Questions for MAC users

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MilDoc

    #1

    Questions for MAC users

    I have really had it with WinDoze, after having PCs since the first IBM came out. I am tired of the PC needing to be wiped and reloaded about every 3-4 years, and other problems. And IMHO Win7 will just be more of the same.

    This time it looks like I will be going Mac. I like the looks of iLife and iWork, and I have found Mac "equivalent" programs for a few I use, like a daily reminder program.

    Now the questions (sorry, several):

    1. Quicken for the Mac is a lousy mean joke, and there are no really great alternatives; even MoneyDance is not acceptable. So, I decided to get an emulator program to run WinDoze JUST to be able to use Quicken 2010. There seem to be 2 alternatives Crossover (runs Win progs without Windows and requires less RAM) and Parallels (needs WinDoze installed.).

    Anyone using either? Other alternatives? I know Snow Leopard has an emulator but from what I've read it's not acceptable.

    2. I have tried Safari for the PC and do not like it - slooooow. Maybe the Mac version is better so I will give it a try. Otherwise, FireFox or Chrome is my choice. Anyone using these? Comments?

    3. I am considering the iMac, but need more than 4 USB ports. Anyone using a powered USB extension box? Problems?

    4. Have you experienced any problems when upgrading new version of Mac OS, like the numerous "gotchas" with WinDoze upgrades unless installed bare?

    5. Best anti- virus/spyware/etc program?

    6. One thing i HATE about WinDoze is the d**ned Registry. Things were simpler with .ini files, etc. The Registry is a beast from Hades that gets clogged with JUNK and MUST be cleaned for good performance. I have a great scrubber program, and as a test ran it every day for a week. EVERYtime it came up with 20-40 errors, and the machine ran better after garbage cleaning.

    Anything like this on the Mac?

    7. Does the Mac OS have a GOOD backup routine, unlike WinDoze? If not, suggestions?

    8. Anything you DO NOT like about any of the Mac versions? Be honest, now!

    9. Problems with the Imac in 3 years of use? Problems with the "big" Mac in 3 years of use?

    Thanks in advance, and please make any other comments you care to.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2010, 05:04 PM.
  • milanuk
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • 287
    • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

    #2
    1. No experience here. If you want to keep say, a Win 7 install in a sandbox for those things you 'need', I'd say install it in Virtualbox (free for personal use) and call it good.

    2. Long time Firefox & Thunderbird user here, across M$, Mac, & Linux.

    3. Sorry, no experience.

    4. First 'Mac' was an eMac g4 700MHz starting around 10.1.5. Took it up to about 10.3 (I think) or so, no problems with upgrades as far as bugs/crashes. It did seem like every upgrade involved more and more eye-candy, and taxed that little machine more and more. I was strongly tempted to nuke it back to the original OS and leave it there; step-son commandeered it for a friend, so not my problem anymore My current Macbook 1.1 (Intel Core Duo 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD) is up to 10.4.11; there are some significant changes between 10.4 and 10.6 (starting to see some programs that won't install on anything before 10.5)
    so I'm probably going to bite the bullet and buy the upgrade. The pisser there is that rather than the $29 upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6, I have to buy the 'boxed set' upgrade (which also has all of iLife and iWork) for $169. I figured that doubling the RAM to 2GB and upgrading the drive to the smallest I could find @ Other World Computing (250GB) for $135 or so, plus the OS upgrade should last me another 1.5 yrs... which will considering what a new Macbook goes for, is well worth it for me.

    5. Couldn't say. Don't use 'em. Keep the firewall up, only get software from reputable locations... hasn't been an issue in 5-6 years.

    6. Nope

    7. Time Machine

    8. The Mail.app does not work the way I wanted it to (message threading). iWeb is another annoyance. At first it wouldn't let you publish directly to a website (via ftp/sftp) - supposed to be fixed now, but not 100% from what I've read. It also has to finger every single file when it does an update, so regular FTP programs that compare file access/modification dates get stuck and have to upload *every* file in a web site even if you only changed one word on one page. There are more, but those are the main ones.

    9. When the cd/rw drive on my eMac went belly up, I found it wouldn't play nicely with other drives that weren't the same brand/model - which of course I couldn't find anymore by that point. And Apple's price for the drive was outrageous. The downside of their outstandingly good hardware support (since they are a closed platform).
    All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

    Comment

    • cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • 4503
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

      #3
      (1) Getting a Mac and running Windows so you can run Quicken seems like a kludge to me.

