• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

mosquitos in toilet

We have a bigger house but the kids have more or less moved out of town with jobs just making ocassional visits. Upstairs are two bathrooms we don't use much but do on ocassion. Today my wife said there was something swimming in one of the toilets and lo and behold - mosquito larvae - Mosquitos are bad in the Houston area and we've been seeing a bunch get in the house when we open the doors. So there's probably 100 or more larvae swimming in the bowl, I flush the toilet and they're gone from the house at least.

So the mosquito breeding cycle is a 5-14 days, I think. How do I keep mosquitos from breeding when a few get in the house? The obvious is to flush the water every few days, but that requires remembering. Is there something I can put in the tank that will leach a few drops into the tank and keep them from breeding when that water sits in the bowl? I want to be able to use the toilets from time to time so just dropping something in the bowl won't get it.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I know that pouring some cooking oil down a seldom used drain will keep the water from evaporating out of a P-trap. Maybe if you pour some cooking oil into the bowl it will be enough to keep the little buggers away from the water. Then again maybe not, I don't know for sure.

Comment

• pacwind3
      Established Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Vancouver, WA
      • Bosch 4100

Bleach. They can't live in bleach water. I would try the clorox drop in cleaning things. I think they would have enough bleach to take care of it. I know our toilets smell like bleach when you flush.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

Here in NY, we use a product called "Mosquito Dunks" for swimming pools and any standing water, storm drains, old tires that fill with rain.

I assume that if you don't flush the toilets too ofter and keep the lid down, they'll work great. And they're cheap.

Bruce
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Could always Saran-wrap the bowls, but you'd have to remember to remove that before any of the kids came back for a stay.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by cgallery
            Could always Saran-wrap the bowls, but you'd have to remember to remove that before any of the kids came back for a stay.

My first wife tried to teach me as lesson about leaving the lid up. She wrapped the bowl with Saran wrap one evening. I used the facility and had a surprise. Not to be outdone, I waited a few days. She would be in the habit of using the john in the middle of the night with the light off. So, I smeared Vaseline all over the seat.

Comment

• jonmulzer
              • Dec 2007
              • Indianapolis, IN

The bleach would work as long as you flushed every few days but it dissipates from water slowly. I don't know what the active ingredients are in the blue toilet cleaners but they smell more soapy and might last longer. If that does not work, keep a bottle of cheap cooking oil next to the toilet and add a bit after every flush. I bet the oil slick would keep them out.
              "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

it would seem that a few drops of cooking oil in a drain witha cross section of 1" ia woul work OK, but it would take a lot of oil to cover a toilet bowl and it would have to be replaced after every flush.

Some mosquito dunks or clorox cleaning dunks of in the tank would work OK, I think, but would they just dissolve away if the tank is not flushed frequently?
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

How about 2000 flushes?

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Just turn a few bats loose in your house... No more skeeters...

(Don't think about the mess they leave... You don't guano know... )
                    Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 08-29-2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• annunaki
                      • Jan 2008
                      • White Springs, Florida
                      • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Try Neem

Neem is a natural product made from the bark of a tree grown in India.
                      It is harmless to fish and animals, yet can be put into a lake or pond to kill mosquito larvae.
                      The way it works is that the larvae sits below the surface with a tube like a snorkel sticking above the surface for air.
                      Neem forms a floating film that clogs the snorkel.
                      Kerosene will work too, but who needs the odor?
                      Any oil that will spread out should work but may get a rancid odor in time.

I have a parrot in my computer room and cannot use any pesticides.
                      From time to time I get small flying insects in the room.
                      At night they are attracted to the computer monitor screen which is left on. A small pan of water with a few drops of vegetable oil which breaks the surface tension of the water eliminates their ability to land safely on the water to drink and they drown. In the morning I find them dead, and simply change the water for the next use.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

Put a goldfish in the bowl

Comment

• tommyt654
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2008

I doubt if anyone could tell the difference from the Mosquito bites or the pimples on my A**, So whats the worry

Comment

• herb fellows
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • New York City
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by annunaki
                            Neem is a natural product made from the bark of a tree grown in India.
                            It is harmless to fish and animals, yet can be put into a lake or pond to kill mosquito larvae.
                            The way it works is that the larvae sits below the surface with a tube like a snorkel sticking above the surface for air.
                            Neem forms a floating film that clogs the snorkel.
                            Kerosene will work too, but who needs the odor?
                            Any oil that will spread out should work but may get a rancid odor in time.

I have a parrot in my computer room and cannot use any pesticides.
                            From time to time I get small flying insects in the room.
                            At night they are attracted to the computer monitor screen which is left on. A small pan of water with a few drops of vegetable oil which breaks the surface tension of the water eliminates their ability to land safely on the water to drink and they drown. In the morning I find them dead, and simply change the water for the next use.
                            Admittedly a parrot can be annoying from time to time, but using pesticides on them is really not.....
                            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• herb fellows
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • New York City
                              • bt3100

If you don't like the bats idea, dragonflies will do quite a nice job. Dey luvs dem dragonflies!
                              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

Working...