• Delta

College Billboard Goof Up

Not good advertising.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Understandable... English is no longer the primary language here in Florida...

Comment

• charliex
      • Mar 2004
      • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
      • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

While it does look bad especially since it's an ad for a educational institution it is a common (the most common in my experience) mistake. For 16 years I did proof and QA for a printing facility. I would see this on a fairly regular basis and I catch it often here on the web. An interesting thing is that your mind will fill in the missing letter or correct the spelling as you read. Someone posted a thread with a typed doc where the spelling got increasingly worse, eventually getting to the point where there were more wrong letters than right and yet it was still readable. Quite possably most people who see this sign will not catch the error. I didn't the first time I red it.

Did you catch mine

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by charliex
        While it does look bad especially since it's an ad for a educational institution it is a common (the most common in my experience) mistake. For 16 years I did proof and QA for a printing facility. I would see this on a fairly regular basis and I catch it often here on the web. An interesting thing is that your mind will fill in the missing letter or correct the spelling as you read. Someone posted a thread with a typed doc where the spelling got increasingly worse, eventually getting to the point where there were more wrong letters than right and yet it was still readable. Quite possably most people who see this sign will not catch the error. I didn't the first time I red it.

Did you catch mine
        That's a possibility. The first, second, or third one?

Spelling mistakes bug me to no end--especially on restaurant menus. I'm not
        talking the menu of the day that's printed at will but the ones that they've
        actually gone to the trouble to laminate. It's just annoying that they're
        trying to sell you something but haven't taken the time to properly proof read
        it.

Paul

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

I didn't catch it the first time either, and I also don't think most people would unless they were looking for an error. It's pretty funny though -- certainly a mistake that should have been caught.

It reminds me of this little goodie that makes its way around the inter-webs every few years... "Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe. "
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by charliex
            Quite possably most people who see this sign will not catch the error.
            Did you catch mine
            Could that possibly be the word?

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
              Could that possibly be the word?
              You forgot "a educational institution" and "the first time I red it". That, and Charlie's comma key seems to have gone AWOL...

Comment

• charliex
                • Mar 2004
                • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Paul and Cman you caught me. My bad. I didn't notice the spelling error but my last last sentence says " I red it" instead of I read it.
                I am a lousy speller and an even worse typist so I am quite forgiving of others faux pas.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                  You forgot "a educational institution" and "the first time I red it". That, and Charlie's comma key seems to have gone AWOL...

You win...I wasn't wearing my Walgreen's "readers".
                  Last edited by cabinetman; 03-22-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

I noticed a factual error in the story.

"The billboard was not the only spelling error by an educational institution. Crews misspelled "school" in a crosswalk in front of Goulds Elementary School in Miami, on June 25, 2009."

Crosswalk marking, at least around here, is done by the city, not the school. But don't get me started on sloppy reporting, both in print and on the air.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

A couple of years ago our countys school board issued their yearly calendar with 31 days in each month.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by capncarl
                        A couple of years ago our countys school board issued their yearly calendar with 31 days in each month.
                        That must be the one they use when they go after funding...

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

It was unknown who was responsible for the spelling mistake: the school, the designers of the billboard or the person who put up the sign.

That is logical, blame the guy that pasted the preprinted strips of paper on the billboard for the content!
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• pelligrini
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • Fort Worth, TX
                            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Pappy
                            That is logical, blame the guy that pasted the preprinted strips of paper on the billboard for the content!
                            Could have been a one man show, designing, printing and installing.
                            Erik

Comment

Working...