• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Bing It

Ran across Bing, a new search. Looks pretty good. Anyone tried it?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

AFAIK, Bing is Microsoft's next generation of MSN Search... At least that is how it was presented to me... I am not likely to bother with it...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

You are right, it is MS, but I wouldn't dismiss it just yet.

If I understand the general chatter about the newer search solutions, everybody wants to reduce search results to more focussed outputs. Will that really happen? Dunno. But I am rooting for somebody to succeed in reading my mind and finding out what exactly I am searching...

their interface does seem to be geared towards driving advertisements. What is new is a thin vertical on the right (shows up on mouse-hover) that gives a preview of what the link's contents are...

And for immediate benefits, bing is gonna give us cashbacks; they are promising upto $2500 in cashback in a year; always something to look forward to...

For a neat comparision, check out Bing vs Google
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I may try it one day but I am in the habit of using Google, besides which Google also has google maps, images, etc.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• DaveS
          • May 2003
          • Minneapolis,MN

I have tried it a few times, and it is ok... not great, just ok.

I guess I have become a google power user, and I can almost always get what I need on the first page of hits.

But, mostly, the major problem I have with Bing is that every time I click the button to do a search, when the results come in I cannot help myself from shouting "BING!" like the guy from Ground Hog's Day

("Ned, Ned Ryerson???" "BING!").

Very distracting.

Comment

• DaveS
            • May 2003
            • Minneapolis,MN

Originally posted by crokett
            I may try it one day but I am in the habit of using Google, besides which Google also has google maps, images, etc.
            I will say that the Live.com (well, now Bing.com) "Bird's Eye" view on the maps is really great compared to the spotty google street view.

But, I still like google maps for directions: I like the way I can drag the route around when getting driving directions.

Comment

• tuttlejr
              Established Member
              • Aug 2003
              • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

I was not impressed and found it worse than the search engines that I have used: Yahoo and Google.
              Bob Tuttle

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Google is a great search engine but can't match what I like best about Live/Bing....

cashback summary

Pending $24.80 Available $0.00 In process $0.00 Rewarded $2580.10
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...