• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Tornado Was Close

Reports yesterday included a tornado warning. Sure 'nuf, one touched down about a mile away. It was on the ground for 2 miles.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

That's scary. We had one come through about 35 years ago, and it took my garage with it. Glad you're OK.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Ed62
      That's scary. We had one come through about 35 years ago, and it took my garage with it. Glad you're OK.

Ed

Thanks. During Wilma, a tornado removed the whole shell of one of two 10'x12' metal sheds. It left the contents (discombobulated). In the picture below, you can see the sister shed to the left. it was well protected. I shudder to think of all that sheet metal flying through the air. I never found it.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

About 25 years ago, I had the good fortune to have a tornado destroy 2 houses 500 yards to the west of me, then jump over my house and destroy 3 homes 500 yards to the east. I only lost a half dozen shingles. Why that happened that way, I will never know, but I'm sure glad it did.

Storms that came through south of Orlando a couple of days ago had tornadoes, wind gusts of 80-100mph and 2"-3" hail! Glad that one missed us, too...

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I feel for ya. We had plenty of damage from tornadoes in '08. One about six months prior to Ike, exactly one week after I put up the new fence, then Ike spun off a few tornadoes that didn't quite touch ground but spun the tops off of several of my trees...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
            I feel for ya. We had plenty of damage from tornadoes in '08. One about six months prior to Ike, exactly one week after I put up the new fence, then Ike spun off a few tornadoes that didn't quite touch ground but spun the tops off of several of my trees...

Wilma did a number on my trees too. The one in the picture got a big hit. It's the Mango that I recently cut down. I also lost a Eucalyptus tree that got uprooted.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

There were a couple tornadoes here - about 40 minutes west of me. Somebody I know had 4 trees blown over along the edge of his property. The kids' trampoline also got blown into the pool. About 10 years ago my folks got some more pasture land after what they think was a tornado blew some trees over.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                Veteran Member
                • May 2007
                • Tacoma, WA
                • BT3000

Glad no one had an uplifting experience. We usually have to worry about forest fires from the storms and not tornadoes.

Today they are forecasting heavy rain and thunder, wonder how it's done without the lightning?

Bill

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

When I lived in TX, a tornado (maybe a micro-burst?) destroyed a new townhouse complex about a mile from me - and nothing else. The complex was nearly finished, but fortunately was unoccupied. I also worked with an older woman who had been carried 2-3 miles by a tornado when she was ~3, and only had minor injuries. She had some interesting photos and newspaper stories from the event.
                  Bill

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • On the TARDIS
                    • BT 3100

They're rare up here but we do sometimes get them. One many years ago took out the screen of the local drive in theater. What was playing? You guessed it....Twister
                    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• billwmeyer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Weir, Ks, USA.
                      • BT3000

We have had a couple of deady ones in our area the past few years. One of the stranger things that happened was one of them took out 1 in a series of Turkey houses and left the turkeys. The turkeys having never been out of that house before just stood in the same area that the builing was in. It was warm and most died from the heat. There was shade available, but they never left the area they were used to. The owner had major damage in several places and by the time he got there it was too late.

Bill
                      "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

our weather can be downright scary!! C-man, is that a gumbo limbo tree in the upper right quadrant?
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• eezlock
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Charlotte,N.C.
                          • BT3100

tornado was close

The tornado that hit here on Sunday was close to us as well. It hit about
                          15 minutes before 6 o'clock and we were at church and starting the evening service when the lights went out and a fireman from the fire dept across the street came and told us a tornado was headed our way. The tornado missed
                          the church but it did hit in a housing development across the street and did some damage there. It then went across the interstate highway about
                          1/4 mile away and hit in our preachers' back yard, took down a couple of pine trees, jumped over his house and hit in the front yard and took down several
                          Bradford pear trees...and never touched his house or his daughter's car in the driveway ! I guess the good Lord is looking after some of us all the time whether
                          we realize it or not! eezlock

Comment

Working...