• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

I knew she was considering a book in his honor, and I'd be very surprised if anyone objected to use of anything related to his posts/threads.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by drillman88
      I understand the terms could override this, but is there anyway we could do a poll with the majority of the vote ruling to give permision to use any relevant material for Niki's posts forgoing copyrights . Anyone who gave as much freely should have this given in return. At least that is the way I was raised to believe.
      Drillman, you have the ability to post a poll like you mention however I doubt it would have any legal standing in the matter if it ever comes to litigation.

My guess is that as long as sources are given due credit there would be no violation. Such as "yada yada yada..." wrote Black wallnut in short rip fence thread on BT3Central on 3-16-06..........

However before someone wishes to try to profit from forum postings it would be wise to seek legal advise or at least research what is free and fair use.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Workingwoods

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm pretty familiar with copyright issues and laws, and we'll be certain to avoid infringing on any.

Different forums have different rules built into their user agreements in regards to copyrights. I know of one, for example, that reserves the right to republish someone's posts without acknowledgment or payment. I know of another that expressly disclaims any rights to a member's posts. In either case, it won't matter.

Since this book project will be centered around Niki's work, and is being done by Regina (who I would believe now "owns" the rights to Niki's works regardless of where Niki may have posted them), there shouldn't be any copyright issues there. Niki posted the same pictures and text in multiple locations, which I think would effectively prevent any single forum from claiming copyright. (Not that any of them would try.)

As I mentioned in my earlier post, we are also interested in seeing all the comments from other forum members, but except perhaps in special cases, we will not be quoting anyone directly. Instead, we might summarize one or more questions, then post Niki's responses. It will all depend on the types and scope of questions that are asked in Niki's threads, as well as the answers he provides. If we do run across something that we feel would benefit the book if quoted exactly as written, we will only include it in the book with the original author's written permission.

For example, there have been some very nice tributes written about Niki since his passing. Some of them might be appropriate in the forward of the book. Those would likely be direct quotes done with permission, each attributed to the respective author. In other cases, we might find one or more guys asking similar questions about one of Niki's jigs. In that instance, we might say something like "Several forum members asked Niki why he used the friction tape on the right hand side of the jig. Niki responded with this..." By summarizing or paraphrasing the questions in that manner, we will not be infringing on any copyrights, real or assumed.

Keep in mind that we are still in the early stages of data collection, which involves digging up everything we can. Then, once we've sifted through that data, we can make informed choices on how to present it in book form. I'm pretty sure it won't read quite like a string of typical forum threads, but will still acknowledge the forums as the primary way Niki used to share his ideas with the world.

I hope this long post makes sense, and helps alleviate anyone's concerns. Please continue to share any thoughts and ideas, suggestions or gotchas. It's all very appreciated.

- Vaughn

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Sounds like it's going to be quite an undertaking, I am really looking forward to seeing the end result. Please keep us informed on how it's going.

I would assume you know of them be now, but there are a few threads in certain forums that have made a good listing of Niki's postings. Here's a recent one:
          http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=49793
          Erik

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
            • Dec 2005
            • Russell, NY, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Vaughn, I will state now that I have no objections to the use of any post between Niki and me. Also sure would like to buy the book when its done.
            RuffSawn
            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Include me in approval of use for any comments I made.

If you need a notarized release, just ask.

Bruce
              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Workingwoods

Thanks to those of you who've given advance permission to quote. If we do end up using any direct quotes I'll contact you here via PM...I'm guessing there will be a simple release form that'll go out to everyone. Those kinds of decisions are still down the road a little bit, but your willingness to help is very appreciated. I know Regina has been peeking at this thread, and she also appreciates the warm responses.

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

Originally posted by jussi
                  No just 2nd one
                  You can have both of mine if you want. Be aware they eat a LOT.

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• windfall
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2007

A different forum from 2007 has an aggregate of some of Niki's posts

This might be helpful for your project--

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17581

Comment

• Workingwoods

Thanks, Windfall. I've got that list already, but I do appreciate you posting the link. Along with BT3Central, that forum is definitely also in my sights.

Comment

Working...