Been an interesting couple of weeks… (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Been an interesting couple of weeks… (long)

The weekend before school started (Aug. 14, to be exact) I went to get a haircut so I looked all nice a teacher-like for school. The haircut lady mentioned something about the birthmark on my head. I've NEVER had a birthmark on my head, so we got a couple of mirrors out and I took a look. It was a large, irregular, spot ranging in color from dark red to a purplish-brown. I thought to myself, "That doesn't look like a birthmark, that looks like melanoma." The next week I went to see a dermatologist. She took a plug biopsy and measured the spot at 2.5 cm in diameter. I told her I knew she couldn't answer definitively with out the pathology report, so I asked her what her gut said. She looked me in the eye and said, "Oh, it's melanoma. I'm so sorry."

Fast forward to this past Monday, when she called me with the lab results. She told me the labs were inconclusive, and wanted me to see an associate, a dermatologic surgeon. Yesterday I went to see the surgeon and her two munchkins (dermatology residents; both female—is every dermatologist a woman?), who promptly took out the whole spot and sent it off to the lab.

Again I asked what her gut said, and she said, "I'm 99% sure it's melanoma. I'd bet money on it."

Right now I'm sitting at home with a 3.5 cm open wound in my head. She didn't want to sew me up until the path report came back, in case she and the munchkins have to biopsy a sentinel node. So, I get to spend the next week with a gaping hole in my head (LOML says I've always needed my head examined) waiting for another pathology report.

What happens next depends on how deep the melanoma is. If it's superficial, the munchkins will sew up the hole and I'll be monitored for the rest of my life. If the melanoma got deep enough, it's more surgery and chemo. Right now I have about a half mile of gauze wrapping my head—I look like a crazed knight from Holy Grail!

I'll probably stay home tomorrow, too. I'm not in much pain, but I'm pretty tired. I really need to get back in the classroom; teaching gives me energy and lets me concentrate on something else.

I'm not asking for sympathy—I just wanted to give the news to my BT3 buds. I have a good attitude and I refuse to worry until I have something definite to worry about. Even if the news is really bad, my conscience is clear.

Thanks for reading!

Update

LOML and I met with Dr. T. and the Munchkins yesterday. The lab test came back positive for melanoma, which we all expected. What we didn't expect was the extent of the cancer: melanoma in situ, meaning that the tumor was on the top layer of skin and had not become invasive at all. According to Dr. T., (insert "I pity the fool… joke here) the size of the tumor and the fact that the middle of the tumor was regressing (meaning that my immune system had managed to control some of the cancer cells; meaning that the tumor had been there quite a while) usually indicate a much more serious cancer, usually Stage 3 or 4. To quote the doc, "I've seen some pretty wacky things, and this is right up there. You dodged a HUGE bullet."

Then she and the munchkins took another 5mm of tissue from around the current hole and sent that off to the lab to make sure that they got it all. Assuming that test comes back negative, next week I go back one more time and have one of the munchkins sew up the gaping hole in my head.

So, to drag out a long story a bit further, if I had to have a potentially deadly cancer, this was the best possible way to do it. Either I have really wimpy cancer cells, or a ninja immune system. I do have to go back to my regular dermatologist every three months for the next year, then every six months for a year, then once a year for the rest of my life. I think I can live with that!

Phew!!!!

g.
    Last edited by gsmittle; 09-10-2010, 07:33 AM. Reason: Updated info
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

I really don't know what to say but I pray that things work out for the best. You caught it now and the experts are on the job.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

G, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm concerned about melanoma myself, especially how ofter I've gotten sunburned. I have a couple of unusual looking (at least to me) moles, but my doctor says that they are normal. I'm a little overdue for my annual, so I'll have them looked at again when I go in.

Obviously, take care of your self. I can't imagine just having an open hole in my head...except for my mouth, and that's usually filled with either a foot or food. At least that's what my wife says.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Sorry to hear that. Thank your haircut lady for seeing it.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, just wow... I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. But I am also so very happy for you that your hair lady was on the ball enough to notice something out of the ordinary...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

G,

Sorry to here about your difficulties. I've had quite a few basal cell, and a squamous. I have the pits in my face to show for them. [Doctor calls those, "the good cancers.] So far no melanoma. I'm paying the piper for all my years in the sun. LOML and I spent a lot of the time in Palm Springs.

I have so much wierdness, I sometimes think that my skin is attacking me.

I wish you good fortune.

Steve

PS. Did you get your mystery box?
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Hang tough, Grover! Obviously, this is not good news, but you can fight. Do it.

JR
              JR

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Sounds like you caught whatever it is in its infancy. Here's hoping it's benign, and an easy fix.

