• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Dish vs DirecTV

Currently we have DirectTV but I am thinking of switching us to Dish Network. Looking at the channel lineup, for the same price I get more channels with Dish, including some I don't get with my current DirecTV package. Dish also includes local channels in their packages. DirecTV charges me an extra fee. Does anybody have Dish and how do you like it? I got DirecTV oroginally because of the NFL DirecTicket package some years ago, but haven't renewed it in several years.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Our first satellite service was with Dish. We were totally unsatisfied. We've now been with DirecTV for 4 or 5 years, and much more satisfied.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Hoakie
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Iowa
      • Craftsman 21829

I've only had Dish and absolutely no issues.
      John
      To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I've had both, and I REALLY like Direct TV better. I like the DTV DVR more, and the picture seems to be much better.

If you have been with DTV for awhile, I would call and tell them you are switching to Dish. I'm sure they will cut you a better deal. It sucks that you have to do that as a loyal customer, but that's the game they play.
        Joe

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

We've had Direct TV for about 9 years and like it. Our neighbor has Dish. He loses signal in storms more than we do. He doesn't like Dish at all.

Comment

• gary
            • May 2004
            • Versailles, KY, USA.

Had Direct TV for many years and got mad when I wanted to convert to HD and get a DVR. They'll give their new customers a break and not their long time customers. Went through the customer retention program and gave them the option of matching the Dish package; they said no.

So we switched to DISH. We went with the Turbo HD Gold package - it includes a single unit that you can connect two TV's (1 HD and other SD). You can record two programs at once and play them on either TV you want. The Turbo HD package is pretty good; the only channel I missed from Directv was the FX channel but the Dish package cane with Encore so it was mostly a wash. I think I'm saving about 15 to 20 per month over what I was paying to DirecTv.

Picture quality and reliability has been great and I've not had any issues with customer support on the one time I've used it over the last year. The guide is not as friendly to use but it's functional. I'd do it again in a heartbeat even though the switch was stressful as change takes me out of my comfort zone.

Gary
            Gary

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Always had Dish. It is not without it's minor issues, but I am totally satisfied. They have been great when equipment issues have arose. I don't do HD, but the two TV DVR is great. I am actually hooked now on watching TV without commercials. We prerecord everything now. You would be surprised how many of your favorite shows you can watch without the commercials.

I despise commercials anyway. My logic is that they are something we all pay for without our own consent. I'll be darned if I am going to suffer to watch through them as well.
              Thanks, Dish Network. I do sometimes pause when I see an ad I haven't seen before. Sometimes they are fairly good. Most weren't worth taking past a story board.
              Lee

Comment

• drillman88
                • Dec 2007
                • Southeast
                • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

We have had directv for 10 years or so. The customer service is great and we have had only a few problems with signal loss. When we moved a few years back I thought of trying dish network. When installation crew tried to find the signal from the satellites trees blocked it because their sateliltes are very low compared to dtv. I decided I didnt want dishes bolted to my roof so we called up dtv and they had no trouble at all.
                I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• tseavoy
                  Established Member
                  • May 2009
                  • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
                  • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

I have Direct TV for the sole reason that out here, the Dish satellite is almost due south where trees block the view, but DTV's satellite is more easterly where it can be seen. I'm not crazy about DTV's package though. About 2/3 are pure junk. Out here we don't pay extra for local channels.

Tom

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

As you can see it can depend on your local reception and the potential mounting options for you dish.

My expereince is near identical to Garys. When HD came around I was a DTV customer but they were a PITA and my log term standing did not count for anything and they would not help me get HD and their customer service handling of the issue sucked. I therefore checked out DISH who I still belive has a better HD lineup (and includes the locals) and switched.

I would agree that there were a couple of minor functions in the DTV DVR that I prefered but overall I am very happy with DISH.
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• williwatt
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Springfield, TN
                      • Sears 21829

I have never been on Dish, but I like DirecTv much better than I did Comcast cable. The local channels are included in Choice Extra. I got a better deal on DTV through Sams Club and I actually call a Sams number if I ever have a problem. I also like the referral program where I get $100 for each referral that signs up. They deduct $10 from my bill each month.

I like channel 101 on DTV that has concerts, special programming that isn't available anywhere else and the Dan Patrick show.

Comment

• tseavoy
                        Established Member
                        • May 2009
                        • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
                        • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

Yeah, and Trailer Park Boys!!

Tom

Comment

• jbrain
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2007
                          • roseville california
                          • Bt3100

Originally posted by tseavoy
                          Yeah, and Trailer Park Boys!!

Tom
                          Funniest most inappropriate show ever. I can't wait to see it each week!

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

I watched a few minutes of Trailer Park Boys once. that show was unwatchable.

Well unless things change, going with Dish. Free installation, I can get all 4 TVs hooked up for less per month than the two I have now with DirecTV and I get a free upgrade to a DVR receiver. Including DVR service I will still pay less per month. I called DirecTV. To get me to stay they want to upgrade me to a free HD DVR receiver that will cost me another 15 bucks more per month than I pay now. Uuuh.... the objective here is to -SAVE- money. Oh and I said that all I wanted from them to get me to stay was to hook up the 3rd TV for free, I'd pay the additional receiver fee per month. Guy said he couldn't do that.
                            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• alpha
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Owensboro, KY, USA.

I have found there is not much difference. Add cable and telephone to the mix and they all suck! I do an analysis every year based on my needs of TV, Internet, and phone service to determine my best price. I also check out fatwallet.com to see if there are any current deals that look good that I may not be aware of. In my experience Dish has always been a little cheaper than Direct TV. A few months ago Time-Warner cable jacked their prices up again and I ended up finding a deal with AT&T that included Direct TV.

If you visit a friend and watch a football game on HD you will not be able to tell which connection he is using: cable, Dish, Direct TV, or antenna.

It is usually not hard to find a little better deal than the one you currently have. You have to decide if it is really worthwhile cost wise to go with a new company because it is a real pita to switch. JMHO.

Bob

Comment

Working...