• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

#$%^@# Mower!

Today worked on it some more - put in the fuel shut-off, changed the oil, changed the blade belt. Got on it to try it out, d@mn thing wouldn't turn over. Nada, zip, zilch. I have it on the charger but I am pretty sure it is not the battery.

I talked to my wife and if I want to I can put my part of the bonus towards a new mower, she has agreed we can cover the rest. I don't GARA about a new mower per se, I just don't want this problem any more. I've decided to do some more troubleshooting, but if it means parts to fix it, will probably be a new mower and I will sell this one for what I can get.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Seems like such a shame to sell that mower after you've gotten to know every single part of it...

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I would have had it at a repair shop for an estimate long ago. Better than the aggravation.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Cabman, this is a new problem. Old problem should be fixed, at least temporarily with the fuel shutoff. A week ago it would at least attempt to turn over. Now it is not even doing that.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

mower

Sounds like it may be one of the safety switches has gone south on you.
          Have you checked or attempted a by pass on them to see if this is the problem?
          Riding mowers have one under the seat called a "deadman switch" for the obvious problem of no one in the seat won't crank/run, brake/clutch switch
          underneath mower near brake/ clutch pedal it must be disengaged(clutch) so it will let engine crank.Newer models sometimes have a low oil sensor, too low of an oil level ...engine won't crank.Also check blade engagement/deck lever switch ...won't let engine crank if it is engaged either (deck must be disengaged). These things are usually the culprit, check them before buying a new machine.....might be the answer.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

David

Are all your OSHA approved safety switch's connected and adjusted. Had same problem with rider at Church had to go through and clean all the contact and make sure every thing was right The was one and brake/clutch pedal. one and blade adjusting lever one under the seat. Once I got them cleaned and adjusted it cranked and started. The way you your apart you might have missed something

Tom

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I know the problem is most likely a safety switch somewhere, I am just not sure I want to spend the time tracking it down. I just have to decide how badly I want the lathe tools and sharpening jig....
              David

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

When I was younger, it was a challenge to fix anything. Now, time is everything.
                It might be worthwhile keeping. I would get an estimate rather than fooling with it.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

If I have to shell out any more $$$ it will be for a new or new-to-me mower.
                  David

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

If you got it repaired it would be new to you.

Comment

• williwatt
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Springfield, TN
                      • Sears 21829

My mower wouldn't turn over last week even after 2 hours on the charger. A new battery fixed it right up. Battery was the original on a 2-year old mower.

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

The battery is two weeks old and worked last week. I don't think it is the battery.
                        David

Comment

• tommyt654
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2008

What model mower was this again?

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

It is a Troy-Bilt Pony. 17hp motor, 42" deck. It is an '04, I got it from a guy in '06 but it had been barely used.
                            David

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

If it's not the battery, have you checked the starter, solenoid (if any), and fusible link (if any)? How about the carburetor, gas, gas lines, filter, junk in the tank? How about the spark plugs, wires, etc.? Getting any spark? If it cranks, does any smoke come out the exhaust, if so, what color? How about wet gas out the exhaust pipe? Is there a "master" "off" switch?

Comment

Working...