Comment

• RAFlorida
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                  • Ryobi BT3000

G, I'm sorry to hear of your bout with the

suspected melanoma.We'll keep your recovery in our thoughts and prayers. With todays' medicines, they may be able to stop it in it's early tracks. One thing thou, keep up your faith and don't let it drag you down. Keep us posted on your condition; Your part of the BT3 family and we want to know how you're doing.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Good attitude. Worry about it when you know it's something worth worrying about!

If it turns out to be good news, you haven't wasted any energy on it. If the news is bad, you saved your energy to put up a better fight!
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• herb fellows
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • New York City
                      • bt3100

Exactly what Pappy said. Easier said than done, I'm sure, but you seem to have a better handle on it than I know I would.

If in fact it is cancer, if it wasn't noticed by the last barber it might be brand new and easier to deal with.
                      My sil had colon cancer. As soon as she found out, she looked in the mirror and said 'I'm going to kick your ass, you sob'. !8 years later, at the age of 61,she does 14k mountains in Colorado and doesn't have any health care problems.
                      It is not what it once was, the boogeyman is out of the closet and they can and do fight it and win more often than not.
                      Best of luck with the diagnosis, of course keep us posted.
                      Last edited by herb fellows; 09-02-2010, 06:07 AM.
                      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• gsmittle
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                        • BT 3100

Many thanks to all of you for the thoughts and good wishes!

Steve, the Mystery Box has come and is on its way to the next recipient.

One thing the first dermatologist (Dr. G.; I'm leaving names out for their privacy) told me is that in the last year a drug that actually works against melanoma was approved. It's evidently the only one.

I'm all about the power of positive thinking. I teach teenagers how to get up in front of a room full of strangers and perform, so I better be good at positive imagery. I will NOT let this put a crimp in my plan to live to 200.

Besides, I already told LOML that if I go, I'll haunt her forever. She's less than impressed with that prospect.

Back into the classroom tomorrow, despite the pain in my head. I'm going nuts sitting around being useless. Dr. T. and the Munchkins (sounds like a bad 60's girl group) specifically told me no woodworking for at least two weeks.

More details when I have them…

g.
                        Last edited by gsmittle; 09-02-2010, 08:18 AM. Reason: Needed more words in the appropriate places.
                        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                        Bill & Ted

Comment

• FL Buckeye
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
                          • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

Another "Wow" from me. Our prayers and best thoughts go out to you.
                          You display a great attitude and that in itself is an important med to get through this.
                          I had some skin c removed a few years ago and I remember waiting for the path reports. It seemed like forever.
                          Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope you gave your stylist a big tip.

Paul
                            Last edited by atgcpaul; 09-02-2010, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Rand
                              Established Member
                              • May 2005
                              • Vancouver, WA, USA.

I had a mole removed and was diagnosed with melanoma on my leg in June 2005. I found out when they called to schedule me for surgery.

The first thing they did was take me to nuclear medicine. They injected a radioactive isotope with something else (more on this later) in it all around the mole. They then positioned a special camera over the site. A black and white display showed a large white spot with little white dots streaming away from it. Most of the dots were going in the same direction. It looked a little like a starfield screen saver. After about 10 minutes the positioned the camera above my groin. There was another white spot there, this time with little dots moving towards it. That was the sentinel node. I was sitting there trying to figure out how they could find the node by looking at a black screen with a white dot on it. They used a radioactive pen. The doctor positioned the pen under the camera and put the tip of the pen right where the white spot was. X marks the spot.

I was then taken to surgery for a wide excision and sentinel node biopsy.

The wide excision consisted of cutting 1 cm of skin down to the muscle all the way around the site of the melanoma tumor. That was about 3/4" of skin. Since you can't sew up a circle the incision was about 5 inches long. The sentinel node biopsy consisted of them cutting into my groin and removing the lymph node that collected the isotope.

I woke up after surgery to hear the good news. The biopsy was negative! I was doped up and sent home to recover. After a few hours I woke up and needed to pee. I limped into the bathroom, started to go and noticed the water was blue. It looked like someone had put in one of those tidy bowl things in the tank. Then I realized - we don't use though. WTF??? I'm peeing blue?!?!?

It turns out that other thing they injected with the radioactive isotope was blue dye. The radioactive camera showed the surgeon where to cut but once he got in there he just had to look for the blue lymph node.

Anyway, that was 5 years ago and I'm still here. I have met a few other people that have survived melanoma. It's not the death sentence that it used to be. I can imagine how worried you are right now. It's impossible not to be when faced with something like this.

Hang in there. You will get through it.

Rand
                              Rand
                              "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

Working...