Air Hockey needs a steroid shot- suggestions on replacement blowers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Air Hockey needs a steroid shot- suggestions on replacement blowers?

I recently moved from a Duplex to a single family home, and my basement is being turned into a home theater/ game room. As a housewarming gift, my brother bought me a used Sportcraft Air Hockey table. I've caulked all of the seams to help improve air flow, but there's still a few dead spots on the table. I'm remiss to coat the surface with anything to make it slicker, as I don't want to plug any holes.

So the next step is to either replace the current blower, or add a second one. Does anyone have any suggestions for a not too powerful blower that can be modified for a air hockey table? I looked for replacement blowers, but they're for high end models, and run $200+. More than I'm sure my brother spent on the thing...

Thanks,
    Travis
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

What type of fan is it? I've seen some pancake computer-type fans that run on 120 before. In fact, I think I have an old one in my shop somewhere I salvaged out of an old cabinet. PM me if that would help.

Otherwise, maybe a used electronics shop might have a cage-type fan. Just up the street from me is a place that has a big bin full. Again, PM me if you want me to take a look in my copious free time. (Offer ends Friday as I gotta go back to work next Monday.)

I remember Red Green making an air hockey table out of some pegboard and two clothes dryers.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

Shop Vac?? If you have too much air you can punch holes in the hose.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Chris_B
        Established Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Cupertino, CA

Originally posted by Daryl
        Shop Vac??
        This was my first thought. You should be able to pick-up one or two from CL at pretty low cost. If you want, you could probably remove the motor(s) and install them directly in the underside of the table. The entire motor/blower assembly is typically only a ~6" diameter cylinder of about equal height. The last one I disassembled would have been very easy to mount in a circular cut-out.

Some MDF ducting should be able to reduce the howling sound.

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN

Gsmittle, if you think the fan blows enough air to help, I think that would work. Otherwise, I think the backup of a Shop vac is a good idea. I did think about a dust collector, but thought it'd be too much/ too loud.

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

suggestions on replacement blowers

You might want to try and contact a HVAC dealer in your area and see if they would have a small duct work booster fan that could be bought at a reasonable cost. They are simply a small diameter squirrel cage blower assembly that
            mounts on the bottom side of metal duct work to help boost air flow in a
            system. Another idea....buy a bathroom exhaust fan from Home Depot or Lowe's
            or other home improvement store and use that...they have a decent fan with a good air flow rate.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

have you tried cleaning the holes with a fine probe? Not enlarging them but just cleaning them. if they plugged up from the back with dirt and dust (fan have a filter?) that could cause dead spots.
              If you can get to the back, try brushing it vigorously off with a stiff brush. If you can't, use a probe a little smaller than the hole from the top or maybe even give it a puff of air from a air nozzle.

Some people tend to think a design needs improvement when it doesn't work right, i try and restore it to the original operating parameters.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

Is a gas-powered yard blower overkill?

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

This is definitely an opportunity to have a Tim-the-Toolman moment... arrghhh arrghhh arrghhh

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Redford MI.
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                    This is definitely an opportunity to have a Tim-the-Toolman moment... arrghhh arrghhh arrghhh
                    Ok start her up Al. I can just see the hair flying up and the puck being blown upwards through the studio ceiling.
                    Last edited by sparkeyjames; 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
                      Ok start her up Al. I can just see the hair flying up and the puck being blown upwards through the studio ceiling.
                      ...or Heidi's skirt billowing up around her ears... Dangit, she's got on jeans... (a guy can dream, can't he?)

Comment

• crybdr
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • Lake Mills, WI
                        • Ryobi BT3100

+1 on the bathroom fan suggestion... Shop Vac motors are noisy - you should see improvement with a cheap bath fan along with a double-check that the holes in the playing surface are clear. Just grab a sewing needle and probe all of the holes when it is not powered up. Any dust you dislodge should sit on the bottom of the air chamber after that.

Perhaps moving the table shifted some dust into the holes.....

I'm also not sure what would happen if TOO much air is forced onto the playing surface. I'm guessing that the puck might start to 'chatter' or 'hop' around vs. float on the surface. Regardless...MORE AIR = FASTER GAME!

Good luck.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2006
                          • Minneapolis, MN

I'll have to just suck it up and do the pin test method... Seems like a lot of holes to have to clean... But that's a good idea.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                            I'll have to just suck it up and do the pin test method... Seems like a lot of holes to have to clean... But that's a good idea.
                            thinking about it, it would be a lot easier to use an air nozzle with an inverted funnel-like attachemnt to the nozzle, to cover about 2-3" in diameter, Hold this inverted funnel flat to the surface, you can blow out a lot of holes at one time sweeping back and forth over the top.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BigguyZ
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2006
                              • Minneapolis, MN

OK, now that's genius...

Comment

Working...