• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

DIY Network

I am considering changing from cable to one of the satellite providers. I may stay with cable and upgrade my channels.

I looked at DIY Network (which I don't have now), and it doesn't look like NYW or TOH is on anymore. I didn't even see Wood Works listed. Is there ANY woodworking on DIY now?
    Joe
  • jkristia
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Simi Valley, CA

I have had DIY for about 6 month now (since we switched to DirectTV) and I have never seen any woodworking shows there. I like to watch 'sweat equity' .. forget the other show now (remodel reality maybe), but they are about remodeling. It sure would be great with a dedicated woodworking show.

Comment

• drlien
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2005
      • CLEAR LAKE, MN, USA.

I've had it for about a year, and when I first got it, Wood Works, NYW, and another show (can't recall the name) were on. Now, Ask This Old house is on periodically, but I haven't seen the others since late last year. I'm really disappointed. On the upside, my local PBS channel has added 2 shows called American Woodworker and Woodsmith Shop, so there are at least some woodworking shows out there.

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

Check to see if you will get any local PBS channels. I get 2 or 3 which carry NYW, TOH, etc. DIY channel is decent for remodeling shows but really lacks a straight WW show.

Comment

• jkristia
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Simi Valley, CA

PBS - what a great idea. I just checked and it seems like one of our PBS statios has a show called 'American Woodshop' monday evenings, guess I will be 'tuning in' to that channel tomorrow evening.

Comment

• drillman88
            • Dec 2007
            • Southeast
            • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Everytime I turn PBS on the either have cooking shows or the Antique Road Show on in the slots that were occupied by wood working shows. This old house is the only show that still airs regularly.

I enjoyed the ww shows on diy but there must not be a market anymore.
            I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by drillman88
              Everytime I turn PBS on the either have cooking shows or the Antique Road Show on in the slots that were occupied by wood working shows. This old house is the only show that still airs regularly.

Locally, PBS has multiple channels since the digital switch. ALL the woodworking shows have been on one the cable company doesn't pick up and rebroadcast, you have to use over the air. (haven't bothered since the swap)
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Originally posted by jkristia
                PBS - what a great idea. I just checked and it seems like one of our PBS statios has a show called 'American Woodshop' monday evenings, guess I will be 'tuning in' to that channel tomorrow evening.
                American Woodshop used to be good. For some reason, the past two seasons or so, Scott Phillips seems a bit "off". He works like a frantic mad man now, and he seems jumpy. Before, he was folksy and methodical.
                Joe

Comment

• just started
                  • Mar 2008
                  • suburban Philly

Originally posted by drillman88

Seems like every time I put on one of the 5 PBS stations (all from different areas) Comcast carries here they are fundraising instead of showing the regular schedule.

Comment

• adauria
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jun 2009

I'm not too crazy about the fare on DIY these days, but there are a few good shows. That said, the only woodworking shows I get around here (TWC in NC) are NYW and The Woodwright's Shop. Ask TOH is a good show too. All of these air on the local PBS affiliate, and Ask TOH is also shown on DIY.

-Andrew

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I just did a 21 day search on my DirecTV system for wood or workshop. I found NYW on PBS and that's it. I get both HGTV and DIY.

NYW has been nothing but reruns, or old projects (younger norm) introduced by older norm.
                      Chr's

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Russell, NY, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

IMHO the "new" DIY channel SUCKS! Used to have a few good ww'ing shows..not anymore. My local PBS has a few on Sat. morning as long as they are not begging for money; then its cooking and other boring stuff. HGTV/DIY now are mostly over the top remodeling shows that range in the 500K range. Certainly out of most peoples price range. Oh well!!
                        RuffSawn
                        Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• thrytis
                          • May 2004
                          • Concord, NC, USA.
                          • Delta Unisaw

Woodsmith Shop is also available on some PBS stations. It is all tips and techniques, no projects except for quick jigs and fixtures. I think it is well done.
                          Eric

Comment

• JoeyGee
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

I will admit, I am spoiled when it comes to woodworking shows. I have 2 local PBS stations that carry NYW, TOH, ATOH, Woodsmith Shop, American Woodworker, Woodwright Shop and occasionally some wood turning show. There is also Hometime.

I would like to see the old NYW shows that were on HGTV and then DIY. I guess now that it looks like Nahm is semi-retired, they are reserving older NYW for the retreads on PBS.

I got greedy hoping DIY still showed them.
                            Joe

Comment

• gsmittle
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                              • BT 3100

Originally posted by drlien
                              I've had it for about a year, and when I first got it, Wood Works, NYW, and another show (can't recall the name) were on. Now, Ask This Old house is on periodically, but I haven't seen the others since late last year. I'm really disappointed. On the upside, my local PBS channel has added 2 shows called American Woodworker and Woodsmith Shop, so there are at least some woodworking shows out there.
                              Was that maybe the late, not terribly lamented, "Router Workshop?"

g.
                              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                              Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...