• Show
Clear All
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

What is it with Texas songwriters?

I was in the mood for some rootsy music this morning at work so I put on Kris Kristofferson's new album of unreleased demos and songs (using Rhapsody). And that led to Jimmie Dale Gilmour, which led to Joe Ely. What a great bunch of songs. And I realized, there is something in the water down there in Texas that produces GREAT singer-songwriters.

Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Steve Earle, Townes van Zandt, Lucinda Williams, Kinky Friedman, Robert Earl Keane, Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, Delbert McLinton, Michael Martin Murphey (who currently has a horse ranch in Westby, WI, BTW), Lyle Lovett, plus the guys above all were born or started out their careers in Texas. Not to mention Janice Joplin and Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison...

Every one of them could throw away a song that would put the highest-paid Nashville or LA songwriter to shame. It's hard to find a bad song they have written. I should mention, I am a Townes van Zandt fanatic--one of the most underrated songwriters and performers out there. His song "Pancho and Lefty" is practically a novel in a song. It's a Shakespearean tragedy in 3 stanzas. One of THE best American songs ever written.

This dovetails into my theory that sooner or later all American musicians of note get back to roots music, the intersection of English/Scottish/Irish folk (i.e., real country music) and black blues. And nowhere is this better illustrated than down in Texas.
    Last edited by germdoc; 05-20-2010, 07:30 AM.
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

You missed one. Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Three more. Billy Gibbons, Frank Beard, and Dusty Hill, otherwise known as The Little 'ol Band From Texas, A.K.A. ZZ Top...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

OK, we could name Texas rock musicians from now til doomsday. It's a big state!

I like the idea of a guy with a guitar who writes songs that bring tears to your eyes they're so good. Like the first album by Kris Kristofferson. Man, that was awesome.

On a related note, I am going to see Lyle Lovett with his large band in Omaha in July. I have a lot of his stuff but have never seen him in concert. Should be a good time!
        Last edited by germdoc; 05-20-2010, 08:25 PM.
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Rand
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Originally posted by germdoc
          I like the idea of a guy with a guitar who writes songs that bring tears to your eyes they're so good.
          Here ya go Germdoc

Schenectady - Don Henry and Craig Carothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y_hpH3PTUc

At first it seems like a song about coming back to your home town but then you realize...
          Rand
          "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• guhor
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006
            • blountville, tn
            • BT 3100

Here are two more Germdoc - one from each gender: Nancy Griffith and Billy Joe Shaver.

Tom J.

Comment

• wardprobst
              • Jan 2006
              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
              • Craftsman 22811

Don't forget B.W. Stevenson, Willis Alan Ramsey, Freddie King, T-Bone Walker, Doug Sahm, Mance Lipscomb, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Lightning Hopkins and Albert Collins.
              DP
              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• frumper64
                Established Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Garland, Tx, USA.

Another vote for Pancho and Lefty as one of the great all time American songs.
                Jim
                64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

But don't you ever forget that Bob Wills is still king!
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...