IS there a decent FM transmitter for mp3 players?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

IS there a decent FM transmitter for mp3 players?

I would love to ditch my CD's and use my mp3 player in my car, but I don't have a jack for it in my car stereo. I can buy a kit to add one, but I really don't want to mess with installing it.

Most reviews I read are not happy with the FM transmitters. Does anyone use one that is happy with it?
    Joe
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have an iPhone and use this from iGearusa.com.

http://www.igearusa.com/incarhihakit1.html

It works really well but I have to turn the volume up on the car stereo quite a bit more than normal radio. When I switch back it can be a bit bracing. No worse of a shock than when shuffle switches from Mel Torme to Oingo Boingo.

I previously had one for my iPod that worked when I could find an open frequency but it only had four hardcoded frequencies you could use.
    Chr's

Comment

• bthorne
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2007
      • Ruckersville, VA
      • Craftsman 21829

I have the following for my mp3 player (non-iPod): Monster RadioPlay 300. I love it. It allows use of any station in the FM spectrum, as well as the ability to set three presets, which I have set for three blank stations in my most traveled areas (commute to work, travel to Blacksburg for football games, and visiting relatives). It is nearly crystal clear, even when you drive into an area when there is a station on the frequency you're using.

My wife has the iPod version (Monster iCarPlay Wireless Plus), and has used hers daily for the last 4 years on the way to work.

For the non-ipod version, turning the volume up on your device increases the transmitted power greatly, so you don't need to turn up the car stereo as much. iPods tend to have their volume controls locked out when you plug something into their dock connector, so whatever their default line-out volume is ends up being what you get.
      --
      Bryan

Comment

• mschrank
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2004
        • Hood River, OR, USA.
        • BT3000

Originally posted by JoeyGee
        I can buy a kit to add one, but I really don't want to mess with installing it.
        Depending on your car, it really might not be too bad. I've installed two different ones in my '08 Tacoma, and it took less than 30 minutes each time.

The kit I have now lets me use my steering wheel and/or stereo head unit controls to control the ipod, and even displays artist and song on my factory head unit. Using the cars controls let my keep my eyes on the road easier, rather than trying to scroll and read the little window on the Nano. Oh, and it also charges my ipod.

I highly recommend IPodCarPros.com if anyone wants to buy one (Not affiliated, just got great, fast service from them w/ free shipping).
        Last edited by mschrank; 09-22-2009, 11:15 AM.
        Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• jgrobler
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Salinas, CA, USA.
          • TS3650

I have tried a few different FM transmitters, and weren't happy with any of them. Often times your car radio will have an auxillary plug in the back, you just need to pull it, then you can install an unobtrusive jack for the MP3 player, if you're up to that sort of thing.

Johan

Comment

• RAV2
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Massachusetts

I have a very powerful CCrane FM transmitter:

http://www.amazon.com/Crane-FMT-Digi...3755069&sr=8-1

Read the reviews. There is a tip to open the back and crank up the potentiometer to get max range.

I could pick up signals in my shed from the transmitter in my bedroom - 60+ feet away.

Only problem is that in my suburban area, not much free FM space to broadcast in.

Takes batteries and comes with a power supply.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

One thing to watch for in larger cities - get one that allows you to set the FM to the full FM spectrum - rather than to 3 or so preset FM stations.

My daughter has one of the 3 preset FM frequencies and it so happens that her area is filled with FM stations either on those or adjacent to those, creating severe bleed over.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Sid
                Established Member
                • Apr 2004
                • Bloomington, IL, USA.
                • Craftsman 22124

+1 on the C. Crane unit.

If you go to their website at
                http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-tran...ansmitter.aspx
                you can enter a city-state or zip code to find the vacant FM channels to use in your area.

Sid

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Sid
                  +1 on the C. Crane unit.

If you go to their website at
                  http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-tran...ansmitter.aspx
                  you can enter a city-state or zip code to find the vacant FM channels to use in your area.

Sid
                  You fellows missed a key part to his request: To use in the car and the Crane is not set up for Car use unless one wants to replace batteries, or get a DC/AC converter and also have a second wire to charge the MP3/iPod.

Normal MP3 and iPod connectors 1. plug into the cigarette outlet, 2. charge the player, and 3. send the signal to the radio, all in one. I think this is what he is looking for.

I am interested in this subject because my daughter is having the same problems and has asked me to get a Japanese one and send to her. The Japanese ones go down to the 87 range where as most US ones now start in the 88 range.
                  Last edited by leehljp; 09-24-2009, 11:11 PM.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I did pick one up locally, and I am not happy with it. I discovered we have a lot more stations that I realized. I did get a few to work, but there were staticy.

I did some more searching and found a kit to add to my Civic that will get me directly into the stereo and I can use the factory controlls. All for $55 +shipping.
                    Joe

Comment

• Rand
                      Established Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Vancouver, WA, USA.

I have an Acura with the antenna built into the windshield. I haven't been able to find any that work unless I hold it up near the rear view mirror which is obviously unacceptable.
                      Rand
                      "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• mschrank
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2004
                        • Hood River, OR, USA.
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                        I did pick one up locally, and I am not happy with it. I discovered we have a lot more stations that I realized. I did get a few to work, but there were staticy.

I did some more searching and found a kit to add to my Civic that will get me directly into the stereo and I can use the factory controlls. All for $55 +shipping.
                        You'll be happy you went this route!
                        Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• JoeyGee
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Rand
                          I have an Acura with the antenna built into the windshield. I haven't been able to find any that work unless I hold it up near the rear view mirror which is obviously unacceptable.
                          I didn't try that, but it sounds like what my problem must be (and having too many stations). I have the same type of antenna. I am glad I ran into that problem and found the part I did.
                          Joe

Comment

Working...