• May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

9-11 Remembrance

How will you remember tomorrow??

Can't believe its been nine years.

God bless America

Bruce

Signature removed due to solemn nature of this post.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

We are going to watch out G-Daughter play in her 1st T-ball game and be thankful we live in a country where we can still do that. God bless all those who have sacrificed there lives for our freedom and peaceful rest for those who lost their lives in that trajedy.

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

I knew 2 people who died there, one the brother of a friend. This guy used to be 'Mr. Smiley', I don't think I'd ever seen him without a smile on his face in all the years I knew him. He was just one of those guys.
      Now, the best he can manage is one of those ironic sort of smiles, as much as to say 'ain't life a b**tch'.
      So sad, so many lives ruined besides the actual victims.
      My wife and I won't be doing anything in particular, but the thoughts will be ever present, there's no way to escape them, especially living in the city.
      You can't walk a block without seeing some reference to it, or something that personally reminds you of it. I guess there was something to be said for 'the good old days', when we didn't have the communications we have now as instant and constant reminders of everything, both good and bad.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

No particular plans for today in reference to the attack. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of that day, their families, and the many men and women who are in harms way protecting the freedoms we have left.

I hope this day never becomes just another date on a calender, much like December 7th to many people, but is remembered for generations to come. Not just as a day when a cowardly attack took hundereds of innocent lives, but also as a day when the vastly diversified population of this great Nation once again stood defiantly against a common enemy and prayed as one.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

My daughter lived just across the river and worked a few blocks north. Fortunately she was at school on Long Island when it happened. Her theater became a dorm for the rescue workers and she spent the weeks after working with them. She now lives in Australia, just about as far away as one can get from NYC. Try as you may it's not something you can forget.

I believe it's important for America to have an understanding of why it happened, although I doubt we ever will be able to understand.

Bill

Comment

• MilDoc

Can't forget that day. Heard about the first plane as we were getting ready for work. We were in the car when the second plane hit.

My wife said "Could that be an accident too?"

I responded "One plane maybe an accident. Two - no."

When we got to the clinic we heard all the news and all personal held a prayer session at noon. I will do that again.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I was working for a car dealership chain, at location on the West Side of Houston at the time. I was on the phone with our corporate office just across the river from ground zero when the first plane hit. I don't pay much attention to New England usually, so I honestly had no idea what the twin towers were... (I thought it was Anna Nicole Smith in repose...), I had heard it called the World Trade Center, but Twin Towers was not something I had heard it called previously...

Anyway, I was on the phone with Corporate, with our CIO, when the first plane hit, and more or less got to hear his disbelief before the phone went dead. All work STOPPED that day. We just stood in the sales lobby watching the big screen as the events unfolded. Customers, Sales staff, managers, mechanics, and even the guy driving the Dr. Pepper truck reloading the vending machines, I recall thinking as I saw the video that there was NO WAY this was an accident, and that it was a terrible, cowardly act of evil.

It's a terribly sad thing that as a nation we seem to have forgotten what happened, who did it, and what they are trying to achieve...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

We didn't do anything special.

I will never forget that time of my life, though.

We were living in San Diego with 11 days left to go for our wedding back in
                Lancaster, PA. We were going to fly out on the 15th to prepare. My clock
                radio went off at 7am and the DJ said something about 2 planes crashing into
                the WTC. I turned on the Today Show to shock. My heart has never ached
                more before or after that day.

I went to work and we were all in disbelief. My mom back home pleaded with
                us not to fly so we packed up our Nissan Sentra on Sept 13 or 14th and
                drove cross-country in 3 days. Traffic was light everywhere we went.
                Everyone at all the places we stopped spoke in hushed silence and TVs were
                on everywhere.

The wedding happened without too much trouble and driving cross-country
                versus flying turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We had tons of presents
                to haul back and my wife had never seen the country. We had no
                honeymoon planned so we made a trip of it. The Lost Sea in Tennessee,
                Graceland, Painted Desert of Arizona, Hoover Dam, and finally Las Vegas with
                a bunch of stuff in the middle.

It was such a bittersweet time for me. I don't think about the events on that
                day everyday but I'm glad to have not known anyone who died that day. I
                truly appreciate the service of the rescuers who were on duty at that time.

Paul

Comment

• MilDoc

Some schools are making an effort to TEACH about 911. Videos and all. I applaud that idea and wish it was nationwide. Understanding terrorism and not blaming an entire people for it is an important lesson.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by MilDoc
                    Some schools are making an effort to TEACH about 911. Videos and all. I applaud that idea and wish it was nationwide. Understanding terrorism and not blaming an entire people for it is an important lesson.
                    To a certain extent, I agree with you. However, it just seems like common sense to attach the blame on terrorism directly on terrorists... Kind of a definition thing you know? It's certainly not an issue with any one race, or class of people, and while I cannot say authoritatively, I do not believe the extremists speak for the mainstream of any group.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                      • BT3100

Paul,

I wish more people here in NYC think like you.

Bruce

BTW:
                      Three guys I knew, two were FD, one NYPD died that day and I also carry around the real time image of the second plane hitting the tower. Had to spend the night in the city, nothing was allowed to get out. Walked over to St. Vincent's hospital (the closest hospital to receive any survivors, quite a few people were there. We all waited for the injured to come, the docs. and nurses were just standing outside at the ambulance ramp, no one showed up, and all of us (had to be at least 300+ people) were just standing there and crying.

This was worse than anything I experienced during two tours in SE Asia.

I don't ever want to have that type of experience again.
                      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...