• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Colleges hitting up the parents

Both of my kids went to college and graduated in 2004 and 2008. I have since been hit up by callers asking that I, as an alumni parent, make donations to the university XYZ.
    I explain to them that this XYZ university is my son or daughter's college and I paid them plenty in tuition already. Now I give my money to MY alma mater and if XYZ want more money they need to ask my kids.

Is this something that all colleges do now?
    I asked my dad, if after I graduated (this was back in 1974), whether my college ever asked him for money (after I graduated!) and he said no.

Anybody having the same experience?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-21-2009, 09:00 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    Anybody having the same experience?
    I only have my first (of two) in college now. So I can't speak from experience.

But I'm not surprised. First, they have nothing to lose in asking. Second, some parents may not have attended college, and may be inclined to identify somewhat strongly with the college their kids attended and donate (although I think it is a long shot). Third, donations and endowments are down, so I imagine they're leaving no rock unturned.

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Unfortunately, sign of the times as I'm sure you know. Most if not all schools have lost huge amounts from donors and benefactors, and they will try to make up for it any way they can.
      I guess they figure the worst that can happen is you say no, but it really can leave a bad taste in your mouth. I've had some charities that we give to call recently almost demanding that we up our gift.
      They really need to find a better approach that won't turn people off so much that they might decide to cut the charity altogether.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

Since I am my own "parents" in the eyes of the school I get junk "To the parents of..." and laugh at it. Not everyone's parents pay for their kids education. Uncle Sam payed for a good chunk of mine, the rest is self-funded.

Many of the extras provided at the school are funded though these types of organizations, including scholarships and lab equipment.

I don't see anything wrong with it, no different than the alumni association asking for money.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

The same scenario plays out when you have parents in elder care or assised living situations. There are 'contribution drives' of one sort or another from a facility which is getting $3500/ mo and that does not include the meds! It's everywhere.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

My middle kid went to Brown in the 90's. I still receive the fundraiser phone calls. And, that's after $32,000.00 a year for tuition. I tell them that I am still broke.

Steve
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...