X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

We had a bad weekend!

Well, got home Friday night mad as a hornet. We've got some crap going on at work that if I had another job lined up, I wouldn't "let the door hit me where the Lord split me." After venting with SWMBO for a little while, we decided to go to one of our favorite dives with the boys for dinner. We haven't been eating out much lately, trying to save our pennies.

Even though it was a long wait and things were a little slow, we had a great evening out with the boys. Ran by Sears on the way home and ordered a new washer and dryer for Saturday pickup. Total with service plan: over $2100. Taking advantage of 1 year no payments/interest deal.

Heading home, talking with the boys about how pleased we were with how they behaved at Sears while making the deal, etc. Come to a left hand turn at a major intersection. I have a circular green with the turn when clear sign. Have plenty of time to make the turn. I am almost completely through the turn when some dumb **** in the turn only lane coming from the other direction decides to blow through his yeild sign, turn left and speed up. He nails the minivan in the right front tire. He hit us so hard that it pushed us over a lane and 1/2 into what was almost oncoming traffic.

The wife was transported via ambulance to the hospital for observation. Her back was tweaked in the wreck, and with her herniated discs (plural), stuff like that really gets her. She checked out okay but is still in pain. Both the boys are fine, but had the holy mess scared out of them. Thankfully, the airbags did not go off. The noise would have really scared our autistic son. We were all wearing seat belts, and the boys are really making sure theirs' are on now.

Here's the kicker about the wreck. We owe $692 on it. The wife and I were going to meet for lunch next week after payday, then go to the bank and pay it off and get the title. We were going to roll that van payment into other bills and aside from my truck and our student loans, we were looking at being debt free by the end of October (aside from the washer & dryer-we were going to pay it off in two payments, Nov. & Jan.). On top of that, there is a question of fault. My wife, her parents and I have all talked it over, and there was nothing that I did wrong or could do differently. Even the officer writing the report hinted at that, but I may still get dinged because of a technicaility. At least we're a "no fault" state. BTW: the other driver didn't have insurance, which he is required by law to carry. Both wrecks I've been involved in the past 5 years have been with people without insurance. Most likely, the van is totalled. '04 Kia Sedona. We've taken pretty good care of it, but our kids have destroyed the interior with mud, vomit, etc. Wouldn't get a whole lot out of trade.

So, Saturday, after talking with the insurace, we go to take our own pics of the van and get anything out that I missed Friday night. I couldn't see, because the firemedics disconnected the battery after the wreck due to concerns about the airbags going off. So, I have the hood up looking for frame damage, leaking fluids, etc. While resting my hand on the fender and looking down, a gust of wind blows the hood shut, trapping my "pinky" finger. SWMBO can't get the hood latch to release (damaged in wreck). I finally got it out by moving it a little and prying up on the hood with my other hand. I think the bone is bruised due to the whole finger almost turning black, but I am still able to use it without too much pain.

We did find a replacement van that afternoon and have a refundable deposit on it in case ours is repaired.

Sunday, we stayed home!

Monday afternoon, had to sign paperwork to have the van torn down for inspection. Afterwards, I went and got the washer and dryer. By myself, I got the old ones out of the house, new ones in and installed. Was about to get ready for Cub Scouts when we noticed our younger son was napping. He takes a nap about as often as I turn down hot wings. He's running 101.3 fever. So, SWMBO goes to Scouts to get her Den started on an activity, and I take him to the pediatrician. Looks like strep, but there is a slight possibility of another strain of H1N1 going around.

So, anyone wanna go on vacation with me in a few weeks? BTW: I'm having my name legally changed to Clark Griswold, because craziness like this is the norm at our house.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

I just have one thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvE65VOcAL0

Hope things go better for awhile, you're due for it!
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by JSUPreston
      I'm having my name legally changed to Clark Griswold, because craziness like this is the norm at our house.
      Umm, that's OK

Sorry to hear of your trials and travails. I hope it gets better!!
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Step one: Make sure you have a good doctor.

Step two: Make sure you have a good lawyer.

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

You and your family went through a lot. Hope you can get things resolved, and also follow Uncle Crackers advice. Good luck to you and your family!
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Wow, and I thought my weekend was rough. I hope things calm down for you soon.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

After all that the rest of the week can only be looking up. Hope everything works out for you.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Got a great bit of good news this afternoon. Van is confirmed totalled. Almost $7k worth of repairs. A lot more than I thought and could see without tearing down things. I was fully expecting a settlement of maybe $4k after payoff of the van, deductible, etc. Instead, it looks like my company is going to give me full retail minus deductible, payoff and minor pre-existing damage (on opposite side of van from wreck). We are almost 100% certain that we will pay cash for the replacement we picked out and maybe have enough left over to take the kids to dinner at McD's!

