• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Camera Settings

Since I started using a digital camera, I've always used the "auto" setting. Back in the pre-digital days I used a 35mm SLR and was fairly competent with manual mode settings for aperture and speed even though there was an "auto" setting.

I have yet gone into "menu" to see what is available. But I was thinking...that a cool function for a digital would be when in the "auto" mode, to have a little readout for what the aperture and speed would be for that shot if set on "manual".
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

What camera have you got as many do what you want alhough you may have to enable a mode. Also does it have aperture and speed priority modes as that will essentially let you choose one or the other and let the camera set the other so you get more flexibility.

I wrote a short article recently on a related topic. I will see if there is some way to post it here.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • On the TARDIS
      • BT 3100

I have a DSLR and I love the fact that I can adjust one function and leave the rest in auto. It also has a complete manual mode. If I'm doing "snapshot" pictures, I'll leave it in auto.
      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

My canon reports this (XTi DSLR) in Program mode, which is the "auto" that we use to retain raw files. I use this when I want to snap quick shots without a chance to think about the exposure, or when my wife is using the camera. I think most point and shoot cameras should show this info if you set the display correctly.

Some other info...

Other modes for my camera (common to many) are as follows.

Aperture priority - you set the f stop, camera auto determines the exposure time.
        Time priority - you set the time, camera auto determines the f stop.
        Manual - set everything

I have rarely needed Manual to get a good exposure, mostly when shooting astronomical bodies. Aperture priority is useful for shooting portraits, to control depth of field. Playing with long exposure times is fun when shooting water, etc... we did a cool one with a sparkler where we would draw things in the air during the exposure.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• MilDoc

Uh, first question is, what camera do you have?

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Here is a short article I wrote for a local magazine. The topic is undoubtedly much deeper than this but they limit me to around 600 words.

For some strange reason you cant upload a PDF greater than 19.5K so I had to zip it.
            Attached Files
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by MilDoc
              Uh, first question is, what camera do you have?

It's Fuji 3800...not the latest or greatest of cameras. It's a hand-me-down from LOML. I'm familiar with the option settings that Keith listed as my 35mm camera is a Minolta XD-11.

What interest's me would be to have the info displayed while in "auto" mode just for info's sake. My Minolta has a 3 position option over the settings one way or another for either mode when making a shot. So, I was thinking if I set up for a picture, and do the "light touch" for the shutter and see the aperture and speed, I may want to go to manual mode to get a different setting. I don't know if I explained this correctly. It would be like having a camera expert standing next to me when I'm taking a picture and the camera is in the "auto" mode, and he tells what the settings are and makes suggestions to go to "manual" and go up or down in aperture or speed for a better picture.

I appreciate the input as some of you guys are really up on the new technology.
              Last edited by cabinetman; 06-21-2009, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I used to be a real camera buff, I had Olympus OM system, three or four manual and auto bodies, a slew of lenses from 28 to 400 mm including macro and zooms, plus equipment to do closeup macro photography, stands, belllows, extension tubes, not to mention the whole darkroom setup - autofucus enlarger etc.

recently I tried to do some macrophoto stuff with my Fuji S5100 which is a nice, magazoom dSLR-like camera but with a fixed 10X zoom lens.

I had a ring flash but no synch socket. But i did have a slave flash trigger (see, I told you I was well equiped) and a set of closeup lenses (not as nice as extenison tubes or bellows, but it worked). Unfortunately I needed to stop down to F16 or F22 due to the closeness of the ring flash, but even in the manual mode the smallest F-opening was only F9. I tell you with my Film SLRs I always used small F-openings when possible for macrophotography because of close flash work and very deep depth of field to get ultimate sharpness so F9 was to me, almost unimaginable. Yes, I was using the slowest speed sensitivity ISO setting.

Well, anyway, the net result of this experiment was that I needed some better equipment than a very good point and shoot camera to do some serious photo work.
                I haven't looked at the minimum F-openings on dedicated camera systems because I'm not ready to start over with bodies costing $900 and up plus similary costly lens systems that may very well be obsolete in 3 or 4 years.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

F-stops on PandS cameras tend to get a lttle mixed up and it is of course due to the lens but also relates to the small sensor size which is way smaller than 35mm.

Typically the lenses on my SLR go to f/22
                  Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                    It's Fuji 3800...not the latest or greatest of cameras. It's a hand-me-down from LOML. I'm familiar with the option settings that Keith listed as my 35mm camera is a Minolta XD-11.

What interest's me would be to have the info displayed while in "auto" mode just for info's sake. My Minolta has a 3 position option over the settings one way or another for either mode when making a shot. So, I was thinking if I set up for a picture, and do the "light touch" for the shutter and see the aperture and speed, I may want to go to manual mode to get a different setting. I don't know if I explained this correctly. It would be like having a camera expert standing next to me when I'm taking a picture and the camera is in the "auto" mode, and he tells what the settings are and makes suggestions to go to "manual" and go up or down in aperture or speed for a better picture.

I appreciate the input as some of you guys are really up on the new technology.

I know exactly what you mean. My camera does excactly what you are saying in every mode and even in full manual there is a display that lets you see if the camera think the setting you are choosing will be good or over/under exposed.

Sometimes there are various display modes. I noticed in the link you posted there is a DISP button. On an older panasonic I had if you pressed the disp button it had 4 modes one of which did also show all teh exposure information.
                    Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      I used to be a real camera buff, I had Olympus OM system, three or four manual and auto bodies, a slew of lenses from 28 to 400 mm including macro and zooms, plus equipment to do closeup macro photography, stands, belllows, extension tubes, not to mention the whole darkroom setup - autofucus enlarger etc.

recently I tried to do some macrophoto stuff with my Fuji S5100 which is a nice, magazoom dSLR-like camera but with a fixed 10X zoom lens.

