• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

lawn mower question need carb gaskets

What do I get the number off of, to get a gasket kit for the lawnmower? It is a Briggs & Stratton, and the bowl gasket is shot (drained the bowl and it came off, and the gasket is oval). Is there a number on the carb somewhere, or do I need the motor number? (never rebuilt one, always have had it done, but the old timer who has always fixed me up, is having heart issues and I don't want to bother him).

Thanks
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

You should use both numbers if possible but engine number will probably get you the kit you need.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

lawnmower question

To be sure of getting the proper gaskets, take the carb/ fuel tank assembly with you to a mower repair shop. They can usually tell the proper one needed by a quick look at it....

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by Tom Slick
        You should use both numbers if possible but engine number will probably get you the kit you need.

That should do it. In a jam, you could go to an auto parts store and pick up gasket material (comes in sheets...varied thicknesses) and cut your own.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

When you figure it out, let me know. I also need the needle / seat assembly as well. I kinda left gas in mine too long...

BTW, for what it's worth, mine ran more or less, but really badly and would stall. I poured about a quarter of a quart bottle of Seafoam into the fuel tank and ran it out, repeated the process. The mower runs pretty close to new now.. But I want to get the carb apart just to make sure...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

Tractor make, model and s/n... google for parts lists online.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Here is the Briggs website. From here, you can see manuals, parts lists, get tech support, etc. There is a loooong number stamped on the motor cowling of Briggs engines, usually near the cylinder head. If you copy down the whole number before you go online, it will help you zero in on what you need.

Comment

• Salty
                • Feb 2006
                • Akron, Ohio

Similar to my experience so I'll share what I know/did.
                In my case I lost the govenor spring while emtying the tank. Could not find it and could not find a replacement anywhere local.
                So, I found a place called ordertree.com
                Placed an order for a spring, check valve seat, screen, gaskets and foam air cleaner. Total shipped was less than $25.
                The model and type numbers should be stamped on the engine block. Sometimes they are painted over and difficult to read. An old trick I learned years ago is to hold a white piece of paper next to the number and it makes it stand out more to read. As I recall, mine was on the front of the block up under the flywheel cover. I had to tilt the mower back to be able to read it.
                Once I put the new govenor spring on it has been running fine so I'll wait till next year to rebuild it or if it needs it this year. At least I'll have the parts available when I need them.
                Hope this helps.

Salty
                Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Also check the cost of a replacement carb. On my pressure washer, the kit was only a couple of bucks cheaper. Worth the $$$ to save the time of a rebuild.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                    Also check the cost of a replacement carb. On my pressure washer, the kit was only a couple of bucks cheaper. Worth the $$$ to save the time of a rebuild.
                    If I figured out which one it is, I doubt it (maybe I am nieve). The carb died, in about the time it took to drain the bowl. I had taken off the gas tank and blown out most of the carb, when I had tested it. So I then took off the carb and bowl and cleaned it out, but the bowl gasket was shot (self propeled push mower). I THINK I have which one figured out, but I thought the sticker on the mower had the info. Doesn't seem like it (have to take the shroud off tomorrow). If I am right, the HIGH side I have found for the kit, is $7 (gasket kit, since the carb cleaned up fine). Then I think I will have this one licked.

Thanks all
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Update

The store was out of the gasket kit, and a couple of places online, showed it as discontinued (by them, or B&S?). I picked up the rebuild kit for $2 more (carb replacement was $30). I just used the gaskets, after cleaning it, and put it back together, and it started, and gas starts pouring out the carb. At this point it is all back together, and I figured I screwed up the bowl gasket, or the drain gasket, so I replace both again, and start it without the air cleaner. Gas was coming out a vent. Back off the mower, and used the rebuild kit (rubber that the needle valve went into had split and gas was always coming in, as the needle wouldn't seat properly). Put it all back together, primed, and fired on the first pull, no leaks.
                      Took it back to my B-i-l and had him test it. He couldn't believe it, and actually seemed to enjoy mowing (a first).

Now, I have one rider that has been sitting a few years, I think I will clean it up and see if I can get it up and running.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Comment

Working...