• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

message in the air

As I am sitting here typing, we're at 30,000 feet somewhere between Atlanta and Hartford, CT.

Delta is pushing its new in air wifi GOGOINFLIGHT and they gave us a code for free trial.
    Normally $10 for the flight.

Took me about 15 minutes to sign up... it was very slow and unresponsive but it got much better once i got connected to locations on the ground.
    This seems to work fine on BT3 central, gmail, and various news outlets.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Hmmm... let me know how you like it. When I fly business I usually fly Delta and could justify spending it for business since most of my trips are short notice.

What ya doing in CT?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

That's good news. No excuses for not posting.

Comment

• thestinker
        • Oct 2005
        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I can see how that would be really useful, especially if you were going on really long trips. For shorter ones I would almost just unplug and use the trip time as why I didn't get more done.
        Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

It will become common place . . . after I retire and quite flying long trips!

I have been following this idea in the news for some time. It sure has taken long enough to get here.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Does this mean they are going to take WiFi off the list of devices that must be powered off in-flight? I mean if they are selling the service, WiFi really won't crash the plane, now will it?
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• BerniePA
              Established Member
              • Nov 2007
              • San Tan Valley, AZ
              • Grizzly 0575

Originally posted by crokett
              Does this mean they are going to take WiFi off the list of devices that must be powered off in-flight? I mean if they are selling the service, WiFi really won't crash the plane, now will it?
              Probably no more than the pilots not paying attention to flying the plane will!!!
              Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by crokett
                they said that if you have a device with wifi and cellular, then you have to disable the cellular portion to use the wifi.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

When I'm doing the piloting and the weather is good , I leave my Blackberry turned on and use it to update my arrival time when I'm being met at the airport. Never had a problem with my navigation instruments.

I'm pretty certain requiring cell phones to be turned off is a requirement of the FCC, not the FAA.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2003
                    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                    • BT3100

Gee,

I don't know, $10.00 to listen to you guys???

Bruce
                    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

I think Alaska/Horizon and Southwest are getting ready to offer the same thing. Earlier this year when flying between Sacramento/Seattle/Boise on both airlines the onboard magazine said something about it. Don't know if I would use it on those flights but on longer ones, yes.

Tom

Comment

• Kristofor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I don't have to do TPAC/TATL flights with any frequency, for those such a service would be nice.

For domestic non-family flights my routine is always the same. Sit down put on the sunglasses (day or night), wait for the all clear to put in the headphones and power up the Xen then fall asleep until the FA comes around to say it's time to land and I need to turn it off. If I get lucky and we're on a nice bouncy ride I may stay awake but otherwise the process is the same.

6000+ mile family vacation/car trips at a young age with parents that didn't like to stop helpped develop a bladder that has yet to visit a bathroom on a domestic flight (of course I've never been on one of those he** flights with 15 hours waiting on the tarmac either)

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Kristofor
                          I don't have to do TPAC/TATL flights with any frequency, for those such a service would be nice.

For domestic non-family flights my routine is always the same. Sit down put on the sunglasses (day or night), wait for the all clear to put in the headphones and power up the Xen then fall asleep until the FA comes around to say it's time to land and I need to turn it off. If I get lucky and we're on a nice bouncy ride I may stay awake but otherwise the process is the same.

6000+ mile family vacation/car trips at a young age with parents that didn't like to stop helpped develop a bladder that has yet to visit a bathroom on a domestic flight (of course I've never been on one of those he** flights with 15 hours waiting on the tarmac either)

as the age goes up the bladder interval goes down.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• just started
                            • Mar 2008
                            • suburban Philly

Jackellis is right, it's an FCC rule and will never change, they cause too much interference in the entire cell system from ANY airborn source.

Comment

Working...