• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

My Dad's Christmas Train

These pics were snapped today just before we put tree up. My father got this train as a Christmas gift when he was 5 or 6, and gave it to me shortly after I was married in the early 80's. It's pre-WWII era Lionel O-gauge...likely 1939 or 1940 but I'm not exactly sure. It's incredibly well made and very heavy compared to other O-gauge trains we have, which are also fairly old. It's the only locomotive in our fleet of 4 that's heavy and strong enough to pull all 17 cars that we can string together.

I always like the train as a kid, and thought it made for a pretty neat Christmas tradition as an adult. It was even more cherished after Dad passed away in 2000...he was so pleased to pass it on to "his oldest son". It doesn't seem fair to my younger brother but I don't recall him showing the interest in that I had either.

If any of you have ever given thought to getting into the Christmas train tradition, I strongly urge you do it. We fill the gondola cars with candy, and the flat cars with candy canes. We have a choo-choo Charlie hat and a little village set that the kids like to play with. It's been a major kiddie magnet since they were little, and I'll know they'll treasure the memories when they're older too.

Last edited by Knottscott; 12-05-2009, 01:50 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...