• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Bicycle Hoist--Bargain??

Some time ago a member asked about bicycle storage. I saw this on Amazon today. It looks pretty cheap to me.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Yeah, Steve, that's a good price. I've seen one at HF for as low as $10, but can't attest to its quality.

JR
    JR

Comment

• footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
      • BT3100

you know i bought mine costco a while back and i am happy with them. i bought mine for like $25. the same ones were and may still be available at homedepot / lowes.

the hf ones can be had for like $7 to $10. the wheels didnt look/turn like the ones i got from costco.

i'd just do a search on the ones on amazon for review and if they come up good, then go for it.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I got mine at Cabelas a few years ago. The called it a Bicycle / Canoe / Kayak hoist. Most unreliable piece of junk I own... The canoe stays on the ceiling because it is a pain in the butt to get down!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've got two of the HF bike slings....they're holding our cargo box for the van.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• mjernigan
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2004

I picked up a couple of these at HF about two weeks ago... had, but forgot to take with me, a coupon that would have made them about six bucks apiece. Went ahead anyway, and aside from their being a bit awkward to use when raising the bikes, they're great.

The floor space is cleared for more sawdust now, so I'm happy with them. Only, however, because we're not riding much lately... during busier riding times, the bikes would stay down most of the time since it's a hassle to raise and lower.

But for seasonal storage, they're a great deal.

Mike

Comment

• knotley
              Established Member
              • Apr 2003
              • Canada.

$$$ but worth it.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

There any reason I couldn't use one of those to hang a ladder? Or a cargo box for a van? I plan on storing my tall step ladder up under the rafter ties between the shop lights and will need a hoist.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by crokett
                  There any reason I couldn't use one of those to hang a ladder? Or a cargo box for a van? I plan on storing my tall step ladder up under the rafter ties between the shop lights and will need a hoist.
                  Don't see why not with the ladder. My MTB probably weighs 25-30 lbs. It might be hard to find balance the cargo box, though.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Tacoma, WA
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by crokett
                    Hey David, I have this old garage door opener that's just looking for a good job...........

Bill, way over here on the other side of all the mountains

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

I have 2 bike hoists that I got from HF for about $7/each. They work well. I recommend spending a few bucks and getting some better rope - don't even bother with the rope that it comes with. Each hoist uses about 50' of rope (depending upon ceiling height). I recall reading reviews from several comparable lifts, and the universal complaint was that the bike lifts come with crappy rope. Good luck.
                      Bill

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Knottscott
                        I've got two of the HF bike slings....they're holding our cargo box for the van.

I also have to hang a cargo box. When you say sling, do you mean you got two of the hoists or did you get an actual sling that attaches to the hoist?
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jziegler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Salem, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I have an HF one is it works OK. Can't complain for the price.

Jim

Comment

• Garasaki
                            • Sep 2006

I have 2 HF ones sitting in a box in my garage.

(Wonderful contribution to this discussion, eh??)

I hadn't thought of using them to store ladders. That's a gooooooooooooood idear.
                            -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                            -Henry Blake

Comment

Working...