• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

A Neat Trick By Google

Way back when, gmail was invite-only. Brilliant decision by Google. First, being 'invite-only' somehow made it special so more people wanted the invite. Plus, chances are you knew who was inviting you and it is harder to say no to someone you do know than to a faceless corporation like Google. Heck, it worked on me. Now I wouldn't have stayed with it if I didn't like the product, but it was still genius. Google is taking the same approach to Google Voice. I use it when I work from home and give out the Google Voice number so I don't need to give out my cell or home phone #. I can also set it to forward calls to either number or on occasion my dad's house when my DSL is down. Which it has been, several times lately.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

so I take it you are sending everyone an invite.... then we will all have your phone number and.......

ok serious, can the number receive a fax?

bill
    it rains so much here that:
    the neighbor kid said that 3 kids in her class are named Noah, and one of them is a girl....
    the fence posts are starting to sprout....

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

How does Google Voice work?
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• os1kne
        • Jan 2003
        • Atlanta, GA
        • BT3100

I'm curious about this also, my use would likely be very similar to crockett's.
        Bill

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I don't know if you can fax over google voice. Generally data transmission doesn't work too well over VoIP.

The way Google voice works is you set up an account and it gives you a phone # based on your area. I think you might be able to pick whatever part of the country you want. Then you register existing phones with it and once the phones are confirmed (the google computer calls you) then you can have it forward calls from the Google # to whatever phone(s) you choose. You also get voice mail - it emails you when you have messages and you can make calls at decent rates. I've never done this last one, I think you need a mic on your PC for it.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

Sounds quite similar to Skype...

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
              so I take it you are sending everyone an invite.
              It is "invite only", but they will invite anyone who enters their email on the google voice website.

So it's really not much different than signing up for any other free internet service - they send you a link to click to join, they are just calling it an invitation.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by woodturner
                So it's really not much different than signing up for any other free internet service -
                TANSTAAFL

So how does Google turn a profit on this?
                Erik

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                  TANSTAAFL

I am assuming through advertising and referral revenues, but I don't really know.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by pelligrini
                    TANSTAAFL

they loose a dollar on each user, but they make it up in volume...
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• thrytis
                      • May 2004
                      • Concord, NC, USA.
                      • Delta Unisaw

Google Voice isn't like Skype. Besides some smart phone apps, it doesn't let you make or receive calls on the computer. Incoming calls are forwarded to another phone number (or voice mail). To make calls, you either dial your Google Voice number and use some special options to place a call to another number, or you go online and put in the number you want to call, you receive a call on your phone, then it connects to the other number. In any case, you need a phone to make or receive calls.
                      Eric

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                        • Grizzly G1023SL

I use Google Voice ... really saved me some $$

As the OP said ... basically you set up a GV phone number in your chosen area code ... then you can direct calls to that number to 'several' other numbers so that they all ring when your GV# is called ... that is only 1 cool feature .. for me the $ saving feature was on long distance ... on a land line ... I tell GV to 'dial my home land line' and then connect that to this LD number (can be ANYWHERE as far as I can tell) .... this is done on a computer ... then MY land line rings ... I pick up ... wait and hear ringing on the other end ... and then the other phone I wanted to call answers ... no apparent VOIP delay although occasionally there is a slight echo ... BUT ... it consistently saves me $30+ per month over what I was paying AT&T on LD charges ...

GV also has quite a bit of flexibility and function in it's 'answering machine' as far as recognizing inbound caller ID and allowing specific answering machine messages based on inbound CallerID ...

It's really pretty cool ... and you know ... FREE!!!
                        "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                        Bade Millsap
                        Bulverde, Texas
                        => Bade's Personal Web Log
                        => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

Working...