      (2) Safari and Firefox on OS X have some peculiar performance issues I have not see on Windows boxes.

      (3) Powered USB hub is no problem.

      (4) Have absolutely experienced problems upgrading to newer versions of OS X. And OS X has ships w/ bugs, just like Windows.

      (5) Don't need any virus/spyware/etc program

      (6) "Cleaning" or "fixing" the Windows registry is a myth. Programs that claim they're doing this are simply justifying the money you spent on them.

      (7) Time Machine (part of OS X) is great backup software.

      (8) There is a lot I don't like about Macs. Can't buy extended warranty that covers accidental damage on notebooks. If you have a problem/question, you have to make an appointment to talk to a "Genius" (laughable). They're not exactly speedy w/ repairs. If a machine breaks outside of warranty, they want a lot of money to fix it (may as well replace). They don't make repair parts available to end-users. Oh, and they aren't infallible, I've had plenty of weird software problems on Macs.

      They (Apple) do a wonderful job on marketing, though.

      I own four Macs, and about six PC's (right now).

      AFAIC, the biggest problem w/ Winblows is malware. But I have a fool-proof solution for that. Once I setup security the "Phil" way (basically very similar to a Mac, very appliance-like), I rarely ever hear from that client again.

      Comment

      • gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • 2793
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

        #4
        1. Haven't tried. Nothing I need to run on Winderz that I can't run on a Mac.

        2. I use Safari almost all the time, and Firefox for my grade book, since my district's IT dept., in their infinite wisdom, refuses to make the software browser-agnostic. I haven't noticed any particular performance concerns.

        3. Powered USB hubs are no problem—none of that silly "detecting/installing new hardware" business. Plug it in and off you go.

        4. I personally have never, ever had an issue upgrading from one version of OSX to another. I do backup everything beforehand, however.

        5. Haven't used antivirus/spyware software. I keep the open ports to a minimum and use the AirPort firewall. OSX will not install software without your authorization. (I've no idea if some fancy-schmancy Unix "obey me, for I am root" trick would work.)

        6. There is the Library folder (actually three; one in the System, one at the root level, and one in your User folder) but I've had no issues with it (them). Sometimes I read about Library file hacks, but I've never messed with it.

        7. Time Machine, Time Machine, Time Machine. If you spring for a Time Capsule (Airport base station with server-certified hard drives) you can back up over WiFi. Takes almost 5 minutes to set up. I have three laptops and a wired G4 tower using it. You can also share more hard drives and printers with a USB hub.

        8. Nothing comes to mind right now. I'll get back to you when something frustrates me.

        9. I retired my oldest iMac after seven years of use. I keep it around to play old OS9 games on. My first Mac (Mac Plus, with an external floppy drive: whoo!) I used for nine years. The oldest of the four laptops in the house is seven years old and still running. The G4 tower is almost ten years old.

        Just my 2¢ worth. I should qualify the above by mentioning I've been a Mac fanboy since 1984.

        g.
        Smit

        "Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

        Comment

        • crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • 10627
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

          #5
          If you are frustrated with Windows I would give Linux a serious try before I bought a Mac. Linux is free, so the only investment you have is time.

          I know you didn't ask but....

          1. It runs Virtual Box quite well - my home machine is hosting a Win XP guest for the few windows programs I run - one of them being Quicken.

          2. I know it runs Firefox quite well.

          3. No problem

          4. No. I have a system at work that was upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to 9.01 and is now at 9.10. I had a filesystem problem but that was my own doing trying to be clever.

          5. Dunno. It doesn't need it AFIK.

          6. Nope, no registry.

          7. There are lots of tools like rsync but you need to investigate a little on how to use them. the good news is there is plenty of info out there on how tos.

          8. No, other than I wish 1 or 2 more things were automatic. But I also like how it defaults to assuming I don't want to do it rather than I do want to.

          Did I mention it is free? The Mac costs money, plus things like time capsule also cost money. Linux also runs on your existing HW, so you don't need to pay for new HW, unless you have a peripheral it doesn't support.

