• Show
Clear All
  • rcp612
    Established Member
    • May 2005
    • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
    • Bosch 4100-09

Time-Warner Cable??

I'm starting my move and have considered going with Time Warner for TV, Internet, and maybe phone service.
    Does anyone here have experience with their digital phone service??
    Their ads, (read: propaganda) tout how great it is but, don't give you enough information for direct comparison to other options.
    The bundle with all 3 would be a big savings over what I now have but if something is lacking, or non-existant, I'd be stuck with their terms for at least 1 year.
    Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I have their cable but not internet or phone. I understand from others in the office that it is hard or possibly impossible to get Road Runner to work with a wireless router. I use DSL connected by wire to a desktop I seldom use and also to a wireless router I use daily. I have not investigated their package because of the reports that what I like to do, I couldn't do if I switched. So I pay ~$30/mth more to have both cable and phone/DSL.

Jim

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

I can't speak from personal experience, but my neighbor had it. When his contract ran out, he dropped it.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Larryl
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Lorena, TX, USA.
        • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

We had the cable and phone package for about a year. Like JimD said we had trouble with the wireless and finally went to AT&T DSL, still have the TW cable though. No other problems with the phone service.
        I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

We had a bundled service with AT&T and DirecTV. It included DSL and cellphone service. We kept losing our internet connection. So, we checked into cable and it cost considerably more than what we were paying.

We were offered U-verse from AT&T, at the same price, and it's an incredible service. You might look into it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

ATT U-verse is a tour-de-force in technology.
            Carries 20 Mbits/sec data over a twisted pair up to two miles from the Fiber optics teminal point where GBits come in.
            Your 20 MBit slice carries internet, phone service and up to four standard or two high def channels into you house to watch or record, all using internet protocol (fully digital) with all the benefits that digital gives.
            I don't have it right now but it sounds like they have most of the bugs worked out and it works well.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

While I don't have RR phones, I have a # of customers that do (private and business class), and none of them have had problems w/ wireless routers?

Comment

• lago
                Established Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Lago Vista, TX.

I have had RR for Internet & cable for almost 3 years. Have had no problems with a Linksys router.

Ken

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I had Road Runner for 4 years before I moved to the current house with no cable available. I never had problems with a wireless router and Road Runner. It was just fine for me. I would look in to ATT U-verse and see if it is any cheaper. Never had it but I know folks that do and they like it.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• phi1l
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Madison, WI

Over the years, it has been my experience that POTS for phone is much more reliable.

It seems that for cable & internet, 99.9% is acceptable reliability, for POTS it's more like 99.999%. At least it seems that way. If you do phone over IP, it is my experience that it is more likely not to be there when you really need it, .. IMO...

Comment

• cgallery
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Milwaukee, WI
                      • BT3K

Originally posted by phi1l
                      Over the years, it has been my experience that POTS for phone is much more reliable.

It seems that for cable & internet, 99.9% is acceptable reliability, for POTS it's more like 99.999%. At least it seems that way. If you do phone over IP, it is my experience that it is more likely not to be there when you really need it, .. IMO...
                      I agree w/ your assessment. But I think the RR phone service is somewhere between typical VOIP (Vonage, for example) and POTS, in terms of quality.

This is because RR is able to control the QOS over their network.

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

I have RR and their phone service. I think a lot depends on where you live, but either way Verizon service is by comparison, significantly more expensive.

Out here in Painted Post (Corning, NY) area, the Verizon phone service has been quite reliable, but the cost of it has continually gone up. The Time-Warner service cost less, but we've had trouble with the system going out of service with the power. Contrary to what we were told by the salesman, there is no backup and if you loose power, you loose the phone. While the power loss is NOT Time-Warner's cause, it still takes out our phone. Also, we've had several technical problems with RR service, but it still is better than a phone modem.

At the other house in Binghamton, we had Verizon install the very basic phone system, but in the last four years, that monthly cost has more than doubled and service problems have been difficult. (Hey, it's 100 year old house with way too many phone wiring splices, etc..)

So we had Time-Warner install RR and phone, in addition to the TV cable. Total cost less than what the basic TV cable and Verizon phone bill were. After six months, we've had no problems at all. Service is 24/7 with a 611 number for the local help desk. The tech was even nice enough to get my wireless router up and running (it didn't work too well here in Painted Post). Now, I can take the laptop to anywhere in house with a solid, reliable wireless connection. Our phones are now cordless too, and they work very well with the Time-Warner system.

With the T-W phone system, a "answering service" is like $5 extra a month, but other features like call-waiting and caller ID are standard.

CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• herb fellows
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • New York City
                          • bt3100

It might just be me, but I rarely got through a half hour program on TW cable without a glitch (picture pixelating, freezing)in the program.
                          They tried to fix it, with no success, so I switched to Directv. I think TWC has more and better programming, but I haven't had but maybe 3 glitches in 6 months with Directv.
                          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Russell, NY, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

We have the bundle package {RR-digital phone-HDTV} and for the past 3 yrs have had no problems. Only squawk is it's bloody expensive, about $150 a month. The phone is worth it as we make a lot of international calls at a very cheap per minute rate!
                            RuffSawn
                            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• TomBar
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Apr 2005
                              • Rexford, NY, USA.
                              • BT3100

I have had Time-Warner cable and roadrunner for years and rarely have a problem. When I have had a problem, their customer service was great. Wireless works fine. I do not have the phone service so I can't speak for that.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...