Clear All
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

'59 Chevy vs. '09 Chevy

This isn't pretty:

Get the latest headlines on Wall Street and international economies, money news, personal finance, the stock market indexes including Dow Jones, NASDAQ, and more. Be informed and get ahead with our real-time stock quotes, deep tools such as currency converters.

Guess some things weren't better in the old days...
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

What they didn't say was that the newer Malibu was being driven by a young teenage dummy that was TWD (Texting While Driving).

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

What a waste of a nice looking 59 chevy. That car was probably worth more than the 09. My dad bought a 56 Ford Club Sedan, with the Padded dash and seat belt option. Did we use the seat belts, nope. It also had the deep dish steering wheel those were the safety features advertized back then. He did have a serious accident and if he would have been useing the seat belts he might not have been as severly injured. No shoulder belt option, that would have really would have saved him some pain. Times have sure changed. Now we have much safer cars and can still have 300HP and get good highway mileage.

Tom

Comment

• HarmsWay
        • Nov 2003
        • Victoria, BC
        • BT3000

That's a really interesting video. I've watched plenty of barrier crash tests so the Malibu response was what I would have expected. Certainly not the Bel Air though. I guess I always expected that heavy weight and big frame and thick sheet metal would rule and the Bel Air would drive through something like a Malibu. However, I still would have expected the Bel Air driver to be more injured because of the lack of seat belts and lack of crumple zones.

How about a Smart Car vs ...anything??

Bob

Turns out there is another video (Smart vs C-class)
        Get the latest headlines on Wall Street and international economies, money news, personal finance, the stock market indexes including Dow Jones, NASDAQ, and more. Be informed and get ahead with our real-time stock quotes, deep tools such as currency converters.
        Last edited by HarmsWay; 09-29-2009, 04:26 PM. Reason: Add link to Smart vs C-class

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

59 Chevy

I had a 59 Chevy. I would rather have another one. I traded a 56 Chevy four door and $295.00 for mine. It was a great car with a 283 and a powerglide.

Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Originally posted by HarmsWay
            Turns out there is another video (Smart vs C-class)
            http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ash-tests.aspx
            I like how that Smart Car promptly got out of the way and let the other one go on through. Interesting though, looks like the driver of the smart car survived the crash better than the driver of the 59 Chevy.

Bill,
            right now my Bronco is the safest vehicle on the road. although once I find a transmission for it that may change.

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

That was an interesting video. What I liked about the old cars was that you could tell at a distance if it was a Chevy, Ford, Caddy, or whatever. Now I have to read the name tags on them when they're up close.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                I like how that Smart Car promptly got out of the way and let the other one go on through.
                ROTLMAO - that smart car did look like a ping pong ball there, the Mercedes hardly slowed down. Scary to be a Smart car passenger.

Interesting though, looks like the driver of the smart car survived the crash better than the driver of the 59 Chevy.
                That is interesting. I think you're right.

right now my Bronco is the safest vehicle on the road. although once I find a transmission for it that may change.
                Fell on the floor again, LMAO.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gjat
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
                  He did have a serious accident and if he would have been useing the seat belts he might not have been as severly injured. No shoulder belt option, that would have really would have saved him some pain.
                  We have more safety available to us, but if we don't use the seatbelts and drive like maniacs, we're really no better off, especially considering how crowded our roads are now-a-days.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

I would have thought the '59 Chevy would have fared better. The crash alignment being offset may have benefited the Malibu as impact absorption construction has improved dramatically.

Comment

• BerniePA
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • San Tan Valley, AZ
                      • Grizzly 0575

SOB, SOB -- what a shame to see that beautiful '59 get wasted like that!!! My dad had one exactly like that -- same colors even. When he ordered it from the dealer, I made him get it with dual antennas on the rear fins -- he did, but did a lot of grumbling about how he was paying good money for something that wasn't connected to nuthin'!!! Looked cool back in those days though!!!
                      Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                        • BT3100

dang! you should continue and watch the other ones. the smart car get fllinged away!!

Comment

Working...