• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shep
    • Nov 2008
    • Columbus, OH
    • Hitachi C10FL

Table Saw Gloat

So I was checking out Craigslist yesterday on my lunch break, and someone had posted a used Hitachi C10FL for $100. I drove out to his house last night and everything worked except the bevel gauge, which I'll fix later. He even let me do a test cut to see how well it cut, and he threw in a freud blade.

The saw is heavy, but for $100 I figure I can sell my BTS15 and a least break even.

-Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That is a major score for $100. Congrats on a nice upgrade.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I've never used one, just seen them at Lowe's. I always liked the demo unit. Probably would have considered one for myself if I didn't already have my Delta Contractor saw w/Biesemeyer.

Things I really liked about the Hitachi: the fine adjustment in the fence and the bevel gauge. If those are accurate, it will probably do absolutely incredible cuts.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

CONGRATS Shep, and a major suck to you sir!
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

That is an excellent upgrade. And a great score. Those saws are new enough, you might actually still be under the Hitachi warranty for that bevel gauge. Give them a call and find out.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

Nicely done! Is that a pic of the one you got or a stock photo? If that's the one you got, i'm even more impressed.That thing looks clean as a whistle!
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Shep
              • Nov 2008
              • Columbus, OH
              • Hitachi C10FL

The pic is a stock photo, but it is very clean. The extension wings have minor surface damage, but the rip fence is true, and the levers work great. Now I just need to get it from my garage and into my basement workshop.
              -Justin

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Definitely gloat worthy! Nice find.

I've admired the fit and finish of the Hitachi tools I see at Lowes. Hope it
                works out for you.

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

Nice score,amazing whay you can pickup off CL nowadays

Comment

• eezlock
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Charlotte,N.C.
                    • BT3100

tablesaw gloat

Looks like it may be a good deal ....especially for that price, and definately
                    a BIG upgrade from the BTS15 for sure!

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Let us know what you think after some use. I thought that looked like a good saw for the home shop, especially a beginning woodowrker, after the BT3 went out of production.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• JSUPreston
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Montgomery, AL.
                        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Y'all correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the new Porter Cable saw at Lowe's look a lot like the Hitachi with a different stand? Here's the Lowe's link: http://www.lowes.com/pd_101711-46069...ntity_sold%7C1

Edit: Did a little digging around, and it is basically the same saw. Gets a lot of good reviews from what I've seen. Since it's the same saw, it should make supporting it easier. Great gloat IMHO.
                        Last edited by JSUPreston; 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM. Reason: Pulling foot out of mouth
                        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Shep
                          • Nov 2008
                          • Columbus, OH
                          • Hitachi C10FL

Originally posted by Pappy
                          Let us know what you think after some use. I thought that looked like a good saw for the home shop, especially a beginning woodowrker, after the BT3 went out of production.
                          I was able to get a little time in on the saw today. The fence seems really great and locks down easily. The saw is whisper quiet compared to the old saw, and the dust collection appears to be pretty good. It was actually so good I'm considering cutting some MDF on it for a storage unit I'll be building in a couple weeks. I was originally thinking about doing all the rip cuts outside with a circular saw to keep the dust out of the basement (my wife and I hate that dust.) I only have my shop vac attached to it, but so far so good. Once again it's a big improvement over the old saw.

The only bad part about the saw is the miter gauge. It's the original pos that came with it. It's off 1/16 of an inch. I'll just have to remember this until I can spring for a new one.

The extension wings of the saw are metal, not cast iron. Before I bought it I saw some reviews from owners who didn't like this. IMHO it works fine. The top is flat and the extensions are sturdy. It was actually so sturdy my brother and I were able to pick it up by the extensions to move it downstairs.

The locking caster system on the legs work great. My old saw had locking casters but they were hard to get to. This caster system is easy to engage with the foot and it rolls easily on a smooth floor. You only get about 1/2" of clearance, but that's all I need.
                          -Justin

Comment

• poolhound
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Phoenix, AZ
                            • BT3100

Great score. Even without selling your old saw thats a killer deal and you should easily be able to get $75-$80 getting you a nice upgrade for ~$25 - Very nice.
                            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                            techzibits.com

Comment

Working...