• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Any help with work in Chicago area

My daughter graduated from ASU last year and moved up to Chicago this summer with her boyfriend. She is still looking for a job so any and all help would be hugely appreciated.

Her primary career is in the theater and she is currently stage managing a production for a small company but these jobs dont pay and when I say dont pay I mean literally that!

She is comitted on evenings and weekends so has been looking for some form of office work that she can do M-F 8-5. At this point she will do nearly anything. Her boyfriend is working but after rent, bills etc they have literally $10 between them each week.

If any of you great BTers happen to live/work in Chicago and know of any openings at your company or elsewhere please let me know.

Many thanks in anticipation
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I have a niece in Chicago, who is a CPA, can't find a job. She now is waitressing at a

great hall type place and making great money. Good Luck to Your Daughter, Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• billwmeyer
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Weir, Ks, USA.
      • BT3000

Jobs are scarce!

I can't help either. My daughter got married the week before memorial day. While on her honeymoon, she got laid off on Monday, and her husband got laid off on Wednesday. Neither one of them can find jobs. It is tough out there! It kind of makes it rough on her Dad too.

Bill
      "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Originally posted by poolhound

Her primary career is in the theater and she is currently stage managing a production for a small company
        This is perhaps one of the best places to look for jobs in the theatre.
        Arts Search

Sigh her up, it's not that expensive and they list a lot of jobs all over the place including Chicago.

Bill,
        btw, for those not in the know,
        theater - a building or place
        theatre - the global sphere of people in the performing arts.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Thanks "Bills," It seems to be a pre-requisite to be named Bill to respond to this posting

The outlook on the job front seems pretty grim for many, thanks anyway.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

Originally posted by poolhound
            Thanks "Bills," It seems to be a pre-requisite to be named Bill to respond to this posting

The outlook on the job front seems pretty grim for many, thanks anyway.
            That is the way it always seems to work. All "Bills" and no jobs!

Bill
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

Originally posted by billwmeyer
              That is the way it always seems to work. All "Bills" and no jobs!

Bill
              Laughing....

In the theatre most of the starting jobs are not paid - intern type jobs. Then when a paying one comes along you get to live somewhere way below the poverty level while working 80 hour weeks. At least in stage/company management there are chances at rewarding jobs with a livable income.

I wish her luck and hope she can stick it out until the right job comes along. Looks like you may have a dependent that you can't write off on your taxed for a while yet.

Bill

Comment

• DustyandLefty
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2006
                • Almost West Virginia
                • BT3000 w/ side and rear tables on wheels, BT3100 portable spare, old Delta contractor's

If she knows woodworking and tools like her dad, she could apply for a job in the hardware department at one of the big boxes. (Did she do set construction too?) She'd have to insist on only the 8 to 5 hours Monday to Friday though, which would be harder to get. The stores generally need more help on weekends, and new people seem to get the hours others don't want. Best wishes to her.
                Dusty and Lefty

Comment

Working...