, USA.
                  • Delta Unisaw

Is the rescue insurance discussion that much different than the health insurance discussion? How do you require insurance? Do you handle people hanging 75' up a tree who do not have insurance any differently than a person bleeding in an emergency room without a insurance? It could be argued that skydiving is no more unnecessary than many things people do which impacts their health. This quickly gets into a political discussion.

Probably an easier way to recover costs for rescues like this is to build fees on activities through e.g. sky diving companies or backcounty/park permits.
                  Eric

Comment

• Shep
                    • Nov 2008
                    • Columbus, OH
                    • Hitachi C10FL

My issue with the cost is this: Since the firefighters are on the government dime, their cost is fixed, meaning if they sit in the station they still get paid the same, correct? Or, do firefighters get a "emergency" bonus when they go out and do actual work? I do see that certain variable expenses would be incurred; gas, water, etc.

While I do agree that 100/man hour seems reasonable, I don't agree that citizens should have to pay double for services. By this I mean we pay through taxes for the firefighters, why would we then need to buy insurance to cover their fixed cost if we need their help? I do think that a rescue insurance would be usefull to pay for say a search plane, gas, overtime, etc. where needed.
                    -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Capstone
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2011
                      • Garland, TX
                      • Ridgid 4511 (sorry :) )

Public safety is the reason they exist. They operate on tax dollars. We've paid them to train, we've paid for their equipment, and we've paid their salaries. IMO we should not have to pay additional out of pocket for the very thing they are in place to do.

The majority of the public doesn't operate dangerous equipment in their garages. If I cut my hand off should I get a bill from the FD for their response?

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

Seriously,

Who would waste good money to get you back, sorry, just couldn't resist.

You're now allowed to make one snide comment about my broken ankle.

Bruce
                        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Sam Conder
                          Woodworker Once More
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Midway, KY
                          • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by Shep
                          My issue with the cost is this: Since the firefighters are on the government dime, their cost is fixed, meaning if they sit in the station they still get paid the same, correct? Or, do firefighters get a "emergency" bonus when they go out and do actual work?
                          According to the National Fire Protection Association, "about 72 percent of fire companies were staffed entirely by volunteers in 2005 -- 823,350 of an estimated 1,136,650 firefighters."

I signed up as a volunteer firefighter about a year and a half ago. I figured if I could help wash the fire truck after the "real firefighters" got back from a run, then I would be serving my community well. I thought that there were a couple of full timers and then they filled in with volunteers. Wrong... our department is 100% volunteer.

I was also surprised to find out that I get $30 for every run I make. This is not compensation, it is reimbursement for expenses. Not only do I have to respond in my own vehicle thus incurring fuel costs and wear and tear, I am also required by law to have lights and a siren on my vehicle. The $30 per run pays these expenses.

With all that being said... I agree that it is just part of the job when we respond to Search & Rescue operations. They are by far the costliest responses for us, but that is why we are here. I do however now realize why fire departments will bill schools, businesses, hospitals, etc. for excessive false alarms. Once the tone goes out that there is an active alarm, we MUST respond, even if we are told that it was a false alarm. We have a nursing home here that had a malfunctioning alarm and neglected to have it repaired. We responded to the location 12 times over 2 days. With 8 firefighters responding at $30 per, along with the fuel and wear and tear on our engine, it was a drain on our budget.

Just the $0.02 from a first responder's perspective...
                          Sam Conder
                          BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

its an interesting discussion.
                            If we assess and require insurance based upon risk, will we then have more categories than smoker, non smoker for insurance? like sportsman, hunter, woodworker, skydiver, frequent driver-long distance commuter?

Ultimately we could have lower insurance rates for people who did not participate in anything - stay at home behind locked doors and never venture out taking risks on the street people. Because if you went to the movies you are at risk of auto accident on the way to/from the theater, heart disease from the popcorn, possible theater fire, mass murderers, robbery carjacking etc.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              If we assess and require insurance based upon risk, will we then have more categories than smoker, non smoker for insurance? like sportsman, hunter, woodworker, skydiver, frequent driver-long distance commuter?

Ultimately we could have lower insurance rates for people who did not participate in anything - stay at home behind locked doors and never venture out taking risks on the street people.
                              Some insurance rates are based on other than smoker/non smoker. Miles driven, primary/secondary driver, location of parked car, etc. In my area, which may or may not be different than other areas, where one lives will affect the rates of auto insurance, and homeowners insurance.

It does make sense that people who don't go out and lock themselves in are a lesser risk.

Comment

Working...