new drill motor

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bruce hylton
    Established Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 211
    • winlock, wa
    • Dewalt today

    #1

    new drill motor

    I am looking at buying a new drill[cordless]. I use the dickens out of them. I am wondering how the new batteries hold up to continues use and recharging. The first two Roybi's that I purchased were 1/2 inch chuck, 18 volt, and a finer pair I have yet to see. The last one that I bought is not near as good. After more than eight years my batteries on the first two are junk and the replacements that I bought 2 years ago are also. One finally died, so I need to replace it and I am considering the green one for my next purchase. Any thoughts? Anyone else tied them?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • 9561
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

    #2
    Your dying battery saga is why I avoid cordless power tools like the plague...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

    Comment

    • Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 1988

      #3
      I have not had any issues with the gray Lithium batteries to this point. My old black and yellow batteries have been relegated to my fan and radio.
      I have a little blog about my shop

      Comment

      • RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • 1179
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

        #4
        Bruce, HP use to have the Ridge

        battery drills (and other tools requiring batteries) with life time warranties. Three months ago I had two batteries replaced by Ridge w/o any cost to me whatsoever. If they still have this warranty, you may want to try Ridge. Mine lasted from Feb '06 till recently. As far as I know, Ridge is the only company with such warranty on batteries. Hope this may help you.


        the new batteries would have cost just under 200 dollars.
        Last edited by RAFlorida; 11-19-2010, 08:25 AM. Reason: cost of batteries w/o warranty.

        Comment

        • 3thumbs
          Established Member
          • Oct 2008
          • 162
          • Northern Colorado
          • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

          #5
          Originally posted by dbhost
          Your dying battery saga is why I avoid cordless power tools like the plague...
          I have several Craftsman and Dewalt cordless tools, and I use them every day.
          My "corded" tools may have been put away for good.
          DM

          Comment

          • cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • 2812
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

            #6
            My only "cordless" tools are Ridgid (I believe that is what RAFlorida is referring to). Ridgid-brand tools are made by the same company that makes Ryobi (and Milwaukee), Tektronics International (TTI).

            TTI manufacturers these tools under license with Emerson Electric, to use the "Ridgid" brand name on its stationary and portable power tools. (Emerson's "Ridgid" still manufacturers the plumbing, electrical hand tools, and shop vacs, and are not part of the TTI product line.

            The standard warranty on Ridgid-brand power tools is three years. BUT, with proper registration, there is a "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" which provides the purchaser with free parts and service for as long as they own the tool; and, that includes replacement of batteries, chargers, motors, bearings, switches, etc. In order to obtain this service, the tool has to be properly registered (registration information is included with the tool and is on the Ridgid website) and for service, the tool must be sent to the nearest authorized service center. Often, that requires the entire tool, with the battery and the charger to be sent in so that the whole system can be analyzed. (Certainly having a local service center would prove to be a big advantage in such cases.)

            While all that sounds a bit complex and/or burdensome, it sure beats the cost of replacement batteries every few years.

            I hope this helps,

            CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

            Comment

            Working...