          Linux also has none of the problems mentioned in Milanuk's point 9 and CGallery's point 8. You avoid the problems with Windows without tying yourself into a closed hardware platform. If you want to try it, you can download a 'live' CD that boots a fully functional install to do a test drive.
          David

          The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

          Comment

          • twistsol
            SawdustZone Patron
            • Dec 2002
            • 3122
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

            #6
            These comments are from a former Apple employee and the brainwashing really never goes away fully.

            All hail Steve Jobs!

            1. I use parallels every day for Visio and MS Money. I also hate Quicken for the Mac and the new version promises to cost more and have fewer features ... go figure. Parallels runs quite well and I've had few if any issues with it. Building a software PC to and running windows in the background is a hungry endeavor. You should have a minimum of 2GB RAM in the Mac and ideally 4GB. The alternative built in to OSX is Boot Camp and it allows you to reboot and select either windows or mac when you boot up. If you plan on gaming this is the way to go otherwise Parallels still seems to be the top dog.

            2. I use safari almost exclusively. Once in a while, bad flash player ads or other content never tested on a mac cause it to seem to hang. It takes forever for Safari to figure out there's a problem. I've tried Firefox and most of the other Mac browsers and really don't see much difference. IE 6 through 8 on windows all seem much faster.

            3. I have a powered USB / Firewire hub attached to my Macbook Pro and have no issues at all.

            4. Yes, I had problems on the upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6. I ended up doing a fresh install then restoring files and apps from time machine. Total time about 2 hours, 10 minutes of which required my interaction.

            5. I use virus barrier X5 from Intego. It doesn't do much for me, but keeps me from spreading nasties to my Windows loving friends

            6. No such thing as a registry on the Mac so really, nothing to clean or maintain. The application icon you see for a Mac application is actually a special type of directory that has all the necessary files for the application within that directory. This handles about 80% of what the registry does, the rest of the work is handled in OSX through library directories, .plist (preferences files) and some other arcane means. That doesn't mean that OSX is the panacea presented in the ads. It has its share of bugs and quirks. A big caveat is that part of Apple's strategy to keep the OS clean is to replace or abandon technologies that didn't work as well or weren't as popular as they originally thought. If you have an application that you dearly love that is dependent on the now disposable technology, it may just stop functioning with the OS upgrade.

            7. Being the belt and suspenders sort of guy, The Belt ... Time Machine works great, set it up and forget it. If you need to restore a file or a whole machine it's there ready with everything you've ever done. I have a 1TB drive that I connect my laptop to when I'm home and a weeks worth of work is synced in the background in an hour or so.

            7B the suspenders ... I also use Carbonite for the Mac. for $50.00 a year, I don't ever need to backup to DVD and I'm covered even if my house burns down with my Mac and Time Machine drive in it.

            7C the other suspenders. I have an 80GB tape drive at my Minneapolis office that I use about once a month to back up everything. I use Retrospect from EMC software. I've been using that software since the early days of the Mac when it was called DiskFit.

            8. Office for the Mac is horrible. It is clearly the red headed step child at Microsoft. OpenOffice is a much better replacement and free, but doesn't have all the features so you may have trouble importing complex office documents.

            8a. I really don't like the DVD player and all five of our current Macs seem to be overly sensitive to scratches on a DVD.

            8b. I haven't found any decent finance software on the mac and the same with home/landdscape design. You have one choice on the mac and Hundreds on Windows.

            9. My mom has one of the first Intel iMacs. The network port on it just stopped working when it was about two years old. A new motherboard was $790 and clearly not worth it. She's using the wireless now and it works. The only Mac we've had problems with has been my MacBook Pro. It is my constant companion and flies with me over 100,000 miles a year and takes a lot of abuse. For comparison, I've had two Dell laptops and both of them literally fell apart, as in pieces drives etc. falling off them at airport security.
            Last edited by twistsol; 01-04-2010, 07:20 PM.
            Chr's
            __________
            An ethical man knows the right thing to do.
            A moral man does it.

            Comment

            • tung tied
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2006
              • 86

              #7
              1. I use Quicken for the Mac and agree it can't give satisfactory reports. When I upgraded my OSX, I lost my historical brokerage data. Maybe I should try Parallels?

