• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

1 in 3 babies in the USA... :-o

Apparently one of every three babies born in the USA in 2007 was by c-section. Really? 1 in 3?

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned, but this just seems wrong to me... Am I off base here?

CDC, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, NCHS, National Center for Health Statistics, 404, page not found, Data & Stats
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Hopefully they were all conceived the old-fashioned way.....
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Yeah, I saw that on TV last night. Apparently, it's the #1 surgery in the US,
      too. I was surprised.

My wife is pregnant now and she wants to avoid it if possible. Before she got
      pregnant, she watched this documentary produced by Ricki Lake. The trailer
      alone gives you a pretty good sense as to why C-sections are so popular.

Paul

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

If men gave birth it would always be by C-section, with the incision strategically located in the groove beneath our bellies. Beer and pretzels and ESPN would be available in the recovery room. We could schedule the births right after major sports league championships, or for nights when Dancing with the Stars is on.

Having it "natural"? I don't think so...
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Doctors performing c-sections are assured of making their tee times?

Comment

• germdoc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Omaha, NE
            • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by cgallery
            Doctors performing c-sections are assured of making their tee times?
            Yes, and they get paid more to do surgery than catch a kid the other way.

However, the 2 biggest drivers re' C-section rate are women's expectations (little pain, perfect outcome, predictability) and doctors' fears of lawsuits when things go wrong with natural childbirth.
            Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

I used to date a "princess" that thought natural childbirth meant no makeup.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

apparently 2 out of 3 babies came thru the you know where.

I meant the Stork's blanket.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-24-2010, 07:01 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

We have no kids but my wife's sister had 4, including the last one at age 54

All were natural births as far as I know. I was even invited into the delivery room for number 3 (I declined, TMI).

Conceiving the last one required a little modern medicine, however.

Comment

• natausch
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • Aurora, IL
                    • BT3000 - 15A

Not that surprising, Babies have become massive due to proper pre-natal care.Not that I'll be around but I imagine in a hundred years surgical removal will be the norm.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by natausch
                      Not that surprising, Babies have become massive due to proper pre-natal care.Not that I'll be around but I imagine in a hundred years surgical removal will be the norm.
                      I don't think that's it -- it doesn't make any sense to me that "proper" care would result in a baby that's too big for natural birth. I mean if the baby gets too big, then the prenatal care probably isn't very appropriate.

Also: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...267586344.html
                      Last edited by Alex Franke; 03-24-2010, 11:46 PM. Reason: added example
                      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Alex Franke
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • Chapel Hill, NC
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by germdoc
                        However, the 2 biggest drivers re' C-section rate are women's expectations (little pain, perfect outcome, predictability) and doctors' fears of lawsuits when things go wrong with natural childbirth.
                        I wonder how much fertility treatment & multiples (along with mother's age actually) contribute to it, too...

Comment

• JSUPreston
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Montgomery, AL.
                          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

For some reason I can't get Bill Cosby's "Himself" out of my head.

"Push 'em out, shove 'em out, way out! <thud>, Push 'em out, shove 'em out, way out!"
                          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

Working...