• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

"United Breaks Guitars"

You saw the video, now GET THE BOOK: http://www.UnitedBreaksGuitarsBook.com. Looking for a unique speaker for your next event: http://www.UnitedBreaksGuitars...

Unfortunately for United, it is a pretty catchy tune. They (United) better hope it doesn't get too much traction.
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

United's already said they will be speaking with him to come up with a resolution.

Frankly, if I were him, I'd hold out for something really big. He's getting a lot of publicity over this, and one shouldn't have to resort to such tactics just to get a problem resolved.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

It's not just United... I recently flew U.S. Airways to NC on a golf outing. When I checked my clubs, I was made to sign a release that USAir would not be responsible for damage to them, and then was charged a $50 checked baggage fee! Ridiculous! I'll never darken USAir's door again. How can these policies possibly be good for them? Phooey!

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
        When I checked my clubs, I was made to sign a release that USAir would not be responsible for damage to them, and then was charged a $50 checked baggage fee!
        I do suspect that some of those polices stem from abuse by people "playing the system." We routinely have people bring us machines and say they haven't been able to get it to turn on since the last time they had it here for repairs (months ago). They are stunned when I show them the event viewer with date stamps, and date stamps on files they've created, etc.

I even had one guy go so far as wiping his hard drive and then bringing me the machine and saying it never worked from day one. He wanted me to do a warranty claim for a major manufacturer. I introduced him to SMART, which is a feature of the hard drive which keeps track of run minutes/start cycles, etc., depending on manufacturer.

The 2-5% of the abusers out there pretty much ruin it for everyone else by doing things like checking already broken golf clubs, and then trying to get new ones from the airline.
        Last edited by cgallery; 07-09-2009, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Easy enough for them to check and see if the heads are broken off a $2000 set of golf clubs at check-in, and then take responsibility for any subsequent damage, particularly when you are charging people to carry the baggage...

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

UC, tell them to apply $10 of the $50 fee for a little thing we like to call INSURANCE! I'm sure that's all it would cost, if that, with the volume of insurance they would buy.

So they would only make $40, if they screwed up. BOO HOO!
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Redford MI.
              • Craftsman 21829

This really really irks me. You are paying a FEE to move your luggage and your self to your travel destination. You are a CUSTOMER of the airline. It is in their best interest to hire people who will not destroy their customers personal possessions. If this is how they are now treating customers look for them to go out of business shortly. BTW he did use a fairly sturdy case for the guitar.

While they were getting seated in the plane another passenger on the flight with him and his band almost yelled that they were out there throwing guitars. The bass player looked out the window just in time to see his guitar (in it's case) flying through the air and landing on the tarmac. (from the guitarists website)

This is total incompetence I hope the airline finds the errant employee's and fires them though I doubt they will.
              Last edited by sparkeyjames; 07-09-2009, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

The video has almost 720,000 hits in just over 3 days with close to 6,500 comments. Now they want to talk.

His final offer to settle for $1200 in flyer mileage for his trouble and inconveniece was rejected. Hopefully that offer is now off the table. Time to tighten the screws!
                Last edited by Pappy; 07-09-2009, 09:03 PM.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Bob Crosley
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Valrico, Florida.

That's just great! This is going to cost United a whole lot more than the cost of that guitar.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by Bob Crosley
                    That's just great! This is going to cost United a whole lot more than the cost of that guitar.
                    And yet some idiot with the power to reconcile the situation apparently doesn't see that... Serves 'em right, if you ask me.

Comment

• Turaj
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                      • BT3000 (1998)

Made the national news here tonight. They said he has written and recorded a follow up song and is waiting for United final answer before he makes the third and final song in this series!!! Maybe United should buy the rights to the song and use it in their commercials!!
                      Turaj (in Toronto)
                      "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by Turaj
                        Made the national news here tonight. They said he has written and recorded a follow up song and is waiting for United final answer before he makes the third and final song in this series!!! Maybe United should buy the rights to the song and use it in their commercials!!
                        That actually sounds like a reasonable resolution: Buy him a new guitar, then hire him to do a commercial for them, in which he and his music given clear publicity.

-Tim

Comment

• Alex Franke
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Chapel Hill, NC
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Genius. Never piss off a musician!
                          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I'm sorry.....too many people take their jobs for granted, if you are not satisfied with your job vent on your superiors, if they are unsympathetic, find a new job. Don't take it out on the customers or steal from your employer or ------ (whatever, fill in the blank). There are too many businesses in America that shouldn't exist due to lack of competence, lack of customer service or bad products/services. One can only hope that this economy will shake them out and strengthen the sales of the good companies.
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Great singing! Good song!

I remember an incident at the DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth) airport in the mid to latter 70's - before Lance Armstrong. There was a fellow from Europe flying to Austin or somewhere near and transferring in DFW. He watched from the windows as they took his back then - $2000 racing bike (in its carton/bag) and flung it on the ground. He didn't speak much English but he pitched such a fit screaming and yelling that he was almost arrested.

When the baggage handler was told what he did, he responded - "It was just a bicycle!"
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...