This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Workingwoods

About Niki's posts

Apologies in advance for dragging up an old thread, but I figured the folks here at BT3Central might be interested...

I'm Vaughn McMillan, a woodworker (woodturner, primarily) and a technical writer and editor. Although I don't recall posting here at BT3Central, I've lurked for several years. Some of you may know me from other woodworking forums. Like many of you, I was an online friend and admirer of Niki's.

At the request of Niki's widow Regina, I am working with her on a book project. We have begun gathering and cataloging all of Niki's tutorial posts from all the forums he posted to, and plan to publish them in paperback book form as a tribute to his work. It is Regina's intent to create a permanent and tangible record of Niki's ingenuity, and make it available (most likely via Amazon so it can be distributed worldwide) at an affordable cost to as many people as possible. Her motive is to share and honor, not profit. Regina has no book publishing experience, so when I told her that I do, she asked me to help. For the record, my only payment will be the knowledge that I'm helping to honor a man who selflessly helped thousands of other woodworkers.

As you likely know, Niki participated in quite a few forums around the world. Although he often posted the same pictures and tutorials on different sites, the comments and questions that followed those posts differed from site to site, and those discussions often added details or clarity to Niki's original post. Gathering all of those posts is going to be a formidable task. (Due to copyright and content ownership issues, we don't plan to include all the posts from others, but we may decide to summarize specific questions and include Niki's answers in the book.)

I am mentioning this project to you, since we could use some help gathering questions and comments regarding Niki's posts on the BT3Central forums. I'm looking for someone who has the time and energy to extract Niki's threads (including the comments) from the forums here and put them into consolidated files (Word documents, preferably). We're mostly interested in the text, since the photos were the same from forum to forum.

If you can help, please send me a message at book [at] workingwoods.com. If you can't help, I understand and appreciate your time.

Thanks in advance, and if you have any bright ideas that might help us or the book, please don't hesitate to let me know.

All the best -

- Vaughn McMillan
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Vaughn, I've moved this to a new thread so as to not derail the old one. I think the copyrights involved might be a deal killer but then that would be a legal determination and I'm not a copyright lawyer.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Does copyright apply? These are all public comments on public forums. I don't see any IP to protect here. Do all of our posts become the IP of the forum?
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Good questions David that should be researched and answered sooner rather than later in this type of enterprise.

©

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Ok, I don't see a date on this, but it appears there is no clear law as to copyright of posts on forums:

Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.

Certainly in this case, I would ask permission of the authors of the posts to use them. Just for the record, I hereby grant permission. Of course, that is a bit of hubris on my part presuming that my comments would actually get used.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

It sounds like it depends on the Terms of use for the forum. Do we have a terms of use? I just briefly checked & didn't notice a link to any Terms of use.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

I know we do have terms of use that we all agreed to when we signed up but darned if I can find them.

©

Comment

• phi1l
                • Oct 2009
                • Madison, WI

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                I know we do have terms of use that we all agreed to when we signed up but darned if I can find them.

I hope there was nothing about possession of the first born in there

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by phi1l
                  I hope there was nothing about possession of the first born in there
                  No just 2nd one
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by Workingwoods
                    We're mostly interested in the text, since the photos were the same from forum to forum.

- Vaughn McMillan

This would be a great undertaking. If it's the text needed, a search of "Find all posts by Niki" would include the text and pictures (if not dropped). The threads may have some text, but the pictures also carry text. One without the other could be very confusing.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Weir, Ks, USA.
                      • BT3000

Vaughn,

Good luck on your venture and let us know when the book is for sale. I will purchase the book.

Bill
                      "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

Anyone who posts on this forum and later wants to assert copyright is probably going to have a tough time in the courts unless they added a copyright notice, which none of us do. It doesn't mean they cannot sue and in the process make life miserable, but it's hard to see how they would win.

I'd be delighted to find out someone put one of my posts on this forum to good use.

Comment

• os1kne
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Atlanta, GA
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                          Vaughn,

Good luck on your venture and let us know when the book is for sale. I will purchase the book.

Bill
                          +1. I'm glad that this is being done.
                          Bill

Comment

• drillman88
                            • Dec 2007
                            • Southeast
                            • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I understand the terms could override this, but is there anyway we could do a poll with the majority of the vote ruling to give permision to use any relevant material for Niki's posts forgoing copyrights . Anyone who gave as much freely should have this given in return. At least that is the way I was raised to believe.
                            Last edited by drillman88; 03-18-2010, 07:29 PM.
                            I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• pelligrini
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • Fort Worth, TX
                              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                              If you log out and go to register again you can see the terms and rules. I did that earlier today. I didn't see anything about copyright or ownership. I've seen some forums specifically state ownership & copyright, but I could find no mention of it on this site.

I seriously doubt anyone here would have a problem letting their posts be used for the proposed book.
                              Erik

Comment

Working...