I had a ring flash but no synch socket. But i did have a slave flash trigger (see, I told you I was well equiped) and a set of closeup lenses (not as nice as extenison tubes or bellows, but it worked). Unfortunately I needed to stop down to F16 or F22 due to the closeness of the ring flash, but even in the manual mode the smallest F-opening was only F9. I tell you with my Film SLRs I always used small F-openings when possible for macrophotography because of close flash work and very deep depth of field to get ultimate sharpness so F9 was to me, almost unimaginable. Yes, I was using the slowest speed sensitivity ISO setting.

Well, anyway, the net result of this experiment was that I needed some better equipment than a very good point and shoot camera to do some serious photo work.
                      I haven't looked at the minimum F-openings on dedicated camera systems because I'm not ready to start over with bodies costing $900 and up plus similary costly lens systems that may very well be obsolete in 3 or 4 years.

Wow Loring...I'm really impressed with your knowledge... overwhelmed actually. We here are exceptionally lucky. But, I'm trying to figure out what all this has to do with this thread.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Tacoma, WA
                        • BT3000

C-man, your camera should store the picture with all that information in the file, with a viewer you can usually see the EXIF info (IRFANView is a good example).

My little Canon stores all this:

Make - Canon
                        Model - Canon PowerShot A590 IS
                        Orientation - Top left
                        XResolution - 180
                        YResolution - 180
                        ResolutionUnit - Inch
                        DateTime - 2009:05:20 16:26:57
                        YCbCrPositioning - Centered
                        ExifOffset - 196
                        ExposureTime - 1/50 seconds
                        FNumber - 2.60
                        ISOSpeedRatings - 200
                        ExifVersion - 0220
                        DateTimeOriginal - 2009:05:20 16:26:57
                        DateTimeDigitized - 2009:05:20 16:26:57
                        ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
                        CompressedBitsPerPixel - 5 (bits/pixel)
                        ShutterSpeedValue - 1/50 seconds
                        ApertureValue - F 2.59
                        ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
                        MaxApertureValue - F 2.59
                        MeteringMode - Multi-segment
                        Flash - Flash not fired, auto mode
                        FocalLength - 5.80 mm
                        UserComment -
                        FlashPixVersion - 0100
                        ColorSpace - sRGB
                        ExifImageWidth - 3264
                        ExifImageHeight - 2448
                        InteroperabilityOffset - 3178
                        FocalPlaneXResolution - 14506.67
                        FocalPlaneYResolution - 14485.21
                        FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Inch
                        SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
                        FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
                        CustomRendered - Normal process
                        ExposureMode - Auto
                        White Balance - Auto
                        DigitalZoomRatio - 1.00 x
                        SceneCaptureType - Standard

Maker Note (Vendor): -
                        Macro mode - Normal
                        Self timer - Off
                        Quality - Superfine
                        Flash mode - Auto + red-eye reduction
                        Sequence mode - Single or Timer
                        Focus mode - Single
                        Image size - Large
                        Easy shooting mode - Full Auto
                        Digital zoom - None
                        Contrast - Normal
                        Saturation - Normal
                        Sharpness - Normal
                        ISO Value - Auto
                        Metering mode - Evaluative
                        Focus type - Auto
                        AF point selected -
                        Exposure mode - Easy shooting
                        Focal length - 5800 - 23200 mm (1000 mm)
                        Flash activity -
                        Flash details -
                        Focus mode 2 - Single
                        White Balance - Auto
                        Sequence number - 0
                        Flash bias - 0 EV
                        Subject Distance - 79
                        Image Type - IMG:PowerShot A590 IS JPEG
                        Firmware Version - Firmware Version 1.01
                        Image Number - 1000229
                        Owner Name -

Thumbnail: -
                        Compression - 6 (JPG)
                        XResolution - 180
                        YResolution - 180
                        ResolutionUnit - Inch
                        JpegIFOffset - 5108
                        JpegIFByteCount - 3757

Now just what that all means is another matter

Bill, on the Sunny Oregon Coast

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

Cman,

I just checked the manual online for the Fuji 3800 and it doesn look like you can do it on this camera. the options are pretty limited and it appears the manual mode isnt really full manula but lets you set a few other options such as exposure compe and Aperture Priority.

Bill is right that the EXIF should tell you what exposure settings it used but not until you download the pics. However, even in the AP mode you only have a choice of 3 f/stops f/2.8, f/4.8 & f/8.2 so not much flexibility there.
                          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Gary Lange
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Nov 2008
                            • Nixa, Missouri
                            • Grizzly 1023SL

I have a Canon SX100IS and just checked to see if it displayed the Aperture and Speed when in Auto Mode and sure enough it does. So if you are looking for a Camera that does what you want this on does it. It also has Manual Mode, Aperture Mode, or Speed Mode, Video Mode and several others Modes.

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by Gary Lange
                              I have a Canon SX100IS and just checked to see if it displayed the Aperture and Speed when in Auto Mode and sure enough it does. So if you are looking for a Camera that does what you want this on does it. It also has Manual Mode, Aperture Mode, or Speed Mode, Video Mode and several others Modes.

Have you been ready to shoot on "auto", then see the settings, and then switch to one of the manual modes and use a one or two up or down to make the shot?

Comment

Working...