              2. I used to use Safari, now strictly FireFox, haven't tried more recent versions since FireFox works?

              3. I only need 3, but also use all my FireWire ports, I like their speed.

              4. I still use my iMac (soccer ball version) but couldn't upgrade to 10.6. Not a big problem, just can't run Google Earth, and a few others. No big deal. I'm actually impressed my 8 yr old machine can still do the computing I need (DNA/protein sequence alignments) not just run Solitaire. Those few programs I can't run on it I run on my Powerbook (also old). Long story short... I like the fact I don't have to upgrade my machine every 2-3-4 years.

              5. Took Norton Utilities off once they started demanding more money upgrades.

              6. N/A

              7. I've just manually backed up files. But I've never had a crash that lost anything either. Hope this doesn't jinx me.

              8. Battery life of my Powerbook G4 is a pain. I wish PC keyboards were as good as Macs. I hate the feel and the spacing on PC keyboards.

              9. see #4

              Comment

              • MilDoc

                #8
                Originally posted by cgallery
                (1) Getting a Mac and running Windows so you can run Quicken seems like a kludge to me.

                (6) "Cleaning" or "fixing" the Windows registry is a myth. Programs that claim they're doing this are simply justifying the money you spent on them.

                (8) Oh, and they aren't infallible, I've had plenty of weird software problems on Macs.

                (1) Perhaps so, but there is NO good alternative on the Mac.

                (6) I don't buy this. It is known to become bloated with leftover junk. And every time I clean it my machine boots and runs faster. There are indeed lousy "cleaners," but one does work well - it's called Advanced Registry Optimizer.

                (8) Gee, couldn't be a virus?

                Comment

                • milanuk
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • 287
                  • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

                  #9
                  Phil (cgallery) mentioned things on Firefox for Mac that don't quite work as expected. One of those (at least the most visible) one is Adobe PDF files. For some reason, it's beyond their (FF) ability to make them display in the browser window on a Mac - every single one has to be downloaded and browsed locally on the machine. Depending on your use of the machine, could be more or less of a PITA factor.

                  As for crockett's mention of Linux... while I'm fairly pro-Linux, having spent some time renewing my relationship with that particular OS I'll just say this: if you intend to use it with wifi - don't. Or at least if you do, spend a *lot* of time researching and finding an adapter that is known-good and works - as in down to the particular chipset and revision. If it varies *at all*, god help you - you'll be headed off down the rabbit hole of trying to locate and download the right driver, editing this that and another thing, possibly even compiling the drivers yourself. Don't believe me? Look around on the Ubuntu forums - probably 1/3 or more of the questions there on any given day are people struggling to get wifi working because it doesn't 'just work' the way Mac hardware does. Same thing for when a distro like Ubuntu, which tracks another distro's (Debian) *unstable* development branch - surprise, surprise they have lots of upgrade headaches between different releases. Not everyone, but far more than is decent. If you want something that 'just works' with random (i.e. non hand-picked) desktop PC hardware, skip Linux. On the other hand, if you don't mind rolling up your sleeves and getting dirty, so to speak... dive on in. Desktop is getting closer - far closer than it was when I said 'heckwithit' and got a Mac years ago - but it's still got a ways to go in the 'just works' department.

                  Then again, you *can* buy Linux pre-installed on known-good hardware from Dell or System 76, and then it should 'just work' as the hardware lottery is pretty much taken care of.

                  YMMV,

                  Monte
                  All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

                  Comment

                  • MilDoc

                    #10
                    Thanks to everyone for all the answers! My other comments:

                    I've used only Quicken since it came out. Even the newest Mac version is scaled down, limited, junk compared to Q10 for Windows. So I won't give it up until something better comes along for the Mac - there is nothing even near as good yet.

                    I am paranoid re: backups. Carbonite is fine if you have undying faith in the internet. Since I've been on the net in one way or another since DARPA Net was first opened to the public, I have seen more problems / lost data / companies come and go / etc etc etc. I backup to an ioSafe fire/waterproof drive and a portable kept off site. Glad to hear Time Machine works well.

                    And, although Linux is very good - sorry, I don't want to learn more another OS system operating on "computer speak" rules. Yeah, there are nice install apps available, and I've tried a few, but you still have to learn the intricacies to really work with Linux.

