• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Safety Glasses

I have 3 pairs of el cheapos, all of them have scratched lenses. Since I couldn't see very well my compromise was to wear them only as I needed to - working overhead, cutting chip board, etc. Yesterday that caught up with me. I was hanging OSB sheathing on the outside of the new room. I'd wear the glasses to cut, but take them off when I nailed it up. Well during the nailing a chip or something got in my eye. Ended up going to urgent care. It was scratched and hurt like heck. It is much better this morning but it cost me the afternoon + dinner with my wife. She doesn't often tell me what to do but this morning I am off to get new glasses. She's already found the others and tossed them and won't let me go out there again until I get new ones.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

She's already found the others and tossed them and won't let me go out there again until I get new ones.
    I say good or your wife! Really though, I'm glad that it was nothing more serious. I need safety glasses for work, and since I need perscription lenses, work witll supply me with what I need. it's second nature for me to wear glasses so I just have my "work" glasses with me in the shop. I also keep a few pair of the cheapies in a drawer incase some one else is in the shop with me.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
      I'd wear the glasses to cut, but take them off when I nailed it up. Well during the nailing a chip or something got in my eye.

Good thing it wasn't more serious. The last time I scratched my cornea, doctor made me wear a patch for a few days. I use either glasses or a full face shield.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have prescription safety glasses that are graduated focus, transitions (auto-darken in sun) and scratch resistant coating I wear pretty much all the time when i am awake, for work (I frequently drill holes, cut wire, solder, hammer and other such tasks) , recreation (fishing, tennis) and shop, They don't look like thick-rimmed safety glasses, they have thin metal rims but do have full marked ANSI approval on the frames and lenses in case I am audited. I also have clip on side shields for them but i admit i do not put them on usually except when at customer's sites for work in rated areas.

I wish they were polarized (helps for fishing a lot), but that's not available.

In many cases you can get your employer to pay for or help pay for these glasses if your vision insurance does not cover it all.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-21-2010, 10:12 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Good on LOYL! Good safety eyewear is mighty cheap insurance. Case in point: Yesterday I was using a pin nailer to pin a piece of Masonite to the edge of some plywood. I squeezed the trigger, and the pin bounced off the Masonite and ricocheted off the lens of my safety glasses.

Hope the eye heals soon and you can get back to work! In the meantime, take it easy and watch a little TV…

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

This morning it was a lot better. Last night at bed time actually there was a noticeable difference. I spent most of the evening on the couch watching TV with one eye. Today I went and got two pairs, impact, scratch and fog resistant. One is tinted for outside and one is clear for inside.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• tseavoy
              Established Member
              • May 2009
              • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
              • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

Being nearsighted, I wear glasses all the time. But also being old, I have to take off my glasses to see close up. When I do that I am quite nervous, especially when I am working on the metal lathe. I wish they made flip down correction lenses like nerdy flip down sunglasses so I can see close and still have eye protection. I know I can take off my glasses and put on clear safety glasses, but I often don't. Bifocals just don't do it.
              Maybe I can just remove the bows from drugstore reading glasses and make make little fittings to turn them into flip down glasses. A plus 3.5 diopters on top of my regular glasses should do it.
              Glad you got away with that one.

Tom on Marrowstone

Comment

• phi1l
                • Oct 2009
                • Madison, WI

I have seen flip down magnifiers that would help, but I don't remember where...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by phi1l
                  I have seen flip down magnifiers that would help, but I don't remember where...
                  Like these?
                  or these?

Comment

• tseavoy
                    Established Member
                    • May 2009
                    • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
                    • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

I looked at those. What I'm looking for are not magnifiers, but just correction lenses. Say my regular glasses are minus 4 to 5 diopters correction, but for close up they should be only minus 1-2 diopters. So I get reading glasses of plus 3 diopters and it works pretty good. I was just out in the shop and I did remove the bows from the reading glasses. Now I have to scout around the shop again and find some plastic to make the "holder onners". Remember Optigrab, the invention of Steve Martin in the movie The Jerk?

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I'm very fortunate in that my employer provides safety glasses free of charge and every employee was required to wear them in the shop areas. Since most of the office areas are surrounded by shop, probably 98% of the employees had to have safety glasses.

Even in retirement, the company will permit me to get a free pair of safety glasses each year. So, I've made it a practice to update if my prescription changes and at my age, I don't like bifocals and at my age, it's essential to have glasses for particular distances. Therefore, I've got to have a pair for close-up detail work and another pair for typical shop work which is focused between 3 and 4 feet or so. Though lightweight, I've learned that polycarbonate lenses scratch too easily so I insist on getting glass lenses.

I've been wearing glasses since I was about 12, so glasses are worn on all but rare occasions. Likewise, I keep my earmuffs hanging right off the end of my RAS, where they're always handy and I always were them, even when just running the shop vac.... Now, if I can only get in the habit of grabbing that dust mask.

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

It is a PITA to don glasses, ear and respiratory protection when needed, and you will appreciate it later...DAMHIKT.

Comment

Working...