• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Christmas Trees and Trains

How many have trains under their trees? I've always wondered why we do that. My parents never had one. I was never interested in trains, but I have always loved Legos. It was a great excuse to buy a Lego train.

I have had a Lego train under my tree (a 6v 3225 for the AFOL's in the audience...) and my kids love it. They are all now old enough that I don't worry about them playing with it without destroying it. I'm thinking of making a matching village for the tree this year .

What is under your tree? I'm sure there has to be some pretty cool setups.
    Joe
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Round & Round...

When I was 3 years old, I received a Lionel Union Pacific diesel freight set for Christmas. It went under the Christmas tree every year. I played with it all year long, but for the Christmas season, it became part of the decorations. Years later, as a teenager, I (stupidly) sold the engines. When my son was 4 years old, we bought him a Lionel Cannonball steam train set for Christmas and it became part of the Christmas decorations also. It is still in its original box for safe keeping. When our Grandson was 4 years old, I purchased an MTH 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive with ProtoSound and smoke, an oval of Lionel FasTrack, and a new transformer for under the Christmas tree at our house. I dragged out some freight cars I had saved from my childhood to use with the new engine. He also received a Lionel Polar Express set from Santa Clause for his house. Our Granddaughter loves to play with the new train (she's almost 3 now). I don't where or when the tradition started, but I'm going to keep it going as long as I can. Yeah, I'm a train nut too.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

One of our favorite Christmas traditions is to pull out my father's 1939 Lionel O gauge train set and put it around the tree. Wow, that things built like a tank!
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Never had a train... Sometimes didn't even have a tree. For my folks, getting food on the table was the more pressing need.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

We had a set up of Lionel HO (I think) on a ping pong sized table. There were buildings stations mountains, bridges...cool stuff. I don't know what happened to it.

Comment

• thestinker
            • Oct 2005
            • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I started getting the old Lionel trains when I was about 8 or 9. Once my kiddos get a tad older then maybe they can come out to be used as decorations.

Riley
            Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

We had a train one year running around the tree but the cat kept attacking it. We put a couple of train ornaments on the tree instead. Perhaps I'll pull the train out one of these days.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

My 1950s vintage Lionel O-27 gauge steam freight train is under our tree every year.

A lot of memories in that train of time spent with my dad.
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I have had an O-gauge, Happy Time train(think, cheaper Lionell). My father worked on the railroad so it was a natural fit - for me anyway.
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• JSUPreston
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Montgomery, AL.
                    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                    Never had a train... Sometimes didn't even have a tree. For my folks, getting food on the table was the more pressing need.
                    Cracker, I know all too well what you mean. Fortunately, my kids don't have to worry about what you and I did as kids. That being said, I make sure there is a train under the tree. This year, I may pull Thomas the Tank Engine Lionel set out. Usually we use a plastic battery powered set.
                    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Thalermade
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ohio
                      • BT 3000

My parents never had a train at Christmas time for the family

We have a plastic train that runs on batteries we use, well we did until our dog tried chasing it. So I guess it has been about 8 years since we had a train under our tree.

Not to derail, maybe just switch tracks, this thread - How many communities have a big model train display set up for Christmas? Here is the link to the display in Cincinnati .
                      The display, one of the largest portable models in the world, measures 36½ feet by 47½ feet long and is authentic "O" gauge in which a quarter inch on the model is equivalent to one foot on a real train. Rail cars, tracks and buildings are 1/48th actual size. The Duke Energy/CSX display includes approximately 300 train cars and 50 locomotives on 1,000 feet of track. During the holiday season, the trains will run over 100,000 scale miles.

Happy Holidays,
                      Russ

Comment

• herb fellows
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • New York City
                        • bt3100

Originally posted by Knottscott
                        One of our favorite Christmas traditions is to pull out my father's 1939 Lionel O gauge train set and put it around the tree. Wow, that things built like a tank!
                        Wow! That must be totally awesome! Stuff like this is a testament to the American manufacturing of years gone by. It's really a shame that we have lost that.
                        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• herb fellows
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • New York City
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by BobSch
                          My 1950s vintage Lionel O-27 gauge steam freight train is under our tree every year.

A lot of memories in that train of time spent with my dad.
                          Once again, I am extremely envious! those memories are worth their weight in gold! And the way prices for good old American made stuff is going, the trains might be worth their weight in gold also!
                          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• herb fellows
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • New York City
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                            Cracker, I know all too well what you mean. Fortunately, my kids don't have to worry about what you and I did as kids. That being said, I make sure there is a train under the tree. This year, I may pull Thomas the Tank Engine Lionel set out. Usually we use a plastic battery powered set.
                            Plus 2 on that. We were homeless before it became a part of the language, I think! Some good memories, but a lot of hard times.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Maumee, OH, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Emma &The Train Under The Tree...

No, Emma the boxer is not trying to end it all, Just tuckered out from watching it.
                              Attached Files
                              Jim Frye
                              The Nut in the Cellar.
                              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...