• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

A little too much information

I had a couple of medical tests done last fall. I paid my $50.00 co-payment at the time they were done. Last month I received a bill in the amount of $2845.00, which was said to be my responsibility.

I immediately called my insurance company, and had a very helpful lady take care of me. When I explained my problem, she put me on hold while she called the billing office, on my behalf. After roughly 1/2 hour on the phone, she told me it was straightened out. I didn't owe anything further.

Today I received a bill in the amount of $2845.00. I called the billing office, and before I could tell the woman what happened, she wanted my patient number, which I provided. She then asked my name, which I already gave her, but I had to do it again to verify it. She asked for my address, which I provided. Then she asked me for my phone number. I'm getting a little hot under the collar by now, but I gave it to her. Then she wanted my birth date. I gave it to her, and then told her before she asked, my last bowel movement was 8:30 this morning.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I know it was a PITA, but frankly, I'd count the hairs on my butt for her if she got that bill cleared up...

Comment

• natausch
      Established Member
      • Aug 2009
      • Aurora, IL
      • BT3000 - 15A

Insurance is like virginity, you only have it if you don't need it and losing it and getting... *ahhm* rhymes with what you do with a bicycle tire, are one in the same.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by Ed62
        I gave it to her, and then told her before she asked, my last bowel movement was 8:30 this morning.

Ed

Good for you to keep a log of those movements. You never know when it'll come in handy.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Ed, I feel your pain. When my wife was pregnant with our second one, the lab that did her blood work kept submitting the claims incorrectly. I tried 3 times with them to get it cleared up before I gave the rep my insurance co's phone number and told her I was going to let the incorrect bills go to collections before I tried fixing it again. Never had another problem after that.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

My father in law got a bill for a pregancy test for his wife, 2 years after she passed away!

That bill got straightened out in a hurry.

Bill
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I have been relatively lucky. I had no bills to straighten out after my hernia surgery. After my wife spent 5 days in ICU late in 2008, I think there was only one company I had to call repeatedly. The biggest issue was that she was an organ donor (she went to heaven). The bills after she was declaired dead had to go to the organ donation organization (LifePoint) because there is no health insurance for dead people. I would get the bill, explain it, be told it was cleared up and then get the bill again. Each time they wanted to know address and phone number for LifePoint. The ladies were nice but the 3rd or 4th or 5th time, I don't really remember at this point, I asked for a supervisor. It took more time but I didn't get more bills. If I had not been dealing with probate plus a lot of emotional issues it would have been easier. Organ donation is still the thing to do but people do not ever need this sort of nonsense and they especially do not need it after the loss of a loved one.

Jim

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

The top of this thread is just hilarious.

We got a bill for my one of my daughter's tests when she was a newborn. They said they couldn't cover it because she didn't have a maternity rider. Thinks, "...and why would a 4-week-old need a maternity rider?" Sheesh.

They figured it out finally. Thankfully. Those tests are darn expensive!
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...