• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

What LOML Spent On Her Trip To Europe

My wife went to Italy and England for her 2 week vacation. She toured with her younger brother, and they had made a pact to spread the ashes of their deceased youngest brother in the Tiber River in Rome. That was probably a very solemn moment.

When she returned home Sunday, she brought me some foreign currency because she knows I like to collect weird things. Below are currencies that she didn't get to spend. The Euro, which she needed for Italy, and currency for England...10 pounds (that's the value...not the weight).

Very interesting artwork.

• BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

A nice gift for a collector of miscellanea.
    I've always thought foreign currency was more artistic (certainly more colorful) than American.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I still have some currency from the Dominican Republic. We went on our honemoon and there was some that we forgot to change back. I looked into doing so here in the US but the exchange rates were ruinous so I decided just to keep it as a souvenir.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by BobSch
        A nice gift for a collector of miscellanea.
        I've always thought foreign currency was more artistic (certainly more colorful) than American.

You want artistic and colorful. I've got this currency from Trinidad and the Bahamas.

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Instead of cashing in the leftovers, I've always kept samples of foreign currency. Some, like the Italian Lira, the French Franc and the Spanish Peseta, are now collectors items since those countries use the Euro. When I have a moment, I'll post some of the more interesting ones.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

The Bank Of England bases their currency on sterling silver. The paper money was originally a promissary note for the equivilent in sterling. Therefore a ten pound note is to represent ten pounds of silver.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

I've got several Lira notes from a semester in Italy in '92, neat colors and designs on some. I really like the 500 Lira coin; two types of metals, about the size of a quarter overall, a silver ring with text surrounding an inner bronze portion with graphics.

The notes from the Netherlands I have from my trip to Amsterdam have some cool designs.
              Erik

Comment

• docrowan
                • Mar 2007
                • New Albany, MS
                • BT3100

I keep a representative sample of the coins from my foreign travel. I always spent all my folding money.

Unfortunately, they make wonderful trinkets to dive for and my daughter and her friends love to swim all summer long.
                - Chris.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I have some from my foreign travels, and travels of current, and former family members, including Francs, Deutsch Marks, Pounds, and of course, Pesos, current and vintage. (I have a several 500 Peso coins from the 1980s). Oh yeah, and Canadian dollars... I don't recall which bill it was, but I think it is the 20 peso that has this little clear window thingy in it... VERY interesting... Some of the coins are two tone as well...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2003
                    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                    • BT3100

Hey Cab,

It could have been a tie (probably waiting for Father's Day).

Bruce
                    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...