                    What surprises me is everyone's absolute faith in not using virus etc protection! It was rumored that Snow Leopard came with malware protection built in (for the first time ever), but as yet AFAIK is uncertain how good it is. And several security researchers claim Mac OS X is easy to hack, although no large-scale infections have happened yet. But, IMHO, attacks will happen now that Apple uses Intel chips. Some hacker somewhere will strive to claim first place!

                    Comment

                    • MilDoc

                      #11
                      PDF files do not bother me. In Firefox you can tell it open the file directly in Adobe Reader instead. At work we have to set IE to do the same.

                      Comment

                      • gerti
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • 2233
                        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

                        #12
                        I have been using OS X and it's predecessors OPENSTEP and NeXTSTEP since 1989 full time (software development).

                        1. You can use Bootcamp, which basically makes you system dual-bootable (eg reboot from one OS to the other, no simultaneous use). Windows 7 support is overdue though.

                        Another choice are virtual boxes like Parallels or VMWare Fusion. You still need to install Windows in the virtual environment. And they seem to require updates at least with each OS update, typically there is a charge involved. On the plus side both make it easy to take snapshots of your install you can revert to when something goes wrong on the windows side.

                        Crossover is limited, but if it works for the software you want to use it is the least hassle.

                        2. Safari works for me. Occasionally I use Firefox, better Javascript debuggers.

                        3. I do have problems with USB hubs, probably because I never invested in a good one.

                        4. Only update problem I ever had was the occasional software that for one or other reason was not compatible with the new OS. The OS updates themselves have always been smooth and painless.

                        5. Common sense. "Little Snitch" can be used to keep an eye on what programs want to talk to the Internet.

                        9. We have 3 iMacs in the house (20", 24", 27"), they were solid. The extended warranty on the iMacs might be worth it though.

                        Comment

                        • MilDoc

                          #13
                          Originally posted by gerti
                          I have been using OS X and it's predecessors OPENSTEP and NeXTSTEP since 1989 full time (software development).

                          1. You can use Bootcamp, which basically makes you system dual-bootable (eg reboot from one OS to the other, no simultaneous use). Windows 7 support is overdue though.

                          Another choice are virtual boxes like Parallels or VMWare Fusion. You still need to install Windows in the virtual environment. And they seem to require updates at least with each OS update, typically there is a charge involved. On the plus side both make it easy to take snapshots of your install you can revert to when something goes wrong on the windows side.

                          Crossover is limited, but if it works for the software you want to use it is the least hassle.

                          2. Safari works for me. Occasionally I use Firefox, better Javascript debuggers.

                          3. I do have problems with USB hubs, probably because I never invested in a good one.

                          4. Only update problem I ever had was the occasional software that for one or other reason was not compatible with the new OS. The OS updates themselves have always been smooth and painless.

                          5. Common sense. "Little Snitch" can be used to keep an eye on what programs want to talk to the Internet.

                          9. We have 3 iMacs in the house (20", 24", 27"), they were solid. The extended warranty on the iMacs might be worth it though.

                          1. From what I've read, Bootcamp doesn't work very well. And, after further exploration Crossover is a WINE system, not guaranteed to work with newest updates, like Quicken 10.

                          Just looked at the videos on Parallels. WOW! Even teaches you how to transition from PC to Mac! And supports Win7 (but I use XP - OK there too).

                          For Parallels users, how much HD space an memory do I need?

                          2. I like FF, but will give Safari a try. If I don't like it, FF for Mac it is.

                          3. I was considering the
                          CyberPower High-Speed 7-Port USB Hub by Cyber Power.

                          Any other suggestions from folks who use a hub?

                          4. What software problems didn't work with OS upgrades? Not that this isn't a pain with Win upgrades, but in Win I can set backward compatibility parameters to run older programs. Works well.

                          5. I still believe some hacker somewhere will take on the challenge of Mac OS, then look out!

                          8. I was considering AppleCare extended warranty. Bought a 3-year one for my latest Dell PC (almost out of warranty) and am d**m glad I did. Bad DVD drive year one. This year failed RAID1, failed HD#2, all fixed free.

                          But why do you say "
                          The extended warranty on the iMacs might be worth it though."

                          Had problems with the iMac, or know of many?

                          Comment

                          • leehljp
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 8803
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

                            #14
                            Apologies - looong but somewhat detailed.

