• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Learning to ice skate

Now that I am on the other side of 40 (been here for 3 years), I am trying things I never did before.

My girls joined an 'introduction to ice skating' set of 3 classes, and I went ahead and joined them ! (I have never even done roller skates or skateboard). Yesterday was the 1st class, and I was relieved to see that adults were separated out from the kids! Most of the coaches are girls barely out of their teens and I guess they must have drawn straws to try and stay with the younger ones ! The unlucky one was really old (in her mid 20s), and was forever looking wistfully at the other group having loads of fun...

I daresay my first steps onto that incredibly slippery ice were some of my most terrifying moments - almost desperate to try and stay upright and nowhere to hold on to. Even when I was at the edge and held onto the wall, it was not reassuring.

But at the end of the hour, it was much better - at least i can stand up, duck-walk, and even glide 6 inches at a time! Looking forward to next week, when we also get almost 2 hours of practice time.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • jgrobler
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Salinas, CA, USA.
    • TS3650

I've ice-skated somewhat when I was younger, haven't been on the ice in probably 15 years. I was never really good, but could get around the rink without falling. Fortunately I learned what I could when I was young enough to not mind falling down.

Since I moved to the US, I've also tried things I haven't done before. Never had the opportunity to snow ski, and love it. I tried skiing the first time about 6 years ago, took the beginners lesson, and love it. Now I try to go at least once every winter. But I stay on the greens and easier blues.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Congratulations! Ice skating can be lots of fun and must be nice in FL heat. I have to say, the hardest part of skating is the ice.

When I saw the topic the first thing that jumped into my mind was, 'dang, now David is going to tell us the lake froze over!'

Bill, on the Sunny Oregon Coast where today it's about 65 sunny with a light breeze off of the ocean.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Ice skating in Florida? Next thing you know, you'll be cliff-diving in Alaska!

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Radhak, you will get it. Are you using hockey skates or figure skates? I would also suggest that one of the first things you learn is how to stop. It looks a lot better to stop than to crash into a wall.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I ice skated as a kid in N.Y. I ice skated as an adult in shoes on frozen sidewalks (not in Florida) entertaining anyone watching me out of control.

When I finally got to one of the few rinks down here, my ankles got pretty worn out. Other than that I did a lot of backward skating (not my choice). LOML and I have done quite a bit of rollerblading, which we both enjoy.

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

As an "import" to Minnesota, I had never ice skated until a few years ago. I used to roller-blade all the time though (still do very occasionally) so it wasn't a huge leap, but still a bit of something to get used to. I still wouldn't say I'm great at it, but it's fun once in awhile. We have a small pond in the back that I snowblowed part of it off last year so the family could get out and skate. I was going to flood it for a nice even surface but the garden hose was frozen solid (even though I always blow it out with compressed air every fall). But it still worked fairly well...

Comment

• Ozzie
                Established Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.

Went to visit my son and grandsons. The eight year old had gotten interested in Hockey and picked it up like a fish to water. We went to watch him do some skating during open time at the rink and of course he wanted Grandpa to rent some skates and join him! Ha!!!! Hadn't been on skates in 47 years and even then wasn't very good. Needless to say, I didn't want to keep him from having a good laugh so I gave in.

The first time around the rink, I was a "Wall Hugger". The second time I got two feet away. Hey, Grandma, look at me! Not bad for a 68 year old man. Only fell once and that was when I went down the middle of the rink. Landed right on my dignity.

Haven't been on skates since.
                Ozzie

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

i could never ice skate or roller skate. I'm scared of skiing that I'll break something for that reason. I just can't seem to get the knack of balancing then moving forward. Usually end up flat on my butt. In college I took down four people trying to hold me up. But I can ride a bike just fine.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Kristofor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I think almost everyone who grew up around here can skate at least a bit.

That said, I'd rather roller-skate or rollerblade on a trail than ice skate. The scenery is better in the summer "lake, forest, deer, gal in a bikini, another lake" than in the winter "red line, blue line, red line, blue line".

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I started thinking about it when in minneapolis, some years ago - for some of the same reasons . Now in So Fl, I noticed the primary reason for many is - to escape the heat! Seems the ice arena is pretty busy most of the year.

Falling and denting my dignity has been a big holdback, but I finally reasoned - the ones that will see me fall, I may not meet again. But once I do learn, the ones I impress are gonna be my friends and family ! (Yes, if you notice, learning a somewhat strenuous sport and being active is only a secondary motivation !)
                      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                      - Aristotle

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

We used to have a hockey team hereabouts, but they drowned in spring training...

Comment

• scmhogg
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000

Radhak,

I know it seems counterintuitive, but, the faster you go the easier it is.

Steve
                          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...