Clear All
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

For The Yankee Workshop fans

Good Morning and Happy New Year to All

This was posted on another web site but I thought a some members here would like to see it:

Cross posted on Woodnet / Canadian Woodworking Forum.

Folks, just browsing the net and dropped by the New Yankee workshop website only to find that they are airing (webcasting) the old NYW episodes for free. Each selected program will webcast on the website for one week only then replaced by another. You can check out the schedule at http://www.newyankee.com/onlineSchedule.php.

I just finished watching the very first episode of NYW. Here are the highlights from my perspective.
    • There is no “shop safety” reminder from Norm at the beginning.
    • It is interesting to see how “sparse” the shop was in the beginning; just basic tools nothing fancy.
    • Norm uses screws instead of brads to clamp pieces while the glue sets!
    • Norm shows gaps in his finger joints and then shows a trick to “fix” the problem. At least in this episode he uses his wits to work around issues versus relying on jigs.
    • Norm makes a cheek cut on a tenon without a tenoning jig using a technique that I would consider dangerous.

Overall, I really enjoyed watching the very first episode of NYW. Norm appeared much more “human” compared to recent history when the jigs & fancy tooling made things almost foolproof. I am looking forward to watching the other early episodes later on this month. At least for January 2010 my NYW withdrawal would be cured.

Happy New Year to all.
    J

Maybe I should have posted as a "Bargain Alert"!! Enjoy
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Thanks

Bill

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I'd love to watch, but it gets about 30 seconds in and stalls when caching... I think their server is a bit busy...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• phi1l
        • Oct 2009
        • Madison, WI

ya .. they are definitely bandwith limited right now..

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Try letting the video start, then hit pause and do something else for a half hour. When you come back it's all cached to your computer and you can watch it in real time. This works for most streaming video.

Bill
          over here on the big ocean

Comment

• dkerfoot
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Holland, Michigan
            • Craftsman 21829

Didn't work with Firefox at all. But was able to eventually watch it with IE.

I agree, very scary watching him cut the mortises. I was happy to see him putting a Shopsmith to good use both as a drill press and drum sander.

Thanks for the link!
            Doug Kerfoot
            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• smorris
              • Apr 2003
              • Tampa, Florida, USA.

This made me go out and check and several of the seasons are available as torrents. I'm currently downloading the complete seasons 1-4 which is about 3 gig each. I'll burn each season to a DVD. They are in divx format so should play on most anything.
              --
              Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• pacwind3
                Established Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Vancouver, WA
                • Bosch 4100

Torrents?????

Comment

• smorris
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by pacwind3
                  Torrents?????
                  Simplified - Torrents are a P2P network in which a number of computers all have sections or complete copies of a file you are looking for. When you look for a file a torrent server points to the machines which have what you are looking for and begins the transfer. I'm currently connected to about 30 different machines which are pushing parts to me which are then reassembled by the torrent software. At the same time I am providing the parts I have downloaded to others who don't have those parts yet.

Here is a link to the torrent software I use http://www.utorrent.com/ and a link to the tracker with the NYW torrents available http://www.sumotorrent.com/en/search...+workshop.html .

Using torrents I have downloaded the complete David Marks video series, other woodworking videos, Shopnotes and FWW from volume 1 to current in pdf format.
                  Last edited by smorris; 01-01-2010, 07:50 PM.
                  --

Comment

• just started
                    • Mar 2008
                    • suburban Philly

Originally posted by pacwind3
                    Torrents?????
                    'Danger Will Robinson!!!!!!' Those file sharing networks are the source of a large percentage of malware.

Comment

• smorris
                      • Apr 2003
                      • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by just started
                      'Danger Will Robinson!!!!!!' Those file sharing networks are the source of a large percentage of malware.
                      I it certainly advisable to scan them before you play them. My virus scanner does so as they come in. I certainly wouldn't download software from them.
                      Last edited by smorris; 01-01-2010, 09:28 PM.
                      --

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, that is really cool. Thanks again Turaj, two fine contributions in as many days
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by smorris
                          I it certainly advisable to scan them before you play them. My virus scanner does so as they come in. I certainly wouldn't download software from them.
                          Several Linux distro's are also distributed as torrents.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• phi1l
                            • Oct 2009
                            • Madison, WI

Did anyone notice that, the way he constructed it, there is no way to replace the mirror if broken without replacing the whole door?

Comment

• cgallery
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Milwaukee, WI
                              • BT3K

Originally posted by phi1l
                              Did anyone notice that, the way he constructed it, there is no way to replace the mirror if broken without replacing the whole door?
                              Yep.

And he didn't use a biscuit jointer or an air nailer. And I don't think I saw him use any clamps, either.

I also think it is interesting how he started w/ a Craftsman radial arm saw. When Delta/PC started to sponsor the show, I guess they replaced all his tools.

Comment

Working...