                            1. I have to use Fusion 2 or Parallels 4 primarily because of my organization's proprietary software, but also to support co-workers and team members. Both work fine. I am on F2 and P4 although I am seriously thinking of upgrading to P5. My organization has propietary software that works on most Windows (US) computers fine, but there is something about the unicode of those programs that causes problems (check boxes, drop down menu problems) with Japanese language turned on even though English language is being used. The point is that Parallels and Fusion work well with XP, Vista and Win 7, - from what I have heard from co-workers,) and even slightly buggy code programs work OK.


                            2. Browsers Safari reviews constantly get the fastest ratings but YMMV. FF, Chrome and others work fine.



                            3. I use a powered USB at times, but because all of my work is now on a laptop, I do not keep it attached. I have two powered USB units - one for my laptop and one hooked into on my wireless network in which I have two printers and a backup drive hooked to it. I have read that a few people have a scanner hooked up through their wireless units also. So, powered USB works fine. Some hardware does not work properly unless it IS a "powered" USB unit.



                            4. Upgrading OS: For me - I started with 10.2 and upgraded to 10.3 over 10.2. From 10.3 to 10.4 also. Few problems except that a lot of older preferences and a few older programs needed to be updated. I did find that some old system items caused problems, but removing them and updating helped.

                            From 10.2 to 10.4 - I think this was over a 3 year period. At 10.4, after running it for nearly a year, I did a clean install of the system and re-install of programs, pulling in all backed up data and files. Worked great. 2006, Bought a new laptop and migrated all of 10.4 older laptop over to 10.4 Intel laptop. No problems.

                            I installed 10.5 over 10.4 instead of a clean install and it worked fine. Again, about 6 months later, I did a complete re-install of everything. Nothing bad was going on per se, but there were occasional burps from previous preferences (Plists) and old system preference changes. I had to do a re-start about once every two or three weeks and that bugged me. When it becomes necessary to do a re-start about every two to three weeks, it is time for me to do some cleaning. On average for me and for LOML's laptop, re-starting about once every two months is normal. Sometimes when we install a program or update, that requires a re-start.

                            I had problems upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard (SL), but I knew that I had System add-ons that were incompatible with SL, and sure enough I did. At the time, the update to what I needed was not available for SL, so I reverted to the Leopard and am still on it.

                            The updated add-ons that I needed for (SL) are available, but I haven't had the time to re-install SL. Soon maybe. It usually takes me 4 to 6 hours for a System install. A backup is done daily automatically and I do a redundant monthly backup manually.



                            5. Virus: Some People will tell you that you do. However, At this point, No. But reality is - it is only a matter of when. Even then, Apple is quick to address these issues. There is a HUGE divide over security concepts as to what is, and is not security. One group will say that Unix base is the weakest and give pages long reasons why it is weak. This is more "concept" in nature but not "actual" in the wild. The other group will say that windows base is prone because of it underlying OS holes that were developed before internet security was a concept, and is still there at the core of the XP, Vista, & W7.

                            Related: Two couples that I did help move from Window's to Mac in the past two years - They were pains in the neck and paranoid for 6 to 8 months on several issues:
                            1. about buying larger HD, extra memory (Why bother if the computer will only last 2 years).
                            2. software installs (am I going to have to re-install the system if something goes wrong),
                            3. Software updates (Do I want to do this? Are they installing something that will cause me to have to re-install the system.)
                            4. Virus / Spyware - You are [me, Hank] are a Maccie, so you are prejudiced. Of course Macs have viruses and spyware, don't give us that garbage Mac talk - they got that info from reading PC news.

                            After 6 months, the paranoia in general goes away.



                            6. Registry: ONE GREAT ADVANTAGE for the Mac! Windows was designed basically for the tinkerer and for an IT support philosophy. Mac OS doesn't allow this tinkering for the average user, and it was designed to operate without such needs. Very over-simplistic but that is the concept. It has Steve Jobs written all over that concept/philosophy.

                            SJ, even on the first Mac wanted a closed system - so that the "end work" would be the focus not computer tinkering, so that the computer hardware and system would be "transparent", - i.e. OS and HW knowledge not a pre-requisite to smooth operation and end results. Case in point - Windows focuses on "Drives that hold data", Macs focuses on "Data that is available on the drives". (In spite of the transparency of design, you can get into the system through "terminal" and that is a power users powerful tool.)

