• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

At That Point In Life

When we're young we don't think we would be needing aids for the handicapped. I remember seeing those grab bars in showers thinking...not me. Living with some of the disabilities like arthritis, tendonitis, and CTS, everyday activities can be a PITA and other areas of the body.

LOML developed a cramping pain in her hand and ordered a wrist glove which helps with the pain. She also ordered a buttoner for me as I have a problem with my fingers and hands. Works great. They have since sent a catalog in the mail and looking through it amazes me of how many of the items I could really use.

Items like aids to remove caps, open door handles, special pens, etc. Their online catalog is a rude awakening to the reality of the extent of disabilities.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

With my knee swelling and the subsequent pain, I discovered what the extra handles in bathrooms, showers, and beside toilets were for.

I have been off of crutches for a week but I have to use a walking cain some and really use it to help lift me at times after I have been sitting for an hour or so. From this, I discovered the reason my aunt had one of those lift seats that raised and tilted forward to help people get to a standing position.

I know what those the sock pullers are for also.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

I'm getting to the point where I would be happy to have somebody trim my toenails. Not only the bending over but trying to find the perfect distance in which to see them.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Yeah, the disabilities are a pain in many parts of the body. Let's face it, everything in the natural world starts to break down as it ages. In that light, I'll take being mildly disabled over the alternative, especially since I'm not very far into my bucket list.

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
          • Dec 2002
          • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Yeah, I was young once, too. The only systemic thing--outside of eyesight, of course--that really bothers me now is restless leg syndrome. I began developing it in my early 50s and it troubles me almost constantly now. Not really a pain so much as a constant twitching ache. Sitting for long periods is almost impossible. I've bought Balans chairs for both my study at home and my office at university, and I try going between them and regular chairs since it seems to help some, but only some.
          ==========
          ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
          Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Oh, next time my kids have friends come over I wanna be wearing these...
            Attached Files

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Do you mean the toe separators, the purple nails or both?
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

After having a great aunt, who had polio, a father whose knees are going (and his Christmas scare), cancer issues in the family, and too many friends becoming disabled (several accidents), I have wondered why you don't see more four door hot rods at car shows. I also wonder why we don't just plan ahead and build all our houses handicapped accessible?

I also wonder sometimes WTH decides a house is handicapped accessible. For example, my parents new house, was sold as handicapped accessible. Grab bars were installed, already, two bathrooms had the wheelchair cutout, yet if you looked at the doors INTO them, they were too narrow for wheelchairs.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Daryl
                  I'm getting to the point where I would be happy to have somebody trim my toenails. Not only the bending over but trying to find the perfect distance in which to see them.
                  ME TOO!
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

When you consider the alternative, gettin' old ain't so bad...

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

Daryl and Lee

Do what I do. Swallow your pride and get a Pedicure. MY BIL and I have been doing it for the past few years especially as we wear sandalls during the summer. Neither one us is flexable to do our nails properly any more. Take about 30 minuets cost with tip about $20. The place we go is very good about changing the channel to ESPN for us to the distraction of the other clients who watch the Asian Soaps. But we tip better and they are good sports about it. In fact we help on young lady with her English.

Tom

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Russell, NY, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

As I've always said; "Youth is wasted on the young!" When we sold out big house I designed our replacement house on one level with hallways wide enough to get a wheelchair through as well as doorways wide enough. Instead of regular doors designed the doorways to install bi-fold doors when and if necessary. Also, one entrance door can be accessed from ground level to the back porch into the house. Hope not to have to take advantage but, you never know!
                        RuffSawn
                        Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by L. D. Jeffries
                          Hope not to have to take advantage but, you never know!
                          Well, at least you could advertise your house as wheelchair-friendly if you ever decide to sell it. Could make or break a deal.

Comment

• Ed62
                            The Full Monte
                            • Oct 2006
                            • NW Indiana
                            • BT3K

At 71, I consider myself extremely blessed. I still get around very well, I'm able to do physical work, and I feel good. I do wear glasses.

My wife has issues with balance, and she just doesn't feel well a lot of the time. So I try to keep her from using the basement stairs, and I think we'd probably have to sell the house if I were not able to do the things I do to help her now.

Ed
                            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Daryl
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by TB Roye
                              Daryl and Lee

Do what I do. Swallow your pride and get a Pedicure. MY BIL and I have been doing it for the past few years especially as we wear sandalls during the summer. Neither one us is flexable to do our nails properly any more. Take about 30 minuets cost with tip about $20. The place we go is very good about changing the channel to ESPN for us to the distraction of the other clients who watch the Asian Soaps. But we tip better and they are good sports about it. In fact we help on young lady with her English.

Tom
                              In my case, that would be torturing the podiatrist. My feet are not pretty, and I am told they smell.
                              Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

Working...