• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

You Won't Believe This!!

But, it's absolutely true. I decided to apply for Social Security a bit early (after all it's my money). I went online Sunday night and made application. Monday morning I get a call from a very nice lady from our local SS office informing me she received my application from the internet. She said the only paperwork she needed was my DD 214 (military). She said if I came to the office at 1:00 P.M. to drop it off, she would meet me in the waiting area, and I wouldn't have to wait with a large group holding numbered tickets.

Well, I was about 10 minutes early and decided to take a ticket anyway (just in case). I waited 45 minutes for my number to be called. I went to the designated window, dropped off the form (to a different lady) and was outta there.

The original lady called me about 30 minutes later and apologized for making me wait. Today, not 3 whole days later, a SS check was credited to our account. I am just flabergasted.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Uhhh... WOW!

Comment

• RAFlorida
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
      • Ryobi BT3000

Congratulations on joining the

rank and file. And a speedy check no less. Mine, back in '06 took about 3 weeks and I thought THAT was fast!

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

I keep waiting for the Nigerian Prince to appear in this story.....

Bill,
        On the Sunny Oregon Coast

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

I recently became eligible for a program that is sort of jointly administered by the Department of Labor and the IRS. You would think that "jointly administered" and "IRS" would make for an automatic CF. Not so!

I've called them a couple of times. There was some wait time and button pushing to get through to a human, but when I did I was greeted by a well-informed individual, who introduced herself by name, answered my questions fully and with full understanding of context.

Government bureaucrats who seem to enjoy their work and systems that deliver efficient service. What will they think of next?!

JR
          JR

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

It must be a scam, c-man. Send the money to me and I will inspect it for you and send it back if it's real.
            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• germdoc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Omaha, NE
              • BT3000--the gray ghost

We all hate the guv'mint except when it gives us money!
              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• steve-norrell
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • The Great Land - Alaska
                • BT3100-1

Actually I had a similar experience when I applied for SS benefits (several years ago). I had to make an appointment by phone, but had almost no wait time when I showed up.

Some folks must insist on doing a good job even if they work for the government. We need more folks like that.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• Daryl
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by germdoc
                  We all hate the guv'mint except when it gives us money!
                  Yea, right, they are giving us free money.
                  Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

Congrats C-Man. You earned it.

My experience when I signed up in July, was the same as yours. I didn't get a check until last month, since I waited until I was 66.

If you took an earlier retirement, you can buy back into the system at a later time. If you receive benefits when you are 65 you will get less per month than if you waited until you were 70. Deciding when to apply involves a guess as to your own mortality. It's pretty simple math to figure, if you are willing to predict your own demise. I chose my parents life span of 89 years each.

Now, when you reach 70 [or some lesser age], you can pay back every dollar you have received, with no interest. And receive the 70 year amount. They reckon that you should expect to live 15 more years to amortize the difference. But, if you live 20 more it amounts to very advantageous annuity.

Steve
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by scmhogg
                      Deciding when to apply involves a guess as to your own mortality. It's pretty simple math to figure, if you are willing to predict your own demise.

Steve

Thanks for the explanation. To tell you the truth, I don't think I'll be paying anything back to receive better benefits. I had a belly laugh when you talked about guessing my own mortality, and predicting my demise. If I had to do that when I was active duty, my prediction could have been in minutes.

After all the years in the shop, I'm very surprised I lasted this long. From here on out, it's touch-n-go.

Comment

• tseavoy
                        Established Member
                        • May 2009
                        • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
                        • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

My experience when getting my Social Security was also good. I did everything over the phone, talking to a very nice and knowledgeable person, and by mail. When my wife applied, she was advised to take the spouse's amount since it was higher than that she would qualify on her own. I applied at age 62.
                        Remember that we and maybe our employer paid into that fund, so it isn't like you are getting money from the government. My social security contributions started in 1956.

Tom on Marrowstone

Comment

• Hoover
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • USA.

I filed for disability benefits, and was totally amazed how quickly the process went. Some government programs do work!!!
                          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Good for you C-man! Are you officially retired now?
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

Wish the wife's story was like that. She applied for SSD, and was denied, over a year ago. Reapplied 4 months ago with the help of a lawyer and still hasn't had a response other than to telll her she isn't elegible for SSI (which she didn't apply for!).
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...