                            Registry - nothing like this on the Mac.



                            7. Backups - I use Apple's Time machine wireless for daily backups. Works in the background while I am doing work, even when video skyping family in the States without a problem or even noticeable on speed hit for me or LOML. I also do a "total" back up once every other month to an external USB drive. It can be as easy as clicking on the HD icon on the desktop and dragging it to the other HD and letting it go. But I use a cloning software that does more precise checks.



                            8. Dislikes
                            A. - Two button mouse not standard. I think they are standard now, but not certain (I use a laptop). Macs have had 2 button mice available from third parties since the mid - 90's but ignorant and well known computer news agencies give the idea that they are just recently available. (I have one that is over about 12 years old.)
                            (B & C are from those I know that migrated)
                            B. Philosophy difference - Techies enjoy the "hands on" with system config with every item and program. Much is available for Mac programs but is more under the hood, in program preferences, or in "Terminal" - out of sight of the ordinary users.
                            C. End User intuitiveness: LOML does better with list, numbered steps etc and hates "intuitive" progressive logical steps to accomplish something. Mac's basic design interface was built upon intuitiveness. The very onset of Macs was to incorporate intentional intuitive and easy to use design interfaces. It was not something just "thought up" and put in a position for a person to "learn" to use, but because it worked with with design and interface flow.

                            This is also difficult initially for many Windows users because they have "learned" the windows ways. Macs were designed in the way work flows for most people; Top right to bottom left. Natural, easy, intuitive, (except for left handers and Hebrew .) Windows copied but went the opposite to avoid law suit - Bottom left to top to bottom right. Not much but there is a difference. And it is a small frustration for some Window's users.

                            C. A frustration for some - a couple of keyboard keys are different and some of the Key combos are different.

                            D. One area that OS 10 is like Windows (but still better) OS 10 was designed for programs/applications to all be in their own folder. Some don't work well if placed where ever you want. Prior to OS 10, Mac users could put them where ever they wanted. I had partitions and HDs and kept graphics applications and files on the graphics HD, business apps and data files on the Business HD. Can't do it that way very easily on OS 10, but this should not be a problem with Windows users.

                            E. While download of apps goes to the download folder, the App usually appears on the desktop - for the users to "install" into the Application folder, some install automatically after being approved by the user. Some have to be manually dragged to the Application folder, but this is the app's creator's choice. This is a safety feature in case something is inadvertently downloaded. If an install disk appears on the DT, after installing the app, that disk must be dragged to the Trash to dismount it. This is confusing to many new users.

                            On this subject - The Trash Can serves as both "Trash" and "Eject/dismount". Dragging an external disk to the trash/eject does not erase it, just dismounts it. Confusing to many! - Kind of like going to "Start" to "shut down".

                            Other Advantages: One thing much better on the Mac OS is the Find/Search. Much better on the Mac. 15 years of data files on my lap top would kill most Window system searches.
                            Save: On OS 10 - the default save is to Documents.
                            Downloads: all go automatically to the user "downloads" folder.



                            PROBLEMS? - Maintenance is a Mac Advantage.I have had 4 Windows units in 10 years, had to support several team members windows units in both Japanese and English. I have had far more problems maintaining them than any of my Macs or other team member's Macs.

                            For co-workers that buy the "Busness" PCs - Business Dells, IBMs and HPs, these folks have far less hardware problems than those who buy the cheaper consumer computers. Mac hardware is on par, as good as, or better than Business class PCs in durability and quality and subsequently last years on average. Disadvantage: Mac hardware often outlives its OS usefullness 8 - 10 years etc.
                            Last edited by leehljp; 01-04-2010, 10:48 PM.
                            Hank Lee

                            Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

                            Comment

                            • leehljp
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 8803
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

                              #15
                              Originally posted by MilDoc
                              I am paranoid re: backups. Glad to hear Time Machine works well.
                              TM is not without its problems but that is a question that falls into what is reasonable? .1% 1% If you go to Apple's support page, you will see problems, but the vast majority are individual problems that are user related, and not much to one specific problem.