Frankly, this helps us out financially in a couple of ways. Now I can take the extra $700 I was going to use to pay off the van and put it on another bill. The old van was about 1 year away from its 60k mile maintenance. For some reason, the timing belt is replaced during that interval (cheap parts I guess). Estimates for that job were in the neighborhood of $700. The van we picked out (Honda Odyssey) has a while to go before its timing belt, and then the estimate is 1/2 the price of the Kia. As little as we drive, it will be at least 3 years before we hit that.

If you think this past weekend was bad for me, you should hear the story of my last family vacation. It involved 2 different emergercy doctor visits with 2 different children, a hurt knee, ice maker blowing water all inside a freezer and the MIL trying to kill the father in law with diswashing liquid.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Comment

• JSUPreston
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Montgomery, AL.

Originally posted by germdoc
                  I just have one thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvE65VOcAL0

Hope things go better for awhile, you're due for it!
                  Just watched the video (web filter at work stops youtube). Believe me, I don't look like that in the tub...more like a beached whale.

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

For some reason, the timing belt is replaced during that interval (cheap parts I guess).
                    Glad to hear things are working out.

60K miles is a typical replacement interval for timing belts. In many cars, they can't really be inspected for wear without major disassembly, and they can destroy the engine if they break. As a result, 60K to 100K, depending on manufacturer, is the usual recommended replacement interval.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• JSUPreston
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Montgomery, AL.

On the Kia, we actually skipped the "inspection" of the timing belt at 30k. To inspect it was going to cost almost as much as replacement. SWMBO and I agreed that it was worth the risk of not inspecting it and we were going to replace early.

On almost every other vehicle I've had, the interval is 105k. Don't know why Kia's is so short in comparison. I really wish they would use something like a double roller timing chain or a floating get set (saw it on Horsepower this past weekend). To me, it looks a lot more reliable. Then again, everyone want their engines to be quiet, and apparently chains and gears make more noise than belts.

Oh yeah, I've read up on what happens when a belt breaks on an interference engine. At the very minimum, it looks like new valves, heads, cylinders, etc. Probably cheaper and easier to buy a crate engine and drop it in if that happens.

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

Recently we had to have a timing belt re replaced on a PT Cruiser.
                        The guy that originally replaced it last year after a failure installed it one tooth off.
                        He did give us a good price of $400 including parts. I understand it is an interference engine as well. We were very lucky not to have damaged any other parts.
                        I was driving and knew what the problem was when it happened. Didn't try to turn it over. It is an auto tranny, so when it quit, it quit turning over everything.

I have had stories recently that I could tell as well.
                        It has been interesting and a little costly.
                        Dec 12th, lightening blew up my pump house like a bomb went off inside. Effected several appliances like fridge and washer.
                        Several small appliances.

The insurance co needed a lightening strike affidavit from an electrician.
                        Could not get one out here.
                        Finally got the well man to come out.
                        They wanted the same for each appliance as well.
                        I wrote those out myself.
                        That was just the regular type stuff that gets in the way of everyday life around here.

Other recent emergencies.
                        Complete culvert replacement on driveway.
                        The same PT cruiser spit out the #3 spark plug.
                        Helicoil repair.
                        Hauling the new fridge home, a large wind gust blew it over my tailgate. Never hit the ground. It was strapped in well.
                        Pump guy can't do the work until it dries out in the yard.
                        Getting ready to set out some trot lines in the back yard.
                        So much rain!

I had the water freeze up last month and got lucky enough to thaw it out without having to replace anything.

Armadillo's moved back in under my house and I have declared war yet again on those.

Found a bit of minor turmite damage that needs replacing.

On the good side, both my Football teams won the championships this year.

I do feel your pain.
                        Lee

Comment

• JSUPreston
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Montgomery, AL.

Lee, I think we're related.

Comment

• lrogers
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Mobile, AL. USA.
                            • BT3000

Glad everything is working out for you! On top of everything else, are they talking snow for you Friday like thay are for us?
                            Larry R. Rogers
                            The Samurai Wood Butcher
                            http://splash54.multiply.com
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

So, anyone wanna go on vacation with me in a few weeks? BTW: I'm having my name legally changed to Clark Griswold, because craziness like this is the norm at our house.
                              I have always said the Playpen door is open and the coffee ready for any BT3'er that is in my area. I THOUGHT this was a rule that didn't have an exception.....
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...