X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodwerker
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005

More Stainless hardware than I need

OMG... My wife went to do some shopping late afternoon today while I got the kids ready for trick or treat. My wife comes home and says "I think I got a good deal for you"
    She stopped at a local big box hardware store, that will remain nameless, that happens to be closing. And knowing my love for all nuts and bolts stainless (due to our boats) she stopped by the hardware section where all stainless hardware was 90% off.
    Well they bagged all of the lag bolts, carriage bolts and wood screws in Bags of 50. They wrote on the bag the Price EACH and number of bolts.
    For Example one bag was $1.99 per bolt x 35 bolts.
    My wife grabbed a few and took them to a cashier who proceeded to charge her $1.99 per BAG and then took 90% off...
    My wife asked are you sure? Cashier say YEP been selling them all day at this price, our last day is tomorrow..
    My wife asked another cashier who agreed. At this point my wife loaded up all the bolts she could and bought 12 full shopping bags with nuts and bolts for $21.45 Must be 1500 total nuts bolts and screws!!!
    I think I am going back tomorrow to return these and maybe save a cashier some grief.
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Hopefully the manager will tell to to just keep them. If so, What a buy!! That would be a definite "YOU SUCK"!

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Nah, they'll just take them one piece at a time and do a price correction! This was an employees idea of how to extend their job a few weeks!
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I submit that you don't do anything : if you try hard enough, you might get the cashier in trouble but not really save the store much! For all we know, the store is just happy to get rid of inventory and nobody is gonna do a detailed audit of that transaction until you want it adjusted, which might open up a can of worms...

All that assuming of course, that you did not get a real humdinger of a bargain!
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

You asked the cashier to be sure, and she told you they'd been doing it all day... Meaning probably dozens already got the same deal. I submit that you've done all any conscience would need to do. Keep 'em, and enjoy your suckage!

Comment

• headhunter636
            Established Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Federal Way, WA
            • Ryobi BT 3000

Not only did she ask the cashier if she was sure, but they also asked an additional cashier. It seems that they are just emptying out the store in a fire sale. I would also venture a guess that "All Sales Are Final" since they are closing today, just like when Circuit City went away.
            Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Your wife asked two cashiers and then gave them a giant clue when she filled a shopping cart w/ all the SS stuff they had left (kinda like asking a third time).

I don't think you have any ethical obligation to go back.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

in all reality they are probably glad to be rid of it. 90% off or 99.9% off, they're losing the same amount of money more or less. I'd just keep it. And I'm usually a pretty stand up guy about not taking advantage of a store's mispricing mistakes.

If you got more than you can deal with, think eBay.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

It may not even be the store's mistake. When Circuit City went, a separate company came in, bought all the stock, brought in stock that hadn't sold at other sales, then held the "Going Out of Business" sale, wasn't even Circuit City any more at that point. One of the reasons I stay away from GOOB sales is often the third party crooks will re-price everything at a high price, then "mark down" the prices — nabs a lot of people who don't know what stuff is worth.

Obviously, that wasn't the case here, unless the clerks were POd at losing their jobs and giving their own discounts.
                  Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• tkarlmann
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Hoffman Estates, IL, USA.
                    • BT3100

Well, not to dampen your rnthusiasm, but ...

Originally posted by Woodwerker
                    I think I am going back tomorrow to return these and maybe save a cashier some grief.

Time passes ...

Now, /occasionally/ I'll use some tiny tiny % of it. Most of the time it just takes up space. I find that for the small jobs I do, I usually just need a few of a /slightly/ different size than the bargains I bought. Some days I swear I'm going to throw it all out!

On the good side, I did get some fender washers I wanted -- oh darn -- now I only want stainless, my bargains were not.
                    Last edited by tkarlmann; 11-02-2009, 03:17 AM. Reason: sposed to be "Enthusiasm" in title.
                    Thom

Comment

Working...