X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

Any realtors in the house?

We have had our home on the market for about 8 weeks.

We get about one showing per week, which I understand is typical for this house's price range, and in this particular local market.

One thing that we just noticed, however, of the 8 showings we've had so far, all 8 were from the same realty company (Coldwell Banker).

Does this seem unusual, or am I just being paranoid?
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

It sounds like the Coldwell Bankers are the go-getters in your area. Maybe they're just hungrier than the others, or the others are just giving up.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

When your contract expires I'd list with CB. When they get the entire 6% they'd double-down their efforts to sell it.

Comment

• DaveS
        • May 2003
        • Minneapolis,MN

Oh, I should have mentioned that we are listed with Coldwell Banker.

Comment

• justaguy
          Established Member
          • Jun 2006
          • Chesapeake VA

I am about to put my house on the market and have been doing a bunch of research leading to picking a broker, agent, and setting the asking price. If my house was on the market for eight weeks and only had eight showings all from the listing company I would think that something is wrong.

Are you compfortable that you have your house priced appropriately? If so you might want to consider something I am going to do. I plan to offer an additional 1/2% commission to the buyer's agent. I have heard from a couple of sellers agents in my area that this tactic can move you house up on the showing list for agents.

Comment

• JSUPreston
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Montgomery, AL.
            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Are you listed in MLS? I didn't catch it in your description.
            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

That all the viewing have come from your realtor is ok. It means they are talking it up among themselves.

OTOH, there should be interest from other realtors. Has the house been put on the weekly tour where other realtors will get to see it? This practice is seen by some to be passe', but I believe it is still a good way to get interest by other local agencies.

As has been mentioned, the house must be on MLS. It also must be easily found on the internet throug MLS searches.

JR
              JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

My take is that your broker is pushing the sales amonst its staff since they get the commission both ways (buying and selling). This is not necessarily bad, but not necessiarily good either.

One problem is that the broker is steering potential buyers preferentially to their listed properites as opposed to all properties listed by other cos.
                If yours is the by far largest broker than thet may be good. But if your broker is one of many in the area with fractional market share, then it indicates a pattern of poor real estate practices where the the agents steer buying clients only to homes sold by that broker. Your exposure will be limited and only aggressive buyers who insist on lookin at and seeing houses in the MLS listings and not allow the agent to preselect houses for them to see based upon what they want.

Theoretically agents should be working for the client (buyer) and showing them the houses that best fit their criteria. But if this company is only showing houses filtered on criteria of the client AND sold by that broker, then the broker is looking out for #1 (themselves) first.
                If a broker has a reputation for not showing other broker's homes, then its not too hard to believe that other brokers retailiate by not showing that broker's homes.

Your record of 8 of 8 seems to indcicate this might be happenening.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

I think it is fairly typical for the listing broker to do the majority of the showings. They're gong to take every chance they can get at that double dip. Plus they like to demonstrate activity to the seller.

Other brokers consider a fast sale their incentive. If you were to set a price below market value, you'd see plenty of action from these other brokers.

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

Oh, I forgot mention: it is perfectly appropriate to ask your realtor what specific promotional efforts they have done. Talking it up at the internal office meetings is a good thing, but not enough.

These people are supposed to be working for you, and you probably have signed an exclusive contract for them to represent you.

JR
                    JR

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

Another thing that is often done is to use a house as an intro to the house they want to sell. You want to ask the broker if the clients that saw you house made any offers on other houses. You then want to step back and ask yourself if there is anything wrong with your house. Are the realtors saying:

Here is a house just like the last one only;
                      it's less expensive...
                      it's in a better area....

or
                      Here is a house that is the same price only;
                      it has nothing that needs fixing
                      it is in a better area

well you get the idea.

I really hope that's not the case, but when we bought 5 years ago we ran into that sales technique.

Bill
                      Last edited by Mr__Bill; 05-31-2009, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• mineengineer
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
                        • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

what part of pittsburgh are you trying to sell

What neighborhood of the burgh are you located? Thats pretty good for the burgh since the housing market here is pretty steady. Coldwell banker and Howard Hannah are probably the biggest players in Pittsburgh, but I like Northwood the best. If your in the South Hills I might find a buyer for you, at work we have a few new guys house hunting right now.
                        Link

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JR
                          These people are supposed to be working for you, and you probably have signed an exclusive contract for them to represent you.

JR

they're really working for the commission and promotions/bonuses. You pay indirectly the commission.
                          They get bonuses and promotions when they meet quotas and help other company agents make sales and bring the buyers commission as well as the seller's commission to the company and their fellow employees.
                          Not to mention the other agents will be then willing to steer them sales or buyers on the next house.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by justaguy
                            Are you compfortable that you have your house priced appropriately? If so you might want to consider something I am going to do. I plan to offer an additional 1/2% commission to the buyer's agent. I have heard from a couple of sellers agents in my area that this tactic can move you house up on the showing list for agents.
                            When we sold our first place in San Diego right before/start of the bust in
                            2006, this is a tactic we tried about 2 months in. We got a surge of people
                            coming in because the realtors were interested in the extra bonus, but after
                            that died down, no buyer. In the end we dropped our price $40K AND we
                            had to pay an extra 1/2%. 4 stressful months total to sell.

So I'm not convinced this tactic works too well. In retrospect, if we had been
                            more competively priced at the outset, I think we would have sold faster, made
                            more profit, and not had to pay that extra 1/2%.

Paul

Comment

• DaveS
                              • May 2003
                              • Minneapolis,MN

Thanks for all the input guys...

For you Pittsburgh residents, we live in the North Hills, near North Park.

I don't honestly know if we are priced correctly. It is hard to do your own research here in PA because the square footage of homes is not published.

We really went with the very knowledgeable, highly recommended, "top producer" agent's advice on this.

We did get 3 realtors to give us market analysis reports, and 2 of the 3 came to the same conclusion on price, (the third was much lower).

We did just reduce the price nearly 10%. I suppose we will lower it another 5% here in a couple weeks.

We completely renovated the place - all new flooring, wall paper removal, new high end mechanicals, new high end appliances, new kitchen, new master bathroom, new 50 year roof, etc.

Here is some pictures of the house, and some of the remodel progress, in case anyone is interested.

Outside pics:
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/seekins/...eat=directlink

Bathroom remodel:

New kitchen:

"Before" pictures of kitchen:

New wood floors:

Listing on Realtor.com:
                              http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...101_1107924432

Comment

Working...