• Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Dust Mask with a beard

I can't be the only one here with a fuzzy face. How do you use a dust mask, either the paper ones or rubber/canister type? While my beard is not long it still makes for a poor seal between me and the mask. I have considered the full face mask with a battery powered air filter that keeps the dust out by pumping air across your face. They are a bit pricey and look to be awkward to ware.

I'm open to ideas, except the one where you Vaseline your beard and sort of glue the mask to it.

So what do you do?

Bill
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I wear a moustache less beard, about 1" long... (Think Abraham Lincoln...). I wet my beard down just prior to sealing the dust mask. It's not perfect, but I'm not about to shave it off either...

I had a goatee for years, and found the moustache to be more of a problem than the beard....

i have tested my setup by intentionally leaving the cartridges off, stopping up the intake ports with my hands and trying to inhale... My method works well enough for me, I can't pull air in without an exceedingly strong effort...

I've heard of the Vaseline thing from divers I know. No thanks...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• phi1l
      • Oct 2009
      • Madison, WI

Not growing a beard, I am not inhibited by any first hand knowledge, but I would think it that the compressed beard itself would provide a decent filter, so I wouldn't worry so much about dust. VOCs from spray painting would be a different matter.

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

Okay, I've had a beard for years. Best I've found for finishing is a forced air hood but that sucker was pricey as i went with an SAS unit- rate it 10.
        For wood dust I use the Air Trend face shield, the older model- rate it 8. The balance is supposed to be better on the newer models. I should have checked on the Triton but I got a deal on the Air Trend and it was close as I could find to the 3M model of old. It's pricey but it works.
        Before that it was plastic framed dust masks with replaceable filters for wood and a respirator with good cartridges for finishing. I'll still grab these occasionally for small jobs or short exposure, they are okay.
        I have pretty good dust collection and fume extraction but I won't work without some extra protection any more.
        Bottom line- you get one body, protect it the best you can.
        I've used up most of my nine lives.
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

If the paper masks were free I still wouldn't use them for anything except as a Halloween mask. Totally useless IMO for dust and even less useful for toxic fumes.

A well fitted two cartridge respirator, with a soft rubber mask works pretty good. Cheap ones aren't worth the money. A filtered hood breathing unit would be the most protection, but they are expensive.

Toxic exposure isn't limited just to nose and mouth. The body can get contaminated through the eyes, ears, and the skin.

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I either use nothing or a two cartridge as C'man references. I have had a full beard for over 30 years. The one time I shaved it my late wife told me to grow it back. I spray only water based finishes so the vapor is not terrible and I don't worry about what might filter through my beard. For full protection you need a full face, I guess, but I don't get enough shop time to worry much. I usually just turn on the DC, sometimes the seperate air filter, and do my woodworking. For me remembering to put something on is more the issue, not a little leakage around the protection.

Jim

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Since you ask about a "dust" mask and not a vapor mask with a beard.. I use a North CRF 1 available through Highland Hardware.. Amazon.. etc. Around $35 with 30 filters. I have tried several and find this one seals the best with a beard and is the most comfortable by far for me. They do come in small.. medium and large. Amazon has the medium only which is my size but somebody like Professional Equiqment carries all the sizes.

As for a vapor mask with a beard I use an MSA (around $35-$40) with MSA cannister filters. I have tried the ones at HD and Lowes (3 M.. etc..) and found the MSA is the tightest seal without going to a full mask and mucho $$. Wearing a dust mask with finish fumes is a waste of time but a dust mask for dust only is a major advantage.

Comment

• tseavoy
                Established Member
                • May 2009
                • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
                • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

I have had a full beard since 1968, but I rarely use a dust mask. One reason is that wearing a mask makes me steam up my glasses. Also, since I am nearsighted, I have to take off my glasses to see close -- bifocals just don't hack it for me. If I were in constant or more frequent contact with dust I guess I would have to, but my work in the shop under dust conditions is somewhat sporadic. If I am grinding fiberglass or something like that I wear one.

BTW my dust collector is a broom and dustpan.

Tom on Marrowstone

Comment

• RAFlorida
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Same as Tom.

My glasses fog up and are useless. I do use a paper mask when grinding and sawing. As far as toxic fumes, well I don't get into that. If I cann't do it outside then I don't do it. (this show how little I do with painting or chemical paint removing.)
                  Years before I retired, we were working at one of the mines in Polk County, (phospate) and one of their requirements was no facial hair so that the mask would seal around the nose and mouth. Sulfic acid is some nasty stuff. Don't remember the brand and all, but those were some of the best masks I'd came across.
                  My DC? broom and dust pan as well.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I wear glasses also and don't get the fog with the North dust mask. I have gotten it with all the others I use and especially in the humid summers in Atlanta. I suspect the reason is air escaping and rising to the glasses as the North only covers the nose and mouth. Adusted properly there is no fog... it's comfortable so the one I use after trying about 4 various ones over the years.