                              I just had my 2nd problem with TM. I have had TM online for 20 months now. 8 months ago it stopped backing up. I found that I had a corrupted file - I updated from Parallels 2 to 4 and the Windows OS change over in the update corrupted a file - which would not backup. Re-installed Windows and it worked.

                              Second time on Dec 15. "Backup failed" notice. I could click "Backup now" and it would complete most of the backup and then give the "BackUp Failed" notice. Checking the backups - everything was there, even new files and even though it said "failed". I downloaded a small program (TM Error Logger) and it detected a corrupted file. I have a backup database of email with PDFs, attachments, photos, etc, going back to '96 and that DB was corrupted. Deleted the corrupted file of 3 gig - and TM has been working like a charm. I went back to the Pre-Dec 15 file and brought it back to my laptop. It works fine.

                              I strongly suggest for Time Machine users to download the program "TM Error Logger" to detect corrupted files if and when TM fails to backup because of a "backup error"
                              Regular Backups for ME TOO! I backup with TM (set to once a day) and monthly/every other month with a hard copy backup. I also backup just before EVERY new system install. (Not for updates, just full installs.)


                              What surprises me is everyone's absolute faith in not using virus etc protection! It was rumored that Snow Leopard came with malware protection built in (for the first time ever), but as yet AFAIK is uncertain how good it is. And several security researchers claim Mac OS X is easy to hack, although no large-scale infections have happened yet. But, IMHO, attacks will happen now that Apple uses Intel chips. Some hacker somewhere will strive to claim first place!
                              There are reasons for "not using virus protection". Paranoia is a result of the Windows environment as it exists now - and it effects a Window's user's world view. Windows has a plethora of Virus protection software but still Windows users are paranoid as a whole. Seems strange, and the logic eludes me. Plenty of Virus protection software everywhere but people are still paranoid even with having it! Why? Virus protection for the MOST part only protects those that were created in the past, not future. So of course there is paranoia. Virus protection that is installed now will not help against a future virus.

                              So - For windows, virus protection it is a necessity for most ALL of the viruses created in the past, plus paranoia for all that will come in the future that current protection software will not help against.

                              The Mac currently has none, so no need to protect the past. And Current Norton and others Mac virus protections schemes can't protect for the future any more than current flu medicines can be guaranteed to protect protect against future flu strains.

                              Mac users do not have their heads in the sand, even though their heads may be full of rocks . Informed Mac users see no need to be driving around in the summer time in Texas with snow tires on. Well aware of winter coming, they will prepare for it. Just no need to have virus protection and pay for yearly updates until it exists.

                              Foolishness: These "security research" claims have been going on for 3 to 4 years (and longer) and a few folks that I know that went out and bought security software like Norton (against my advice), and have been paying for it every year - to what avail? When it happens - do it - but not for hypochondriac/paranoia reasons.

                              When using a Mac, it is not about "faithful," but more in line with common sense usage:
                              For the Mac - The first new virus in the wild will not sneak up on you! Within hours of a release, you can bet it will be world wide news. The news will be here (BT3Central), It will be everywhere. When major viruses for Windows starts, I find out almost immediately from world wide news. Until one is released, no need to spend money guessing "when" - because Norton won't work in preventing it anyway . . . until they (Norton or whoever) write the protection scheme AFTER the fact. If I had purchased Norton or similar for $50.00 - 4 years ago and updated it every year, I would be out $200.00 or more and there are no viruses out there. It is kind of like developing a vaccine before a virus, bug or bacteria is discovered. Probably won't work anyway!


                              Once a virus is out, Just don't open email until you have purchased / downloaded a virus protection. As mentioned above, buy one now and it will be no good for a virus that comes out tomorrow. You still will need a download for the new virus. SAve the money until it is needed.

                              Browser security - That is another story for later and I don't have all of the answers except that again, security software will only protect against the already known.

                              THE BEST PROTECTION - Be aware, be alert, but no need to be living in a paranoid state. Life is too short!

                              The most recent hackers conventions (past 3 years) have given people access to hardware and even passwords to let people hack into the macs within 20 seconds or so. Shucks, I can break into most Macs within 10 minutes if someone just gives me their computer, and faster if they give me the passwords. But not through an internet/wireless connection.
                              Last edited by leehljp; 01-05-2010, 02:21 AM.
                              Hank Lee

                              Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

                              Comment

                              Working...