• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Cleansing my laptop of bad stuff

Today I found out that my neighbor's son had access to my work laptop intermittently. Maybe lots of times in the past year, maybe he's speaking the truth and it was just a couple of times, I am not sure. (Looks like I am not as diligent in locking my screen as I thought).

He is just 13, but already knows this m/c does not go to any social networks as long as my proxy/firewall is up, so he'd disable it and it was open season . Thing is, he also visited some border-line shady sites (not to say Facebook is not shady IMHO, but I am trying to keep this apolitical ).

My problem is : I want to clean my hard drive of any evidence of 'bad stuff'. Not to be coy, I mean dirty pictures or saucy limericks etc. This could mean my job, so I don't want to depend on serendipity here.

So what do I do? I have emptied all temporary files and cookies, so far as I know. How can I be sure?

Mind - formatting the HDD is not an option. And it has just a single partition of 80GB.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

This would save a LOT of assuming here. What operating system and version are we talking about?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Sorry - Winxp SP3. Thinkpad T61.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Assuming that this did not go through a proxy, then it is just a matter of cleaning it up...

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Del...uter&id=917785

The bigger question is how is this kid getting physical access to your laptop? That needs to stop. That can put you in jeopardy of your job, and legal actions if he does illegal things online under your logged in user ID...

I should mention, if you are using Firefox, the path varies depending on version, but it is usually tools --> options --> privacy --> clear private data.

Then you have to simply do a search for known media file types such as .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .wmv, .mpg etc... Review the files and if questionable lose them...

After all is said and done, run a registry cleaner on the system. There are registry entries to files as well..
        Last edited by dbhost; 12-01-2009, 05:21 PM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I'm no geek, but I'll offer a suggestion. You've probably deleted all history. But, I'm told that there are hangers on that cling with a death grip. I was going to try something like this.. Don't know how effective it is, but better than nothing.

Maybe get a belt clip for your laptop.

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

Make sure you show all the hidden files/folders. If you have malware this the best thing I've used.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by dbhost
              The bigger question is how is this kid getting physical access to your laptop? That needs to stop. That can put you in jeopardy of your job, and legal actions if he does illegal things online under your logged in user ID...
              Tell me about it! He says he just saw the machine unoccupied and he sat down to use it. He's had general access to our home and we never found a need to lock down before. Now that I've had a talk with him, he'll be on notice : he's not to use just any computer inside our home. There is a Mac my kids use and I'll allow him on that, but only after he takes permission each and every time.

He has it a bit rough at home with his stepfather, and I don't plan to make it tougher. I like it that he understands the trouble he could have caused me, and is eager to make amends.

As a geek myself I particularly like it that he understood enough to bypass my proxy, though I did not tell him that . At the same time, it's time I engage in 'teenager proof' measures with my electronic stuff. He's not gonna find it as easy next time...

Thanks for the links, DB and CM and Jussi - shall go about this clean up pronto.
              Last edited by radhak; 12-01-2009, 06:18 PM.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

FWIW, I have been using K9 Web Protection as a parental tools software. I am not going to to pretend it's very robust and smart kid proof, but I like it so far. My kids are 8 and 5, and so far has worked well.

I can easily turn it off or adjust it with just a password. I really don't want to get to the point of setting up other profiles just for the kids, and we only have one PC right now.

I know it's your work LT, so it may not be applicable, but I figured I would hijack the thread to help others .

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
                Joe

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

When you think you are done cleaning use a utility that wipes the unused space on the hard drive so no deleted files can be resurrected.

Bill

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Better run an eraser program ( http://majorgeeks.com/Eraser_d4221.html) on the open space on your HD.

Remember, deleting a file doesn't remove it from your hard drive, just removes the link to it and makes the space available for re-use.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...