• Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

here is my latest project....

ok, you all know that i have vanished from time to time since i bought my motorcycle. i have done quite a few things to it. mostly minor but i did do some big things too.

among the minor things were some lights that i added and did some electrical work and added just a tad bit chrome. among the big things, i rebuild the front end of the bike (sterring neck bearings, forks and new tire installed by myself) and just last night i added a car tire as my rear wheel.....yes, that is correct a CAR TIRE! they called it the 'darkside', but i think it should be called something more enlightened, but i dont make the rules

the CT drives a lot better, the bike feels planted, corner is amazing, the bikes seems like it has a ton more grip around corners......and the list goes on. here are some pics for your enjoyment. oh, by the way, you can look at my picasa site for more pics:

tire comparison:

on the bike:
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Great looking bike, and it's understandable how you can get distracted from a keyboard. As for the tire, as long as you're happy, that's what counts. BUT, you know the rules...don't make any decisions in life without consulting us first.

There's a reason why tires are called "motorcycle" tires. They are different than car tires. Starting with their shape, the edges (shoulders) are more rounded than car tires. This feature allows the bike to corner, as it will ride on some of the sidewall, which car tires don't do. Think of this feature as a "safety" feature in that there will be very little transitional deviation when cornering compared to a car tire which when laid over enough to corner will have a sharp change transferring to the suspension.

Other than that, there are load characteristics. Car tires are designed for weights between 500 LBS and 1300 LBS (approximate). Motorcycle tires between 125 LBS and 600 LBS (approx.). The rubber compound and tread/tire design perform as engineered when the contact patch is created by the weight exerted. You can find on the side of the tire detail ratings such as temperature, treadwear, traction, load range, etc.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I have been riding for 45 years and never heard of this on a street bike. I hope it works good for you.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• pierhogunn
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

love the modifications you made, and glad the bike feels more solid, now, keep having fun
        It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
          Great looking bike, and it's understandable how you can get distracted from a keyboard. As for the tire, as long as you're happy, that's what counts. BUT, you know the rules...don't make any decisions in life without consulting us first.

There's a reason why tires are called "motorcycle" tires. They are different than car tires. Starting with their shape, the edges (shoulders) are more rounded than car tires. This feature allows the bike to corner, as it will ride on some of the sidewall, which car tires don't do. Think of this feature as a "safety" feature in that there will be very little transitional deviation when cornering compared to a car tire which when laid over enough to corner will have a sharp change transferring to the suspension.

Other than that, there are load characteristics. Car tires are designed for weights between 500 LBS and 1300 LBS (approximate). Motorcycle tires between 125 LBS and 600 LBS (approx.). The rubber compound and tread/tire design perform as engineered when the contact patch is created by the weight exerted. You can find on the side of the tire detail ratings such as temperature, treadwear, traction, load range, etc.

i was wondering about both those "effects". Makes sense. I hope it works out for you.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

thanks cabinetman! i always consult, but this bike is keeping me from ww all togather and the related site from now on, i promise i will try to spend more time on the keyboard. i havent forgoten you guys, just wandered off.....

well i did a lot of reading and watching videos of the CT on bikes and found out that there are a ton of people who have been doing this. i actually got this idea after i read a thread in one of the motorcycle fourms. the web is full of information, you just got to go out there and find it. i am slow at that. here are some sites that you can look and see that CT perform better than MC tire on cruiser and other bikes.......the whole arguments and all is there....check it out, its interesting reading:

my primary source of info:

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

this thread shows a lot of different bike with a CT on it:

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/p...-t607.htm#6163

i even watched a whole bunch of youtube videos showing how the tire actually did in curves and turns, and its not what people think happens. here are few, there are a whole bunch out there:

a guy riding through curves and grass:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQtlt-HFFoo

guy doing figures 8 in parking lot:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAHlb...eature=related

anther good example of CT on a bike in curves and all:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKho...eature=related

CT are softer than a MT tire, its opposite of what people think. the first site that posted, some one actually did a test with a duromter.

a CT will have better wet traction, more contact patch in curves, because of more contact area --> better stopping distance, now with the CT, i didnt skid as fast as i use to with a MT tire on the back. if you drive one, you will see.

but anyhow, the above is just some of the information that is pretty interesting read that i found when i was trying to decide to go a CT on the back. so far i love it, i have a balance issue that i will try to take care of this weekend.

Comment

Working...