• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nadz
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Rocket City, AL, USA.

Fish Fry Weather

Any of you guys experts at frying fish? (and chips?, and snickers bars?, and...)

If so, post some suggestions for a newbie
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Be sure of your oil temperature. I like peanut oil for frying.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Ditto the peanut oil and the temperature control... Cornmeal for breading, hushpuppies (with jalapenos), cheese grits, and beer in glass bottles submerged for hours in ice slush.

Comment

• gjat
        • Nov 2005
        • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
        • BT3100

Peanut oil for frying.
        Have your oil at full temperature before starting to fry. (Hot enough for a drop of water to pop into nothing instead of exploding into oblivion)
        Do NOT over-fry! 3 minutes or less for catfish chunks.
        And no more than 3 beers until all the frying is done, then enough beer to last 2 hours longer than the food.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

i dunno, the guys over at the fishing forum had a thread on what have you fried and the current hot thing is a breaded, deep-fried stick of butter. mmmm, cholestoral attack time!
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
            • Aug 2007
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • BT-3000, 21829

My wife is a cookbook editor and food writer. I tried for years to get a perfect coating for pan-fried fish that had a little crunch to it. We tried cracker crumbs, bread crumbs, toasted bread crumbs, etc.

She finally found that "Panko" crumbs was exactly thew crunch I wanted. I use panko on walleye (my favorite), talapia and even chicken.

You can find Panko crumbs in the Asian section.
            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

And if you're using an electric DF unit, you need one w/ enough BTU to give you fast recovery. I've seen too many units where you drop the basket and the oil temp. drops and takes too long to recover.

Milwaukee is a giant fish fry town. I'm kinda all fish fried out. These days I prefer my fish broiled.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                Veteran Member
                • May 2007
                • Tacoma, WA
                • BT3000

For Walleye Pike
                Start fire.
                Put pan on over coals.
                Toss a stick of butter in pan.
                Catch fish.
                Filet Fish.
                Dip filet in canned milk poured into tin plate.
                Dip filet panko.
                Gently place filet in pan, turn after about a minute.
                Place filet on tin plate and admire until cool enough to
                EAT

Bill, on the Sunny Oregon Coast
                Remembering when fish were caught from small aluminum boats and none of the fish were big enough to eat you.

Comment

• fbrend123
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2006
                  • Michigan
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Mr. Bill, I've caught quite a few walleye this summer, and cooked them over the campfire. I think you might want to re-order your instructions, because when we tried it your way, the butter had vaporized, the coals had gone out, the pan rusted, and all the dinner guests left before we caught the first fish. Had better luck the next time, when we caught and filletted the fish first.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Tacoma, WA
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by fbrend123
                    Mr. Bill, I've caught quite a few walleye this summer, and cooked them over the campfire. I think you might want to re-order your instructions, because when we tried it your way, the butter had vaporized, the coals had gone out, the pan rusted, and all the dinner guests left before we caught the first fish.
                    Now see, the problem was you were fishing in Michigan. Next time try here. The WEB site is more glitz than informative and when I was there the drive-in was only in winter, the rest of the year it was only fly-in, but the hunting and fishing was fantastic.

Had better luck the next time, when we caught and filletted the fish first.
                    At least you caught some fish and they never taste better than fresh over an open fire. Coffee in an enabled pot on the side of the fire and bisects baking in a covered cast iron fry pan. I forgot to mention the fry pan has to be cast iron too, just use some sand to get the rust out of it.

Bill

Comment

• fbrend123
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2006
                      • Michigan
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Sounds like a neat place, Mr. Bill. Thanks for sharing.

We troll for walleye on Saginaw Bay, which is only 45 minutes from home. Actually, I caught my very first walleye this spring, and I'm 71 years old. Believe it or not, I won two different charters at a couple of local fishing shows, this spring, so I finally learned how to catch the darned things. Traded my go-fast boat for an aluminum fishing boat last year, and this summer we've managed to bring some home just about every time we went out. Even got the wife to land a couple, but my kids (especially my oldest daughter) are the real fishermen of the family.

Saginaw Bay has been hot for the past few years.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Tacoma, WA
                        • BT3000

Sounds like a neat place, Mr. Bill. Thanks for sharing.

We troll for walleye on Saginaw Bay, which is only 45 minutes from home. Actually, I caught my very first walleye this spring, and I'm 71 years old. Believe it or not, I won two different charters at a couple of local fishing shows, this spring, so I finally learned how to catch the darned things. Traded my go-fast boat for an aluminum fishing boat last year, and this summer we've managed to bring some home just about every time we went out. Even got the wife to land a couple, but my kids (especially my oldest daughter) are the real fishermen of the family.

Saginaw Bay has been hot for the past few years.
                        Sounds like you have a great fishing spot near by. I agree a small fishing boat brings more pleasure than a fast ski boat after you don't need it to impress the girls. It's great your kids are liking to fish too they will have a life time of enjoyment and when you get old and feeble they can take you out to fish.

Bill,

Comment

• Beast
                          Handtools only
                          • Sep 2009
                          • Southern Maryland
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Hi, I'm a noob here,

I'm lucky enough to live on the Chesapeake Bay, Striped bass and Blue fish are plentiful but I think my favorite is still the oysters we have here. I like to steam them with some beer on the gas grill on those chilly October evenings.

Comment

• fbrend123
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2006
                            • Michigan
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Well, Bill, I'm old, but not yet feeble. This is a pic of my 26-yr old granddaughter with her very first walleye, caught this spring, from my aluminum fishing boat.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

She looks like one happy fisherman! You are a lucky grandpa.

Bill

Comment

Working...