• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Another pet crosses the "Rainbow Bridge"

Our 16 year old cat, Emmy, went to pet heaven last night.

She was suffering from both kidney failure and an over active thyroid condition. Even though we were medicating her for the thyroid problem, short of a kidney transplant, there wasn't much we could do for her.

Luckily, she didn't appear to be in any pain or discomfort, as we would have had to put her down.

She passed last night about 3:00AM while I was holding her, I think she was aware that she wasn't alone.

I'll build a casket today using the Jewish laws of only un-embellished Pine and no metal, all dowels. We have already picked out a place for her in the wooded area behind our house. I know she'll like it.

Don, I now know how you feel.

And thanks to Cab for the poem on "Rainbow Bridge" it's a help at this time.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Sorry to hear about the loss of part of your family. I feel your despair. I literally have a graveyard in my back yard of 2 cats...so far. We have 3 still very much alive and loving. Each of them has their own distinct personality. But, in actuality, each know that we are all they have in life. Their whole existence depends on us. They love us for that even though at times we wonder.

The best cure is to go to your local animal control, or humane society, or rescue, and save a life. The reward is pure love.

On this occasion the color rendition of "Rainbow Bridge".

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Very sorry to hear the news, Bruce... Hope you'll give another friend a home when you feel the time is right.

Comment

• pierhogunn2
        Established Member
        • Sep 2009

that's what I love in cats, there is love behind that cold icy stare

Comment

• Turaj
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
          • BT3000 (1998)

Bruce, Sorry to hear about your loss. This would be kind of day that I am dreading (our cat is 13 and Doc thinks she might be having kidney problems). Like others said, when it is time, give another friend a new life.
          Turaj (in Toronto)
          "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• Al R.
            Established Member
            • Sep 2009
            • Florida.
            • Delta 36-600

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
            Our 16 year old cat, Emmy, went to pet heaven last night.

She was suffering from both kidney failure and an over active thyroid condition. Even though we were medicating her for the thyroid problem, short of a kidney transplant, there wasn't much we could do for her.

Luckily, she didn't appear to be in any pain or discomfort, as we would have had to put her down.

She passed last night about 3:00AM while I was holding her, I think she was aware that she wasn't alone.

I'll build a casket today using the Jewish laws of only un-embellished Pine and no metal, all dowels. We have already picked out a place for her in the wooded area behind our house. I know she'll like it.

Don, I now know how you feel.

And thanks to Cab for the poem on "Rainbow Bridge" it's a help at this time.

Bruce
            Sorry to hear that.

I had a dog ‘Johnny’ who lived with me almost 17 yrs and for the last 5 he was diabetic among other things. The Bible (and included Torah) is full of passages where God mentions animal, horses, cherubims, and different animals in His kingdom.

As animals do not are aware of sin and because of that not guilty of breaking the (any) law, the door of heavens are open to them, with just some exceptions where they had to be killed because they killed an innocent human.
            "The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases"....it happens the same with a big shop.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

So nice that you could be there for her last hours. We give our hearts away, knowing that the day will come when it get broken. Then we do it all over again.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

Originally posted by Al R.
                Sorry to hear that.

I had a dog ‘Johnny’ who lived with me almost 17 yrs and for the last 5 he was diabetic among other things. The Bible (and included Torah) is full of passages where God mentions animal, horses, cherubims, and different animals in His kingdom.

As animals do not are aware of sin and because of that not guilty of breaking the (any) law, the door of heavens are open to them, with just some exceptions where they had to be killed because they killed an innocent human.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I had a dog that we had to put down around 20 years ago and I still miss it.

As far as animals and no sin, we had an old red rooster that would put that to a test. I think there are still marks on my shins from it pecking me. It was even tough when we ate it.

Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Al R.
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • Florida.
                  • Delta 36-600

Bill,

That rooster is probable a sinner, or maybe you removed the chicken-girl from him and he does not want to forgive you.

Ask him for forgiveness then.
                  "The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases"....it happens the same with a big shop.

Comment

• lrogers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Mobile, AL. USA.
                    • BT3000

I share your pain. We lost Slick kitty a few months ago (18 yrs old) to pretty much the same thing.
                    Larry R. Rogers
                    The Samurai Wood Butcher
                    http://splash54.multiply.com
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Ya done good, Bruce, giving her peace and comfort in her last moments.

Blessings on ya.
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

• gerti
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Been there last year. Amazing how despite having two big dogs the house does feel emptier. Good you were with her to comfort her.

Comment

• toolbelt diva
                          Established Member
                          • Oct 2004
                          • Houston, TX, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

So sorry to hear about Emmy. I'm glad you were able to be with her when she passed.
                          Rita

Comment

• Al R.
                            Established Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • Florida.
                            • Delta 36-600

I have two Beagles and my Beagle-girl recently was on the brink of dying. I was like dying in sadness with her, but thank God after permanent care and attention she is fine and healthy now, as in this today's picture.
                            Last edited by Al R.; 01-24-2010, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

I am sorry for your loss. as everyone told me, think of the happy moments.
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...