• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Hi, I'm Phil, and I'm a bandsawholic

I had been searching for a BS150LS (10" direct-drive bench-top bandsaw) for a while and about a year ago found one. I drove from Milwaukee to Rockford IL to pick it up. On Christmas eve. In a snowstorm.

When I got it home I broke the trunnion by lifting too hard on the table. Nothing could be done until the following week, when I could order a replacement from Delta.

Low and behold, a check of the local craigslist spied someone looking for a BS150LS motor. I called the guy and talked him into selling me his saw w/ the bad motor, so I could play with my new saw over the holiday. So now I had a parts saw.

I ordered some parts from Delta and while visiting the store, I told the guy I had a parts saw but it was missing some of the stuff I needed. And the motor was bad. I explained the shaft had broken and he said, "really? bring it in, I'll get you a new one." So I ordered some more parts and I had two complete BS150LS saws.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I spotted another bandsaw I had been searching for, an even more elusive Skil HD3640. While it isn't direct drive, it isn't anywhere near as heavy as the cast iron BS150LS, so I drove to Madison to take a look. And I brought it home. Three bandsaws.

Not two days later, and another HD3640 shows up on Craigslist locally. These aren't terribly expensive saws (although they were kinda spendy when they were new and before put on clearance). But they don't show up very often (ever?). So now I had four bandsaws.

I was googling information on the HD3640 when I discovered another one for sale (only $45) about three hours away, in Illinois. Ever since getting the GPS I sorta love taking trips like this. Left at about 6:30pm, got home with fifth bandsaw at about 1:00am.

Tonight was quite an achievement, though. I sold the second BS150LS saw (selling the first one a week or so ago), so I'm back down to three.

I think it is strange that I can spend so much time looking for something, only to find a bunch of them all at the same time.

Ever have anything like that happen?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Hi, Phil!

Wow. You're sick...

The way it usually works for me is that I find what I want immediately after I stop looking for it...

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i think you should start collecting some real italian bandsaws.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Hoover
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • USA.

There's something to be said for having a back up saw or 2 or 3.
        No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

Congratulations! You've taken that very important first step by admitting that you do have a problem.

The only way to start getting better is to give the extra bandsaws away to people who are relative strangers, but who wish you well on woodworking forums.
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• wardprobst
            • Jan 2006
            • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
            • Craftsman 22811

Oh Phil,

It's a rocky road...I had just added a riser kit, Iturra spring, crank handle, tire brush, and ordered a set of various blades for my Delta (one of the American made). Tuned it, cut like a dream
            The same week I went down to DFW to look at a Jet jointer/planer combo machine and the guy had a Minimax 20 that called my name.

That name would be Dale
            and I am a bandsawholic....

So now I have the Delta, a DeWalt planer and Rigid jointer to sell. It's getting crowded in here..
            www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              i think you should start collecting some real italian bandsaws.

I had that disease. Would I sell my Laguna to buy an Agazzani? I couldn't bear the thought, so I wound up with both.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by wardprobst
                Oh Phil,

That name would be Dale
                and I am a bandsawholic....

So now I have the Delta, a DeWalt planer and Rigid jointer to sell. It's getting crowded in here..
                I have seen your shop, Dale. You have an adjoining room that just has a bunch of pianos in it. Shove them out in the yard to make room for more tools! They're just there because that's how you make a living.

Get your priorities straight, Man...tools come first!
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Charlie
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
                  Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• germdoc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Omaha, NE
                    • BT3000--the gray ghost

I think you should start taking a look at handplanes on Ebay...
                    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• JoeyGee
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

With all that driving, do you actually have to time to USE them?
                      Joe

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Russell, NY, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Please explain a "direct drive bandsaw". Don't remember ever seeing one.
                        RuffSawn
                        Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• cgallery
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Milwaukee, WI
                          • BT3K

Originally posted by L. D. Jeffries
                          Please explain a "direct drive bandsaw". Don't remember ever seeing one.
                          The bottom wheel is mounted directly to the motor's shaft. This requires a lower-RPM motor (I think the BS150LS uses an 1120 or something RPM motor).

Mounting the wheel to the motor's shaft eliminates two pulleys and a belt.

Comment

• wardprobst
                            • Jan 2006
                            • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                            • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by Pappy
                            I have seen your shop, Dale. You have an adjoining room that just has a bunch of pianos in it. Shove them out in the yard to make room for more tools! They're just there because that's how you make a living.

Get your priorities straight, Man...tools come first!
                            Yeah, we were just talking about that, we have four grands and two uprights in the shops and God knows what at the warehouse in Burk...it's a disease, that work thing..
                            DP
                            www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• cgallery
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Milwaukee, WI
                              • BT3K

Originally posted by wardprobst
                              Yeah, we were just talking about that, we have four grands and two uprights in the shops and God knows what at the warehouse in Burk...it's a disease, that work thing..
                              DP
                              Wow Dale, just looked at the web page. Outstanding work.

Comment

Working...