• Show
Clear All
  • fbrend123
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006
    • Michigan
    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
    What are the odds of parking beside a vehicle with the same code as yours?
    Talk about odds: Back in the '50s, I knew a guy who traded his '53 Olds in for a '55. He once grabbed a set of leftover keys from his '53, and they worked on the '55. I guess there are only so many tumbler combos, and you're bound to recycle sometime. But he same guy????

Comment

• sscherin
      • Dec 2003
      • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Originally posted by fbrend123
      Talk about odds: Back in the '50s, I knew a guy who traded his '53 Olds in for a '55. He once grabbed a set of leftover keys from his '53, and they worked on the '55. I guess there are only so many tumbler combos, and you're bound to recycle sometime. But he same guy????
      That's not unheard of.. The 80's and back car keys only had 5 or 6 tumblers and 4-5 positions for them.. Odds are 1 in 30 that your key would fit a car from the same manufacturer.

The counter guy at the Chevy dealer in Federal Way, Wa could just look at a old GM key and tell you the code for it..
      William's Law--
      There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
      cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Examining the sequence of previously generated keys cannot be used to predict the next ones, unless you know the exact PRBS algorithm used.
        Even that is not enough - the correct start sequence must be selected as well.

That's what is happening when you "initialize" or "train" your garage door opener remote, for example. The transmitter is telling the receiver where to start. Without that knowledge, any other remote running exactly the same algorithm cannot open the garage door.
        Last edited by woodturner; 11-20-2009, 08:01 AM. Reason: fixed typo
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

Interesting time to find this post. Just yesterday one of my neighbours came home with his newly installed remote car starter. The only problem is that every time he started his car, the woman the other side of me would have her car alarm go off.
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by sscherin
            That's not unheard of.. The 80's and back car keys only had 5 or 6 tumblers and 4-5 positions for them.. Odds are 1 in 30 that your key would fit a car from the same manufacturer.

The counter guy at the Chevy dealer in Federal Way, Wa could just look at a old GM key and tell you the code for it..
            yeah, the GM dealer used to have a big ring of about that many keys, they could open your car after trying a few of them.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• OpaDC
              Established Member
              • Feb 2008
              • Pensacola, FL
              • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
              Interesting time to find this post. Just yesterday one of my neighbours came home with his newly installed remote car starter. The only problem is that every time he started his car, the woman the other side of me would have her car alarm go off.
              As long as they don't change my TV channels we're okay.

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• cwithboat
                • Jan 2008
                • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                • Craftsman Pro 21829

All this demonstrates the virtue of owning a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Pickup (2WD). To lock the car doors you hold your key ring in your left hand and with your right hand push down the lock and shut the door. In addition, as there is no electric window operation, when the truck rolls off the ferry into Puget Sound the window is easily lowered manually and I can swim out. Of course the water is less than 50 degrees F and I will quickly succumb to hypothermia.
                I own this truck because I had to forego the 928 I was all set to buy when my boss called me into his office and told me I was going to retire. Sensible . but ......
                I will succumb to something else before this truck expires.
                regards,
                Charlie
                A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  Just a bunch of alarmist BS.
                  Yes. A lot if these kinds of things are alarmist. It is easier to just do a smash and grab or simply steal your keys than it is to clone a key fob.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cabinetman
                    I don't know if it's possible, but in this Snopes link they say it could happen.
                    http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp
                    That's the same link I posted, where they say it couldn't happen and that there is no evidence it has ever happened.

Comment

• woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                      Just yesterday one of my neighbours came home with his newly installed remote car starter. The only problem is that every time he started his car, the woman the other side of me would have her car alarm go off.
                      The aftermarket starters and alarms often do not use the same level of security. When you are buying starters, alarms, garage door openers, or other products that use a remote, look for words like "rolling codes" , "codebuster" , etc. to find the more secure products that are using a pseudorandom code sequence that changes each time the remote is used.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by woodturner
                        That's the same link I posted, where they say it couldn't happen and that there is no evidence it has ever happened.

The link you originally posted did not work. I see that today (@ 7:58 AM) you edited the post with the correct link. There may be many cars today still using older technology that may be subject to "code grabbers".

From the Snopes link:

Origins: Automobile remote keyless entry systems (RKE) were introduced in the 1980s. They've proved to be a big hit, making it easier for the grocery-laden to unlock their cars and sparing many of the terminally forgetful from finding they've left their keys in the ignitions of their now-locked cars or their purses on the seats of same.

The earliest RKE systems were quite vulnerable to the sort of attack described in the warning e-mails quoted above. Their RF transmitters (usually built into key fobs) sent unique identifying codes that could be picked off by 'code grabbers,' devices that recorded the codes sent out when drivers pushed buttons on their remote key fobs to lock or unlock their cars.

As for whether Snopes said it couldn't happen:

It is theoretically possible for a very determined thief armed with the right technology and the ability to manipulate it correctly to snatch a keycode from the air and use it to enter a vehicle.

Because there was no statement that it ever happened doesn't mean it never happened. That means to me that they didn't have evidence that it ever happened.

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Because there was no statement that it ever happened doesn't mean it never happened. That means to me that they didn't have evidence that it ever happened.
                          Taking the reverse, is there any evidence that it HAS happened, beyond some anecdotal story in an email? A determined thief could do this if he/she had the right equipment. However, most thieves are not that determined, nor are they all that well-educated or financed. My guess is a thief that is sophisicated enough to do this probably can also drive the car away.
                          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
                            Taking the reverse, is there any evidence that it HAS happened, beyond some anecdotal story in an email? A determined thief could do this if he/she had the right equipment. However, most thieves are not that determined, nor are they all that well-educated or financed. My guess is a thief that is sophisicated enough to do this probably can also drive the car away.

That could be possibly true providing the following:

The thief actually gained entry.
                            The car started.
                            The thief knew how to drive.
                            The car was mechanically able to be driven.
                            The car was not blocked in preventing a getaway.

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by crokett
                              is there any evidence that it HAS happened, beyond some anecdotal story in an email?
                              According to snopes, no:
                              "None of the police agencies we spoke with had ever heard of an instance of an automobile break-in theft being accomplished through the method described above."

Comment

• woodturner
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jun 2008
                                • Western Pennsylvania

The link you originally posted did not work. I see that today (@ 7:58 AM) you edited the post with the correct link.
                                I actually added the missing "s" to the link shortly after I posted it originally, when I checked my post and found the link didn't work. What I don't really understand is why Snopes won't allow their links to be copied and pasted - that would ensure the links are correctly conveyed.

FWIW, the edit this morning was to fix a typo in the text. You have probably noticed I'm pretty fussy about my writing and typos really annoy me :-)

It is theoretically possible for a very determined thief armed with the right technology and the ability to manipulate it correctly to snatch a keycode from the air and use it to enter a vehicle.
                                Yes - "theoretically" possible, practically impossible. Further in that paragraph, they explain why it can't be done:
                                "the thief would have to spend hours (if not days) crunching data and replicating a device"
                                Last edited by woodturner; 11-20-2009, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...