• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Does anyone else do this?

I'm a pretty active guy. Many times I find myself working around the house (inside or outside), and I might take my watch off, or take my glasses off (yes, I can see pretty well without them) if I'm working on something where they'll be in the way, get ruined, or just make things miserable for me.

Here's the problem: I might be doing physical work when it's pretty hot outside, so I take my glasses off because the sweat just runs down into them, making them useless anyway. Or I'll set my knife down on a fence post or something because I'll need it again in a few minutes. There are any number of different scenarios that find me putting something where I shouldn't put it. Then I don't remember where I put it. Does anyone else have that problem? Age has nothing to do with it. Now where is my mouse?

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

um, yup, all the time.

My FIL lost a $700 pair of some awful prescription super-de-duper advanced glasses...

he is still looking for them, but I bet they are in a jacket pocket some where
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

ALL the time!

What was the question again
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Such a common problem and certainly one that I face all too often! Glasses, knife, screwdriver, whatever. The fact of the matter is that I know I'm not forgetful, crazy, or inattentive and in many, many cases, the lost item seems to end up being found, (almost magically) in a place that I know that I previously checked. Actually I excuse the problem as NOT mine, but one in which the "blue men" are at fault!

Yep that's what I said, the "blue men".

I recall quite a number of years ago, a "Twilight Zone" episode, in which the plot was about "Time" and the episode (IIRC) went something like the main character, misplaced something, started to leave the room and then abruptly turned around, coming back into the room... and there was this "surprised" blue man standing there with the misplaced tool in his hand (blue skin, overalls, etc.)

The plot was that each frame of time was basically "set-up" by these "time workers". Each event/scene that we humans experienced was built by these blue men. Teams of them would spec out the existing time frame and then duplicate the next time frame so that we could "experience" it.

Well, the episode went on to explain that occasionally somebody (one o the blue men) would slip up, forgetting to properly place an object in the next time frame, in which case the human would suddenly discover the object was missing. This could of course go on for several frames, until the "blue men" themselves discovered that they had missed placing it properly or not at all. In which case their supervisor would make the correction!

(Actually, in real movie production there is a "continuity coordinator" who is responsible for making sure each scene filmed in a motion picture is properly setup and has all the props in place, from one picture shoot to another.)

So, when these "lost" or "misplaced" items occur in my life, I don't fret too much about it as I know it's not me.... it's the "blue men"!

CWS

ps, I should point out that if this happens too often (as it appears to be doing with me), you might want to duplicate some of those items that you most often loose. For example, I now have three sets of safety glasses, a dozen razer knives, and four tape measures!!! (I'm not sure four of the latter is enough though!).
        Last edited by cwsmith; 05-28-2009, 06:54 PM.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I do that all the time with tools at whatever jobsite I am working on. I solved the problem by trying to choose 'one spot' that I put my tools down unless I am using them. It mostly works.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

LOML and I believe in the saturation method. eg. If pens are a problem buy dozens until they are everywhere. I am pretty methodical with my glasses. Now the cell phone is another story. If it didn't ring, I would never find it.

Steve
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Thalermade
              • Dec 2002
              • Ohio
              • BT 3000

Ed, I had to double check to make sure that I didn't write the original post.

It is getting to the point that the only thing that I can easily remember is that I am very forgetful.
              My wedding ring has been found in many places around the house and garage.
              Tools can get lost in milliseconds, and I will not have moved a step!!

I think there may be some truth to the "blue men".

you are not alone
              Russ

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

You're not alone. I do it all the time and it can be terribly frustrating. My wife finally put her glasses on an elastic band so that she can let them hang from her neck when she doesn't need to wear them.

In our house, the problem is even worse because we both tend to be messy and leave piles of things around.

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

When I lost my watch for 2 days, I thought I'd go nuts. Just didn't realize how often I look at it during the day. Where did I finally find it? In the linen closet on a shelf. I have no idea how it got there or why I took it off when I was near the linen closet.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Well, I don't have a problem with my glasses, since I can't see past my nose without them. Now tools...
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by Thalermade
                      My wedding ring has been found in many places around the house and garage.
                      Russ
                      That is found at YOUR house and garage?

Glasses on the forehead, when I am reading up close (blind at a distance, and like the Dr.'s that perform lasiks, I haven't had it.
                      Glasses on the nightstand, and not there the next day (knocked off, and afraid to step on them), or left at the computer.
                      Tools set down, when the phone rings, or mother nature calls.

Not to mention, I think I have lost my mind a few times.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • Chapel Hill, NC
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Ed62
                        There are any number of different scenarios that find me putting something where I shouldn't put it. Then I don't remember where I put it. Does anyone else have that problem?
                        Once after having lost the television remote control for nearly a week, it finally turned up in the back of the freezer.
                        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

I never have that problem....

....when I'm alseep! During the waking hours is another story (or several a day!)
                          Last edited by Pappy; 05-28-2009, 09:22 PM.
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• cobob
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Rolla, MO, USA.
                            • BT3100

Aw shucks; most recently, I can't find my grease gun. I keep asking myself, "How can you lose a grease gun?!" I've looked everywhere twice. It's not in any shirt or jacket pocket.

Comment

• BerniePA
                              Established Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • San Tan Valley, AZ
                              • Grizzly 0575

Well I don't think that.......

What problem were you fellas sayin' you were havin' again??
                              Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

Working...