• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A Bunch Of New Names

While at Sears yesterday, I picked up their new tool catalog. While flipping through, found a bunch of brands I never heard of:

Evolution circular saws & blades
    Trend router & accessories
    Felker wet saws
    Trojan saws and accessories
    PNI nailers
    Universal air tools
    Kaeser compressors
    Megapro
    Evolv tools

Just because I'm not familiar with some of the new stuff they carry doesn't mean squat. But it's just weird seeing such a variety in a Sears catalog along with Craftsman. They even have Craftsman tool chests now in yellow, green and blue...go figure.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

The very concept of Trojan saws scares me...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

I've heard of Trend and Felker, but just barely. The rest, who knows?
      It's like buying artwork and they say it is 'signed'. Yeeeeahhhh? That's nice. More importantly though, signed BY WHO?? Joe Kelly and Renoir have slightly different price points....
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Some, I think, are just another way of saying Harbor Freight.

I tend to look at the place of manufacture. I try to stay with North America, after that I pick, when I have a choice, a third world country that I would like to help. Work clothing from Wally World in particular. From China and they seem to be strangely sized and self destruct sooner. Bangladesh and they have a good fit and last for more washings. I think that the first time I see a tool that is made in Bangladesh I'm going to buy it.

Bill

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

I've recently noticed a lot of tool brands that I never heard of. That doesn't necessarily mean they're no good. Just that I haven't heard of them before. And judging a tool by price alone might not be the best way to judge them. A relatively new maker of quality tools might be on the lower end of the price scale, just to get people to get to know the product. Of course the odds of that are not great.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
            • Dec 2005
            • Russell, NY, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Most of these I don't know either. Except Trend; I have a trim-plunge router, made in the UK and modestly priced. Works well for what it was intended for, trimming and dovetail fixtures.
            RuffSawn
            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...