The MSA seals well for me with a beard also with the glasses underneath. Get occasional fog as a full mask is just hot and especially in down south summers.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      If the paper masks were free I still wouldn't use them for anything except as a Halloween mask. Totally useless IMO for dust and even less useful for toxic fumes.

A well fitted two cartridge respirator, with a soft rubber mask works pretty good. Cheap ones aren't worth the money. A filtered hood breathing unit would be the most protection, but they are expensive.

Toxic exposure isn't limited just to nose and mouth. The body can get contaminated through the eyes, ears, and the skin.
                      I strongly agree with this. With a beard you will have mixed results getting a good seal. The best way to know for sure is have someone smoke test you.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Tacoma, WA
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                        Since you ask about a "dust" mask and not a vapor mask with a beard.. I use a North CRF 1 available through Highland Hardware.. Amazon.. etc. Around $35 with 30 filters. I have tried several and find this one seals the best with a beard and is the most comfortable by far for me. They do come in small.. medium and large. Amazon has the medium only which is my size but somebody like Professional Equiqment carries all the sizes.

As for a vapor mask with a beard I use an MSA (around $35-$40) with MSA cannister filters. I have tried the ones at HD and Lowes (3 M.. etc..) and found the MSA is the tightest seal without going to a full mask and mucho $$. Wearing a dust mask with finish fumes is a waste of time but a dust mask for dust only is a major advantage.
                        Sarge, thanks for the information. I'm out of the paper ones so I will order a CFR-1 and see how it works. Like others Fogging Glasses are a problem but more important for me is if it interferes with the fit of my glasses on my nose. Testing will tell.

A few questions on the MSA mask. They make several half face masks, which is the one you like? Are the filters time sensitive? The mask I used in the past you had only so many days from when the cartridge was ripped from it's foil package, after that I was deemed worn out. I am thinking of using this mask for lacquer and polyurethane and when I am using solvents there could be a week or so between uses and I would hate to have to get new cartridges each use. I have gotten away from spraying and with a brush your face is right in it for the duration a good mask will help.

Bill
                        over here on the big ocean.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • On the TARDIS
                          • BT 3100

I always see the argument against paper masks when threads like these come up. Contrary to the popular belief, a well fitted quality paper mask is just as effective as the more expensive masks when it comes to dust. The mask below is what we use at work.

We have silica on site and it is in the air along with other dusts. This is what is recommended by the Ontario Ministry of Labour as an aid in dust control. A paper mast is disposable. It is not for fumes and vapours. Any mask that you wear is useless you are educated in how to properly use it. Also, if you have a beard thicker than a credit card where the mask seals, you might as well not even wear a respirator. You can do your health more harm than good because you will think you have some protection. If you want 100% protection, remove the beard from from seal area. Also, test any mask you wear each time you put it on.
                          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                            Sarge, thanks for the information. I'm out of the paper ones so I will order a CFR-1 and see how it works. Like others Fogging Glasses are a problem but more important for me is if it interferes with the fit of my glasses on my nose. Testing will tell.

A few questions on the MSA mask. They make several half face masks, which is the one you like? Are the filters time sensitive? The mask I used in the past you had only so many days from when the cartridge was ripped from it's foil package, after that I was deemed worn out. I am thinking of using this mask for lacquer and polyurethane and when I am using solvents there could be a week or so between uses and I would hate to have to get new cartridges each use. I have gotten away from spraying and with a brush your face is right in it for the duration a good mask will help.

Bill
                            over here on the big ocean.
                            I use the MSA Advantage 200 LS mask I order with no filters Bill. Then I ordered two packs of the MSA Advantage Organic Vapor Acid Gas catridges. Works great in the shop for poly.. mineral spirits.. shellac fumes. I also don it to clean mildew from shower stalls. I spray almost pure chlorox on.. let it sit for a minute and flush it off. Obviously working for me as I get nose-bleed with chlorine vapor. The only problem with the half mast there is that your eyes are not covered so I get it on.. flush it and get out. ha.. ha...

You could order some dust filters for the 200 LS but.. this mask gets tiring with long periods as opposed to the North half mask for dust. The North is just much lighter and gets it done for the dust. I spend 4-8 hours a day in the shop 5 days a week and probably have the dust mask on about 30% of the time.. That would get tiring with the heavier vapor mask.

BTW.. Professional Equipment has all the sizes of MSA and the North and replacement filters. They are top notch and about as cheap as anyone I have found as they specialize in safety equipment.

Good luck and anymore questions.. ask....

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

Thanks Sarge, and everyone else who responded. Having someone's hands on experience (or perhaps in this case on face experience) always makes the decision easier. I wish that there was a place locally where I could try them on but it looks like I'll just have to order and see how it fits.

Bill
                              soon to sound like Darth Vader

Comment

Working...